The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Learning sound
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear
Learning sound

Hi people, I've been DJ'ing and producing since about 2008 but never really built up a good knowledge of sound, which is what I'm trying to focus on now. I'm building a studio in my bedroom, so far I got a DJ set that I love (750 MKII and 3 800 MKII's), a solid new ultra wide QHD monitor all running on my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X. Next to that I have my producing headphones Sennheiser HD 25. I try to also use my AirPods pro to produce and master my songs (I'm aware they are not seen as legit, but AirPods are used by the biggest group of people so great for reference). The last couple months I've been investing more in my studio, upgraded my old behringer 900 mixer some time ago for the pioneer (which obviously made DJ'ing fun again), and replaced my old 32 inch TV with the LG Ultrawide with USB-C. Awesome device. Also got an external 4tb hdd for my music collection (read: livesets) and a 2x4tb Synology RAID 1 DiskStation.

Reason for joining this forum is because I also have 2 KRK RP5 G2 speakers from at least 2013. Back when I got them they seemed like awesome speakers that professionals use but nowadays they get bad reviews. I just might replace them, but I want some further info on what will be good, what will be necessary and what will not be wasted money (as I'm still in my parent's attic I can't exactly go super loud), but then I'm also looking to maybe move out in a year or 1-2.

So yeah long story short been producing music for years and years now but still not really a clue on what to look for in good speakers or headphones even. Got my current headphones because 90% of all professional DJ's have them.
Old 2nd August 2020
Greetings Dan Raven

Welcome to Gearslutz 🎧
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Asking about sound is a very broad question that is difficult to answer. The best way to ask more concise and narrowed down questions are to start with the basics. Like, "What is sound?" basic. The information may not be immediately helpful, but it should get you to questions that will allow you to be more precise in your questions so people can be more helpful.

In terms of your gear, monitors and headphones, it looks like you have what
DJs typically get. My questions would be, "Why do DJs choose specific gear?"

Here is a discussion on two different Monitors.

KRK rokits vs YAMAHA HS

Thread about Headphones

DJ Headphones

A thread asking the question about audio engineering basics.

What audio engineering basics should I study if I want to be a producer?

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

I'd like to add that experience is a huge player in knowing the difference in what your needs are and if you're having a hard time figuring out what to do right now, then sometimes the best thing to do is just dive right in. Experience is the best teacher as long as your mind is open, your awareness is high, and you listen and read a lot about what you are seeking to learn more about.

Also, welcome to the forums!
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear
Thank you for your answers so far and for welcoming me yeah this was really to introduce myself and what I want to achieve with this forum, which was very broad haha. I expect it to take some time
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear