The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lost in a sea of brain cables
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

Lost in a sea of brain cables

Hiiii!

Ok so basically here’s the deal.

I learned classical piano from 6-12, and then taught myself guitar from that, and I sing. I’m not very good at any of them now (26), but I can hold a tune and improv some of this and that, you know, I play at open mics and people compliment me, but I can’t finish turning my poetry into a complete song due to lack of proficiency lol. So, you know. More like a wannabe. Or a hobbyist. Or a never-gonna-be because my perfectionist streak won’t allow it.

Personal details aside, I’ve been wandering around pretty lost in life for quite some time. When I recall times in my life I was at my best, it’s hands down the time I started DJ’ing. I picked it up fast but wasn’t in a position to set myself up (I was 15), so relied on a place to play their gear. Then an Earthquake happened and drowned all the gear (and my CD collection).

I gave up on music after that. For a long time.

I got back into acoustic stuff a couple of years ago.

Over lockdown I played on FL and bam, the overwhelming urge to produce doof doof music hit me like a ton of bricks and basically I’m gonna drop all my (not very many)?savings on the set up I need to allow me the ability to make music the way I want to. I don’t know f all about synths to be honest, but I know that’s how I’m going to get my ideas out. Straight on FL was fine but I’m just a bit more fidgety than that.

I need a mic so I can sing, rap, and speak.
I need something that can easily add effects to said vocals.
I’m going to try different DAWs but I’m leaning towards the Korg volca series for hardware so I’ll use whatever is the most compatible with that, I suppose.
I want an easy to use bass maker?
Like in my dream world there’s a thing that I can play a key on a board and I can see the wave and then see it be altered as I fiddle with knobs. Like, I want to draw my own waves, you know? But maybe that’s not possible.
And bass maker is not a drum machine but works like one and maybe if it’s a combo then deal!
Anyway, so I want a synth but yeah I mean I don’t really want to make 80s sounds but I want the ability to for when I do want to but I also want to be able to make dirty, deep, disgusting, bouncy, wobbly baaaass like you know the sound an airplane propeller makes as it builds up speed if you were standing next to it.
And you know like I know you need things for a set up, I did a live sound course 10y ago so like I know but I don’t know. An interface (does that affect sound quality?), a mixer? As well as a ddj type thing (probably specifically the pioneer ddj) as I want to mix other people’s music I think is dope with my own obviously like I want to produce live edm whilst mixing you know idk I’ve confused myself.
I mean clearly I know nothing.
But I’m gonna learn and I’m gonna smash it.
Im all ears, feed me knowledge ^_^ please.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Welcome @ plznty but what you should do is retrain your sights on piano and resist the urge to noodle in A DAW as the world needs more musically competent types who can make music w/o a DAW.
Old 16th June 2020
Greetings plznty

Welcome to Gearslutz
Old 4th July 2020
Just some thoughts

Like you, I started with a classical background. I learned piano, violin and a few other bits and bobs as a kid. I never stopped playing the piano, but recently started to take it into the electronic/synthesised genre. I mix the two and create this weird slightly cringey stuff, but hey - it's a creative process and that's what I really enjoy.

In terms of gear setup, I'm still kinda a newbie, fumbling my way around this.., but I master everything in Logic Pro X, which I find super capable. I watch videos on youtube and bit-by-bit I build my knowledge. Logic also has a number of good in-built synths and plugins/effects, so you can do a lot without having to play for additional stuff. Outside of the DAW, I have a few midi devices - a keystep controller, a Novation X-Station (which I absolutely love), a stage piano for the big heavy piano stuff, and a Behringer Model D, for when the stock synth sounds in Logic aren't enough. Oh, and I have a very cheap condenser microphone run into the audio interface as well for very very occasional vocals.

I'm always perving at new gear. I think I'm a bit behind the curve in terms of what's possible. You check out artists like Neon Vines and see all the live setup she has with ableton and things. It's a bloody jungle out there and I think it just comes down to what works for you, your music and your workflow.

As for visualising sound at a wave-level of detail, there are some monitors you can get to plug into your DAW to do that, but actually, you'll find that once you understand what your various synth filters, LFOs, waveforms etc are doing, then you can do your waveform analysis with your ear. You will hear beats and harmonics coming up between oscillators. Put a bit of delay and reverb on that and you can have some pretty cool layering effects and you pull filter resonance up and down with the beat of your track.

Keep us posted and have fun!

Christo
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear