The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Folksinger/Beginning Producer
Old 7th February 2020
Here for the gear

Folksinger/Beginning Producer

Hi y'all,

Happy to be here. I created this account mainly to ask some recording questions, especially with room setup, but I thought I would also introduce myself.

I've been writing and performing on and off for the last decade or so, but as of late I haven't had much in the way of energy for live performance, so I decided to challenge myself by recording. The only time I've ever been recorded were some demos I recorded at a small studio as a prize for a songwriting contest eight years ago.

My stuff is in the realm of folk singer-songwriter, usually pretty political. I've been really into Americana/Alt-country stiff like Jason Isbell, Josh Ritter, The Jayhawks etc., so that's the sound I've found my produced material ebbing toward. I want a full band production, so I've bought an electric and bass and learned how to use EZDrummer and will do everything myself.

Acoustics: Martin OM-28, Martin JC-16RE Aura, Silver Creek T-170. I use the OM-28 for most things, as it's my lifer, and I use the JC-16 for open tunings. While I track rough things, I've been using the JC for all acoustic parts using the Aura pickup just to get something in the DAW. The Silver Creek is a discontinued MusiciansFriend guitar that I use as a beater (it's actually really nice).

Electric: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster. I am new to electrics, and just bought this one, which is as much of a steal as its reputation deems it. I didn't think I'd ever enjoy playing electric this much. I bought a Mustang modeling amp to save money on pedals, since the only one I own is a tuning pedal.

Bass: Ibanez TMB-100. I knew nothing about playing bass before starting this recording project, but this was supposedly good value, and I think I'm getting better at it. I've been plugging directly in.

Piano: Yamaha P-45, with Addictive Keys that came free with the Focusrite.

DAW/Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd gen), Reaper, and I'll add EZDrummer here.

Mics: SM-57, SM-58, MXL 990, MXL 991. I got the MXLs for basically nothing and just wanted to have a condenser to experiment with. I've done no mic recording so far, though, since I don't have the space for it. I think I'll eventually splurge for an SM-27 and record both guitar and vocals with it.

The house I'm living in has a renovated art studio on the property, and it's currently being vacated by its tenant, so I'm going to move into there to do recording. I think I need the dedicated space to avoid feeling overwhelmed. I will be asking for recommendations on how best to set up the room on an extremely limited budget.

Nice to meet y'all!
Old 8th February 2020
Greetings cgrahamophone,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search