The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I feel like rumplestiltskin
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear

I feel like rumplestiltskin

Hi All -
New to the forum. Been reading for the last few months.
I first got into synths in middle school, and the last time my studio was fully set up was about 25 years ago. Big fan of synth pop (anything Vince Clarke, OMD, PSB, New Order, Junior Boys, Cut Copy). Also played in "rock" bands here and there until about 12 years ago. Since then have been focused on business and kids.

Music was always something I'd get back into when the kids left, but a recent rebalancing got me back into it. I feel like Rumplestiltskin, awoken to a whole new world. The last time I sequenced a song was note-by-note event-based in Cakewalk or onboard the O/1W in 1992. Now the whole paradigm has shifted as I play with Abelton Live or even Garage Band. The synths I paid literally nothing for in the 90's are worth thousands..AND, I was most excited to find I can essentially get a minimoog or a Pro-1 for 250 bucks. It's also great I can finally learn sound design (Syntorial) - back in 90's it would have been a college course.

By the way- it's as addicting as ever after being away from 25 years. I can get lost for hours playing with stuff (and reading Gearslutz). Unfortunately my older two kids aren't into music, but my youngest has been playing with me a bit in the studio. His favorite band is Queen! ::

Here's a photo of the studio I have setup in the basement temporarily. Still figuring out workflow. I'm going to finish the basement in the next few months. Just figuring out how to best isolate the room.

Equipment and some fun acquisition stories:
  • Korg O1/W FD - first keyboard for high school graduation. Didn't realize til later this wouldn't produce the sounds I wanted.. so I went shopping....
  • Oberheim Matrix 6 - Before ebay or craigslist in 1994, I wanted the "oberheim sound". I saw an ad on a message board for the Obie in the Haight in SF. Paid ~200. He had another keyboard he insisted selling me for 20 bucks, even though I didn't know what it was nor wanted it. I gave in. It was a weird transaction, he just sat on the floor, we think he needed drug money. That keyboard turned out to be.....
  • The Roland SH-101. Either 20 or free. Cleaned, replaced the LFO and power switches last week. Ready to go. So fun, sounds amazing. Should have looked at more message board ads.
  • Novation Bass Station Rack (not pictured)- got it for CV for SH-101. going to sell this now that I have the BeatStep Pro and the BOOG.
  • Mackie 1202VLZ
  • Korg S3 (not shown) - guy i was writing music with for a bit gave me this..never used it...going to sell this.
  • Roland JX-3P (not shown) -- girl I was dating insisted on giving me her family keyboard. Tried to give it back, she refused. Should have dated more women with keys laying around. Thinking about getting the KIWI upgrade.
  • Behringer Model D - Fun, fun, fun! I did buy the minimoog app, but hate the interface.
  • Beatstep Pro - thinking about returning it and waiting for the Keystep Pro.
  • Boston Grand Piano (not in the basement)
  • Martin D1 Guitar (not shown)
  • Violin - Stradivarious clone (not shown) from early 1900's. People have been cloning musical instruments for centuries.. :P Thinking about putting this through the moog filter...
  • Korg Little Bits Synth Kit - my son's.

Since this is Gearslutz and GAS has already hit me, the acquisition list:
  • Drum Machine - thinking Vermona or the Behringer 909 clone, maybe TR8s
  • Monitors - don't know what yet. Using AKG 240's from 1992 for now.
  • Outboard effects - Going ITB for the moment.
  • Behringer Pro 16 when it comes out.. and pretty much any analog clone - and then maybe dive into their modular clones...
Attached Thumbnails
I feel like rumplestiltskin-basement-studio.jpg  
Old 6th February 2020
Greetings fatboym,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search