The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
hi
Old 5th February 2020
Here for the gear
hi

New to this forum... Just wanted to say hello ... I started out with nothing from bad childhood aged 12 n being homeless .... somehow got through all that and discovered I could sing ....down the line I bought a little van n started a little business became a singer/ (I now dj/host n sing) and play a bit of guitar (very badly) ...I love music it took me away from all the s... ...started out at 18 in a band then in boy girl duo for 15 years now finally on my own ... I never had it to be famous or wanted to do anything but pay my way through life. Singing paid for my kids through school and my education n my wife's at University... I was happy I became a journalist and a teacher my Mrs got a top job I stopped singing ... then (wont go into it) we ended up splitting after 23 years ... lost everything...nearly my life...I have decided to go back to what saved me all them years ago ... bought a van started again...its tough....but the only time I feel me again is when I sing/entertain. Though some songs I used to sing just because they were good songs now actually have meaning that pains me and its tough to sing some stuff.

My attitude has changed and my outlook on life in general...

Music was my first love...and it will be my last...
Old 6th February 2020
Greetings Partyman,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Welcome @ Partyman , what genre(s) do you sing and have you took/are you taking voice lessons?
Old 10th February 2020
Here for the gear
Hi synth n boombapdame....

I sing mainly indie best I suppose ...but all sorts of stuff pop, rock, n whatever the occasion calls for from Neil diamond to the killers ... I have been singing a while 30 years ...bands and duo and now just on my own...I have never had a singing lesson I even failed in the audition at school for the choir (wanted to join cos my girlfriend was in it) I remember they made me stand up audition to a piano n and sing a song called ... my grandfathers clock...I was 12 n nervous n just could not do it... the music teachers report said I did not have a musical bone in my body... Anyway years later some guy who sings the eagles got me up on stage and we sang summer of 69 together n he said boy you can sing ....I tried it out one night went to this pub one night n they had a competition on I sang - that lovin feeling and a song by buddy holly called rave on ....I won first prize a bottle of vodka n 50 pounds woke up with a hang over n decided if i was going to fund my education I would sing in the evening - bought some kit n off i went ... dj ing / bands / karaoke / boy girl duo n yep solo too... i did ok....

funny thing was ...I came across a backing cd that had this my grandfathers clock on it... after being a pro for about ten years - so bought it for a laugh took it home n whilst practicing some brian Adams n eagles n stuff i put it on...and guess what ...i still cant sing it... must be some mental block but it still cracks me up...I can sing roy orb i drove all night and all sorts of stuff that is way harder but still can not sing this simple crappy little song...not that I would ever want to.

...just started off doing ok as a singer built up my gear n have a decent mobile rig now... I wanted a job that would help pay me through university and life ...and ended up still being just ok lol although i got hurt by the university of life ... I got by though ... paid the gas bill y'know.... Never one to brag about these things buddy. I am a bit of an all round entertainer who like a lot of us sold his soul playin the covers kinda guy...I mix this with dj in .... it pays more than the band gigs - more work more crap to carry on yer own but hey I am still kickin for now n living for that buzz...how about you?
Old 10th February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Greetings Partyman,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
thanks man...
Old 12th February 2020
Here for the gear

Welcome

Welcome Partyman, great to hear your story! By the way, I'm new to Gearslutz as well.

I really liked the part where you said that one of your teachers had told you that "you didn't have a musical bone in your body", yet you ignored his/her comment, persisted and succeeded in your singing endeavor...I have a similar story: one of my earliest guitar teachers told me that I wouldn't be able to get very far as a guitar player because I played guitar left handed and upside down (he thought it was very limiting)...but years later, I managed to prove him wrong by playing guitar in/for a few professional bands/artists in my area that are doing very well in the scene to this day...these days since I am no longer in a band, I am mostly involved in the production side of things.
Old 12th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalayanger View Post
Welcome Partyman, great to hear your story! By the way, I'm new to Gearslutz as well.

I really liked the part where you said that one of your teachers had told you that "you didn't have a musical bone in your body", yet you ignored his/her comment, persisted and succeeded in your singing endeavor...I have a similar story: one of my earliest guitar teachers told me that I wouldn't be able to get very far as a guitar player because I played guitar left handed and upside down (he thought it was very limiting)...but years later, I managed to prove him wrong by playing guitar in/for a few professional bands/artists in my area that are doing very well in the scene to this day...these days since I am no longer in a band, I am mostly involved in the production side of things.
Greetings Himalayanger,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search