The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi and Greetings
Old 1st February 2020
Here for the gear
Hi and Greetings

Hello folks!

I have been a lurker for a while now, maybe 12 years.

I did start on digital audio, mainly as an archiver and restorer of old field recordings. Back in 1991 when the fastest Mac was a Quadra and the the Digidesign (before Avid) cards were long and expensive and recordable CDs were $5 each and deteriorated quickly. LOL. That project took about 4 years and I was doing some of the work in India. I also on the side played bass on a semi-professional basis as well as sax. But met with musicians who had synths and had some time with vintage gear or what is vintage now. Because of my archiving project, I have some education on digital restoration, noise removal and a lot of tape tricks of the trade as well as fixing old field recorders. Helped install 2 ADAT and Protools home studio installations for some friends. I had a subscription to the old Mix magazine, maybe for 2 years.

When I finally worked for a chip company in 1999-2000, I stopped tinkering with digital audio and was faintly aware of what was going on but for the most part did not keep up with it

I did work on audio and video codecs but deep low in the primitives. I understand some DSP as well as how to emulate circuits in FPGA. All work related and my company is not directly into audio.

Since 2000, concentrated on doing more acoustic/magnetic pickup/tone-wheel music and projects. Music wise , I am bass player and saxophonist by trade and learned piano as a kid and I can always play that and guitar.

Lately (the last 2-3 years) I am digging synths and digital music again. Finally paid for a full Ableton and NI licenses as well as get Logic and purchased a few VSTs. Resurrected my old DX7 and bought a few analog gear, clones by the B company and a very modest modular gear in a small case. Partly influenced by my son's interest. I am definitely digging and spending deeper than him. . I am sharing my gear with him. I have always been a fan of the public radio program "Hearts of Space" and that is my motivation to play synths again. That and Brian Eno/Kitaro. What really got me started again was when I saw the video on Reverb on setting up a sax to trigger my synth (and I still have not completed the setup )

I have learned a lot from the forum, but also have been entertained a lot, that's just how forums are. Other than saying "Back in the Day" -- I do not think I have much to add , but much to learn.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2020
Greetings logdrum,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Have fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search