The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for suggestions about tie pin or headset microphones and record method
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for suggestions about tie pin or headset microphones and record method

Hello all,

I am looking on behalf of a Buddhist organisation that invites an Australian monk as a speaker for durable tie pin or headset microphones that can be used by this speaker and his translator. As the organisation likes to use them for future retreats as well, we consider investing in microphones that have a very good price-quality ratio. I know how to make sound records as I studied film directing a long time ago but my experience with this smaller microphones and how to record sound with the is very limited or even non existing. It would be lovely if you could share your experiences with me concerning a brand, a specific model. Any specific recommendations is very well appreciated. Would you suggest tie pins of headsets when used in a normal, rectangular room? I guess tie pins are the better option if we consider price-quality ratio but I might be wrong. We do not want to spend too much on it but prefer to have durable ones that last for a long time and can be used for future recordings as well. I already have my own Zoom H4N which can be used to plug the microphones in but I am quiet unsure if this will actually work. Thank you all very much in advance! Enjoy your day and hear from you soon, Teresa
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Do you want wired mics or wireless mics?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dear Bushman, thanks for your question! The most important thing is that they are good and payable. I guess it is not so important if they are wireless, if the cable is hidden in someone's clothes, then that's all right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Wired mics are MUCH cheaper. But they aren’t suited for every situation. Are your people with mics mobile during the performance? There is almost nothing more awkward than inexperienced people yanking a cord out or being jerked to a stop at the end of a cable during a performance. Are the mics just going to be recorded, or are they also going to be fed to a speaker system for a live audience?
Sorry to play “20 questions” with you, but it is a unfortunate mistake if recommendations are based on an incorrect guess about exactly what you are trying to do.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

That is a very good question, thanks for asking! As it is a buddhist monk speaking (and a translator sitting quietly and just next to him), he is not supposed to move around and jump from one side to another :-) Actually, he will be sitting on a chair and will keep on sitting on this chair. Normally, they do not move around at all as the idea is to keep it calm and meditative So, my guess is that wired microphones are good enough. If the quality of the sound is that as well, then I'll go for them. It is recorded in a normal space, not a church or anything alike with reverb. If you would have any recommendations, Bushman, please feel free to add them here. I'll be glad to find out about which one to buy. Many greatings and thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I am surprised to find that currently very few lavalier mics are NOT wireless, and good wired Lavs are NOT cheap. I suspect that the lav technology is now entirely driven by stage production and presentation needs, so the most current technology and competing pricing is towards wireless lavs.
Given those facts, I would recommend wireless lavs from a good source. If you are certain that you will only need two lav mics in the near future, I would go with a dual wireless mic system from Shure or Audio-Technica. The dual system will simplify the number of receiver units, power supplies and power cables you will have to deal with. Also, if you have to replace mics due to failure, many manufacturers make mics that use those two (different) mic-to-pack connectors.
Before I recommend a system or source, one more question. You mentioned where your monks are from, but not where you are. If you are in the US, no problem. If you aren’t, the wireless frequency restrictions may be different and the suppliers I know may or may not ship to your country.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for your considerations. I am aware of the fact that wireless and wired those days are sold approximately at the same price. I am from Belgium and the monks are coming over to Belgium. DPA 4088 is too expensive - hence, I would recommend it to the organisation inviting those monks - so there must be a good alternative for them at a better price. What would you recommend?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I will give US designations and approximate prices in US dollars(from B&H Audio today). All are dual lavalier systems. I have experience with the A-T and Shure systems. I do not have direct experience with the Sennheiser system, but I have never been disappointed in a Sennheiser product.
ATW-1311L $999.00
Shure BLX 188/CVL $499.00
Sennheiser XSW1 $499.00
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you very much. First is too expensive, but Shure and Sennheiser model might do. Thank you for your nice recommendations.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search