The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hello everybody!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hello everybody!

I'm a relatively new Finnish techno producer/DJ with much interest in analog and modular synthesis. My "thing" is psychedelic techno or whatever you want to call it but techno with mind boggling and trippy sounds.

I think my story is rather usual. Growing up I wasn't so much into electronic music and I listened mostly prog rock (Rush is still the greatest) but there were a few psytrance songs I liked very much. Yes, I liked the way Geddy's synthesizers looked and sounded like but I never thought actually owning one and chose the guitar as my instrument instead. Eventually, my girlfriend got me to go a few good techno/psytrance ug-parties and I was sold. The atmosphere, the people, the decorations, everything was too great. So in the beginning it was not about the music, it was about the great party atmosphere.

After maybe 2-3 years of random party going I got to know people and found better and better underground parties. I was kinda learning that I like certain kind of music but I wasn't sure of genres or anything but then came the party that changed everything. They had an alternative stage in two story barn where the DJ and the dance floor were located downstairs and a chill room with sofas and mattresses upstairs. I happened to be bit sad after not finding my friends and decided to go chill upstairs. Right a way the music blew my mind. It was combination of hard kicking techno bass and all kind of trippy sounds (check Trevor McGregor, alias of Kalumet). I just lied there mesmerized. I think it was like 3-5 hours straight from after midnight to morning. This was almost exactly 2 years ago.

That got me to actually listening electronic music at home too. I started by listening a lot of Trevor McGregor, then checked all the albums he was in and listened the other artist too. I was surprised to find a lot of psychedelic techno kind of good music and that became my thing. First, I did this only to find good music to listen to but after a year of searching and discovering my friend threw a large birthday party with actual good sound system and some good DJ's. There was slots for DJ's open and I was like why not. I played my first set there and it was amazing. Yes, I had practiced home but the feeling of the bass starting to kick as you handle the knobs and seeing how the crowd reacted and all was just something else. I was hooked. This was almost a year ago and since then I have listened tons of music. Just to give some numbers: my last.fm scrobbles went from 1-2k to 10k a year and my spotify liked list grew from 200 to 800.

I didn't want to be a DJ at first but I've always wanted to make music. Thus, I got the guitar to begin with. After hearing Trevor McGregor play, I also bought Cubase and started to play around with it. I didn't do much, mostly had fun discovering stuff and sometimes made a part that sounded like something. But as I discovered DJing, I learned more and more how techno works and it became much easier for me to also produce it. This led me to focus on producing songs instead of just playing around with sounds. I found out quickly that there's "too much" you can do on a PC so I wanted something physical to do techno with. Now for the past 6 months or so I've been acquiring more and more physical gear as well as bought VSTs.

Currently I own only Roland TR-8s, Korg Volca Sample and a PO-35 speak. My dream is to one day play live techno only using an eurorack but now my plan is to get very comfy with TR-8s and start adding it to my DJ sets. Next step would be getting some synths and play only live. I'm planning to go with a setup consisting of 2 Moog Mother 32s, a Moog Dfam, and maybe some Volca's like the Sample and the Nubass.

Right now I'm wrapping up my second song and desperately trying to find gigs to play. I'm maybe playing too niche music or I'm just bad at socializing but I never imagined it's this hard to sell yourself to play for free.

That's my story. Go ahead and listen to my DJ-sets and my one finished song in Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/keministi

Also, please recommend some music if you think it fits my taste. You can find a lot of artists whom I like in my Soundcloud follows.
Old 4 weeks ago
Greetings Keministi,

Nice introduction.

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search