The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hi, new to the forum and new to making music. This place always seems to have answers
Old 2nd September 2019
Hi, new to the forum and new to making music. This place always seems to have answers

Hi, my name is Alex and I made a profile here after always seeming to end up on this forum when googling how to use music gear. I got into making music this summer and feel like I have found something I love. I used to DJ when I lived in Japan, but never touched a keyed instrument or made an original track until this summer when I decided to pick up a couple synthesizers and got addicted lol.

If you wanna check out my progress, I have been posting everything on this channel mainly as a way to document my progress.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...lM9x6ADag_oyZA
Old 2nd September 2019
Greetings strongocho,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear
Ear training and a decent set of speakers are important.
Learn the circle of 5th
Learn to read sheetmusic
Old 2nd September 2019
Definitely. I am currently upgrading to a proper set of monitors and have been trying my hardest to learn music theory. I mostly use a mono synth, so I have not really memorized any chords, but have several scales committed to memory. I kind of struggle with chords and the circle of fifths has not really stuck yet, but I am trying. I think I am focusing too much on deliberately putting my fingers on the right keys instead of getting muscle memory and just placing my hand on the root note. I do not know anyone that can play piano so I am 100% self taught from youtube. I have been looking for piano lessons around, but seems like they are mostly geared towards children. Maybe I should just humble myself and give it a try anyway. I ordered a midi keyboard to try to learn because learning piano on a 25 small key mono synth is probably not the best route. There are a lot of crutches these days with DAWs like copy/pasting chords in as midi that I am trying to avoid, but they do help at least get some songs written while I am learning.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Welcome! It sounds like you already have some great ideas about how to progress, and teaching yourself is crucially important no matter what stage of the journey you're in.

You should absolutely find a piano teacher in your area. I teach piano at a wonderful little music school in northwest Austin and about half of my students are adults. Music studios often advertise to parents of young children because that's a plentiful and common source of steady paying students, but I love working with adults, and so do pretty much all the other piano teachers like me out there. You'll have a great time, meet some new people, and learn a bunch of new skills faster than you think. Be sure to find a teacher who's geared toward contemporary music and not just classical, but all the good piano method books start basically the same no matter what trajectory you end up taking. (I like the Faber and John Thompson methods, but there are plenty of others out there too.)

Good luck and have fun!
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Welcome @ strongocho and what genre(s) do you make?

What up @ Progger as I didn't know you were on GS! I know you by your Reddit and SOTW handle!
Old 3rd September 2019
I make techno/trance and hip hop beats. I am kind of all over the place because I like a lot of different genres. Here are a couple examples

Old 3rd September 2019
Engagement Manager

Glad you decided to join in here Alex

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search