The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hello from Michigan!
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear
Hello from Michigan!

Hello everyone!

My name is Zak, I live in the great state of Michigan in the United States. Sorry if this introduction is long! Also sorry if some of it reads like a resume. I want to give everyone a good understanding of where I'm coming from and my starting point, especially so I can reference this post in other early on posts if more background or an idea of my capabilities might help provide context!

Background:

I've been playing and writing music for 15+ years now (albeit most of those years yielded nothing to speak of ). I've played drums the longest, but I also taught myself guitar, bass guitar, a small bit of piano, and I have consistently practiced vocals for a long time on my own now, to the point where I finally feel confident in my singing abilities, at least as a good starting point. I've played drums and bass guitar in multiple bands and played some shows with them, but I was young and inexperienced and still didn't know much about what I was doing, just having fun (nothing wrong with that!).

A few of the bands I was in released a handful of songs (two of the bands were metal/hardcore, another band was indie/folk). I've also recorded little bits of things I've written and started little recording projects on my own, but I've hardly ever finished a full song recording and nothing has been serious. I've always been really interested in production and have wanted to dive into it, and I think it's finally the right time to give it my best effort.

I have a background in filmmaking (BA degree in Cinema Studies and Film Production and Owner of a small film production LLC for 4+ years) which I feel has really helped me understand things a bit easier. I have worn a lot of hats in filmmaking, sparingly including recording/editing/mixing sound (at a basic level). My whole filmmaking background provides me a fair bit of prior knowledge regarding some concepts, industry terms, and overall understanding of hardware, software, and some of the technical aspects that crossover between industries.

With that being said, I'm very new and green to a lot of the technical side of music production (rather than playing and writing), but for the past couple months I've been reading tons of useful threads on here including all the stickies and related resources in each subforum that applies to what I want to do. All of it is great information, but of course somewhat overwhelming starting out, especially when I'm trying to get into a few different areas at the same time.

However, I totally understand the time it takes to learn and perfect a craft, (as I continue to do with music writing and film production) and my plan is to continue researching and experimenting with the basics and continue to add to my knowledge as I go. I'm hoping to nail basic recording and production techniques and understand the motivation behind new techniques before jumping into things I don't understand. Eventually I'll know what you guys are all talking about (well, at least some of it)!

My goals:

While I have long been playing and writing music as a laid back hobby (aside from when I was in bands), I'm ready to expand on that hobby and make it more of a lifestyle. For a while now I have become increasingly inspired by music, and in the last 3-5 years I have noticed a continually building interest in expanding my knowledge and talents in that direction.

A few friends and I have started a band again (the last time I was in a band with these friends was when I was 12 years old ) and while I know things will move slowly since we all have (more than) full-time jobs, I'm super excited to keep momentum moving forward. I don't know how the band situation will play out, it is definitely very possible that I end up doing a lot of the writing and recording and they may end up playing a backseat role, helping with writing where I get stuck and also possibly often acting as session players.

I've been writing new material, focusing on developing my own sound and feel while pulling from mostly (alt/indie) rock, and some classic rock, blues, and metal influences. My next goal is to start recording some ideas to begin my journey of learning to record and produce my own music. I also plan to start recording during my writing process to use it as a tool to help write and compose, especially since I may mostly be writing alone.

I plan to modify an area in my basement into a suitable home studio for my needs, and slowly expand on it as needed/desired to build myself a nice 'toolbox' to reach into to experiment with new techniques in writing/recording/producing. I primarily intend this to be a studio for my personal use and for my close musician friends. However, it is possible that I would eventually consider turning it into a side career. We'll see how I like it!

As far as a somewhat short-term goal, I'm aiming to at least get myself to the point where I can complete some solid demos that are 'nearly there' that I could use to work with an experienced producer if I decided to have them professionally recorded. Of course, my long-term goal would be to grow my abilities to the point where I am proficient enough to produce finished tracks on my own if I choose to.

In order to accomplish this, I researched and purchased the gear I feel is necessary to get me started, but I want to focus less on the gear itself for now and more on my space and just practicing recording until I really understand at least the fundamentals of what I'm doing.

Summary:

Music Genres I play or have played: Indie Rock, Alternative Rock, Pop Punk, Metal(Hardcore), Acoustic, Folk, Hip-Hop/Rap

Instruments I play: Drums (15+ years), Guitar (12+ years), Bass Guitar (10+ years), Vocals (8+ years)

DAW: Logic Pro X (just starting to use it, only Garageband experience prior)

I love discussing topics I know about and sharing my advice and experiences (as limited as they may be), and I also love to learn new things. I try to always stay open-minded and understanding that there is usually not a single right way to do things, and it is more about sharing and learning many different opinions and experiences to help inform your own decisions! I'm excited to join the GS community!

Thanks for listening! I am grateful for the advice I've already read on GS and I'm excited to keep learning!

-Zak
Old 27th June 2019
Greetings zakarot,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Have fun interacting in the forums.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search