The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hello all!
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Hello all!

Hello all,
Long time Lurker. First time Joining the community. My name is Paul Campbell, 22 years old from Jamaica. I've decided to join the community to contribute as well as receive feedback for my work (productions and mixes) and other interesting things I know I will find.

-I hate saying the term 'producer' or 'beat maker' but alas I will; I started Pharmacy School 4 years ago and I am finishing up, along the way I really got into music like never before possible. I always played piano and was a fan of listening to music (Jazz mostly in high school; the usual Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Brubeck, Cole) and playing the piano etc. In High-school I got a midi converter thing and never really seriously had the intention of learning how to make 'beats' or anything but the 2nd year in college I don't know when it happened but I just started making stuff , making more stuff and even more stuff.

-Looking back I can say I got better over the years but I wasn't really trying to get better, I just had a lot of fun making 'beats' and ideas then I got into it even more (sometimes to detriment of school). So that led to me really discovering the peak of the beat world etc J Dilla, The Roots, Flying Lotus, Knxwledge etc (and then getting obsessed by accident with WHY? the music was good, why it sounded that way? WHY isn't the music always straight time , WHY is being off or wonky desirable.

- I think this is what peaked my interest into engineering and the OTHER side of music; the various engineers role. Now, I have been at it for maybe around 2 years or so (give and take) but I've stumbled on so many things that just seemed interesting to me eg Pensado's Place and the content over there; becoming a real fan boy of the engineers and what they do; Signal chain path ways, gear imparting sonic textures and harmonics that are good, ITB processing getting closer to hardware, not being in the box etc. Understanding that everyone hears stuff differently and that's a good thing.
Even typing this now its fun just to see how much I really got into it from not knowing what the heck a mix engineer does or what is mastering, why analog feels warmer etc.
-People that I look up to are:
Derek 'Mixedbyali' Ali - Not sure how but everything seems so tangible with the mixes he does like you experience the music so easily; I can see the progress from Good Kid on Upwards; plus the super hard work ethic stuff.
-Manny Marroquin- For the bangers and how everything seems to work so perfectly like its just in the right space.
- King Tubby and The Scientist - Pioneers of Dub Music (I got into reggae quite late even though I am from Jamaica; but just the sonics of having Bass as deep as sub-territory then highs so crispy converted me to understanding music more technically )
- Mr. Pensado and team - Mixes and the access to information for up and coming people

AND SO MANY MORE (but I must limit, I can go on forever)
-As it is now I listen wide and to many different things (Production on Clean Bandit's - Solo, is god like and inspiring; The classic dub and reggae records of the 80s are inspiring; modern reggae and fusions eg Kofee - Toast is inspiring) really want to get more into rock music as well. I am home for 3 months; bought JBL 305p monitors last December and an AKG m220 headphone 2 years ago and hope to start my journey into audio officially this summer 2019.

This post is really lengthy but it just reaffirms what I stumbled into and ended up liking. I hope and will try my hardest this summer to get my music to local and international artiste, companies etc. AND become a better producer and engineer (need feedback and guidance).

Thank you for this community AND may GOD BLESS all the engineers...

Attached is some of the ideas and music I do to give a sense of where I am at right now; My beats and stuff feed what I get to mix and try; right now I'm working on getting exposed to more people's work and productions to mix etc
Attached Files

REG MASTER_222.wav (3.40 MB, 42 views)

sparklee_2.mp3 (3.31 MB, 42 views)

stats _MASTER.mp3 (3.27 MB, 51 views)

Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Welcome @ Paul_FUEGO and what genre(s) do you produce and/or mix?
Old 6th June 2019
Greetings Paul_FUEGO,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Hello Friend! I'm new here too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search