The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A new adventure of learning Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A new adventure of learning

Hi my name is James,

I'm in my late 30's and live in the island state of Tasmania, south of mainland Australia. I'm recently getting back into music - I was classical trained as a pianist. I would like to join a band, but really just getting my feet wet.

I have a primary interest in writing music. This year I have purchased the following: Nord Stage 3 compact (which I gig with about once a fortnight) and invested in the NI ecosystem - I have Ultimate 11, a Maschine mk3 and a S61mk2. I also bought a MOTU 828ES as a audio interface. I'm struggling to learn Maschine 2.0 and Logic Pro.

Basically what I have learnt this year is that I know very little. I'd love to learn about synthesis and sound design, I know almost nothing of mixing and mastering and pretty much all I do at the moment is make 4 bar beats. I'd love to learn logic, the principles of sound design, mixing and mastering and ultimately develop a Soundcloud Chanel. It's purely a hobby - I have no intention of making it any more than that.

I'd love to buy an 88 weighted-key stage piano/controller and an analogue synth. Additionally, my current Wishlist includes a Moog Subsequent 37, a DSI Rev 2 amongst others - but believe it would just be a waste of $$ at the moment - I recognise I need to learn how to use what I have with some degree of proficiency. I'd also love to explore sampling and sequencing. There are so many rabbit holes it all feels a bit intimidating.

On a side note - I'd love to learn about recording techniques and would like to acquire a selection of mics for recording vocals, acoustic instruments, especially piano and orchestra's (I'm connected to a local orchestra and have the opportunity to record).

My source of inspiration is along the lines of what Mark De Clive Lowe has been doing. I have a reasonable amount of discretionary spending but again I recognise that my biggest limitation is lack of knowledge. Being a hobby it also needs to be fun. I'm looking forward to learning here on Gearslutz.

Peace,

James

Last edited by just_like_jazz; 1 week ago at 03:09 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 1 week ago
Greetings just_like_jazz,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi Synth Guru, thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning. A bit nervous as I'm inexperienced and I've seen how forum members go at each other on occasions but if that's the price of learning, so be it. James
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Welcome @just_like_jazz but don't become a Gearslut as it's costly, use what you have instead and focus one skill at a time.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
Welcome @just_like_jazz but don't become a Gearslut as it's costly, use what you have instead and focus one skill at a time.
Thanks Boombap, yeah that's exactly what I need to do. Though because it's hard and sometimes you don't know where to start, it is easier to distract yourself by buying something new and shiny. Fortunately I'm in that place at the moment where I want to learn and I'm prepared to work.

James

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search