The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kid in a candy store Plugin Bundles
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Kid in a candy store

Hey Everyone,

Can't believe Ive finally joined; after coming here to borrow peoples advice and check facts since as long as I can remember.
Hopefully I can now ask the right questions or give a helpful reply to repay all the help Ive gotten here in kind?
I grew up in NZ being babysat by 'Recording Techs' at the beautiful old EMI designed (Ive heard..) NZBC (public Broadcast) studios because my Mum was a newsreader, trained in the 60's to speak the official BBC Queens English up until she retired in the early 90's
The Studios were in a big grey postwar building right behind NZ's parliament and had big live rooms with huge boom stands from which hung mysterious huge microphones, baffles and screens ready to be wheeled out and in the live soap opera and drama studio the sound effects booth kept me entertained for years
Sadly those amazing Studios were demolished in the greedy going digital 90's era. And all the 'old fashioned' equipment sold off for peanuts to people who really wanted modern compressers than the big hot old box's with VU metres.
I was able to save one baffle....
But, Im a 50s-60's recording gear and technique obsessed 'Sound Tech' who lives in a bigger country now and hopes to one day open a vintage studio with the stuff Im collecting. Just gotta become growen up enough to own a space and I will have some kind of frankenstien studio with one foot in 60's Los Angeles studios and same era BBC studios.
My favorite bit of gear is probably the cheapest! An STC Ball'n'Biscuit that sounds ok but gives the best vibe.
Im just updating my DAW stuff for work so will probably be asking questions questions to the Digital enthusiests that will have then thinking I'm either 70 years old or simple, and the rest of the time tracking down kit for my frankenstein studio.
I love Toe Rag Studios
The new (but old) fit out at what was; Ocean Way in LA is a you tube regular watch for me.
And one Day I want to visit the Stax museum Studio recreation.
Allright, nice to meet you all
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Absolutely an outstanding first post!
Old 1 week ago
Engagement Manager

Old 3 days ago
Greetings martysquire,

Nice intro. Welcome to Gearslutz!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search