The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheers from Germany Audio Interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cheers from Germany

Hey fellow slutz,

how's it hanging?

Was lurking around here for quiet a while now, so I decided to finally sign up. I kind of really like that community. There is so much to learn!

Bout me
  • Classical guitar lessons from 6 on.
  • With 10 I thought punk was much cooler, so I got my first Squier Strat. Still have and <3 that one (not that it would still have the same parts, nothing spectacular but it does the job).
  • With 15/16 I thought I'd become a rock star, practised my ass of. I guess that's also the time where my musical taste developed and I grew away from any particular music style.
  • With 18 bought a MacBook pro, Firestudio Project, SM57 and later a cheap CAD ribbon (trion 7000?), cause I realised my guitar would sound better, when I let the ribbon do the low end. (Think I often cut the SM57 and the ribbon both at 150Hz, using the low stuff from the ribbon and the rest from the SM57. Last things I did there was nothing guitar focused, where I needed a decent recording, so I just usbed the guitar via one of those Yamaha amp, TH??? looks like a retro toaster.)
  • After school I decided (although accepted at a decent music uni) to *tada* not go study music. The image in my mind of not winning the lottery and living from my own music, but instead having to work on nonsense, empty, meaningless, emotionless garbage for retired tasteless f***wits so they give me some of their pension and I have something to eat was too terrifying. (Not that one couldn't always end up in some ****ty job, but I felt music was too important to me for prostituting myself in this profession.)
  • So I did the obvious, studying pure mathematics. Playing all I could on the side. When my Mac was just a pile of junk after some years, I had nothing to record, cause I just had a crap laptop with some linux distro on it. (And although I consider myself as computer affine, back then I gave up on trying to couple that presonus card with ardour. Maybe today it works better. I haven't tried again.)
  • That situation didn't change for a while. After the bachelor, I travelled round Oceania with a Uke in my bagpack.
  • Couple of weeks ago I decided that I have to get into mixing and producing again, as one of my projects just got some very nice recorded material from a gig, but no one in the band had the skills or gear to mix it. So I got an ssd, windows and studio one pro, and had some serious goosebumps, after starting to mix again. It was the same band where I started to do vocals seriously (more rapping, as I like to sing but it sounds like ****).
  • Currently (and after being a lot side tracked here and there) I am finishing my master (still math) and look forward to upgrade my setup as soon as I have a job and some $$.

My first contribution here will be a review of micparts S3-87. Bought one when they still had the London warehouse. The kit was lying around here for a couple of month until I finally soldered it together back in January. It works, but I didn't have the chance to really test it. (Thank you neighbours. I should build myself a vocal booth. There is probably a thread somewhere here about that, right?!) I wanted to meet up with a friend and compare it to his Neumann, but unfortunately he got the flue. So you will get the test results as soon, as he is back on track and we met up for a session.

Further Music stuff about me:
What did I listen lately. Huh genre wise I have nearly no limitations. Here is just some that I can remember adhoc, stuff that I listened to and which remained in my head in the last weeks:

• Discovered A Tribe Called R.E.D. super cool to have this kind of (how to say this correctly?) first nation vocs in there.
  • Tried to understand Trap (not what or how, but the appeal). Wasn't too successful.
  • Found out Little Simz is out there, she is cool as f***!
  • Today listened a lot of 90 Boom Bap, old Jedi Mind Tricks and Immortal Technique.
  • Went through all the stuff I could find on the Hip Hop board here.

Was on a Feine Sahne Fischfilet concert. Big fun! In the train going there my friends and I pulled out a lot old German Punk, but also stuff like The Exploited.

After seeing Bachs Weihnachtsovatorium in December, I listened to him again now and then, especially to J.S. Bach: Eine Feste Burg - Kammerchor Stuttgart.
Also one that stuck in my mind the last weeks after listening to was Monteverdi.

Jup, I dug out the old Jungle Hits. Hahaha. That 90s stuff just has a nice vibe.

• A lot of Alpha Blondy
  • Some Mo Kalamity
  • Some Trinity Roots
  • Some Fat Freddy's Drop
  • Some Xavier Rudd

Old but Gold:
Some Bob Dylan, Cash and Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen.

I am surprised not much here lately, just some Galactic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last moments in making music that stuck in my brain:
In a band context: Your skank guitar will sound tighter if you dial back your reverb to really a homeopathic dose. Improved my sound!
Have you ever tried to throw the Valhalla Shimmer on a Wurlitzer? Don't know why, but it still makes me smile. hihi

Nonmusic stuff I like:

Math is cool, seriously! And I am not talking about that crap they call math in school that's calculating and compares to math like spelling to literature.

I love hiking and being outdoors in remote places. Last one was in October the Gr20 in France, Corse. Big fun!

Koalas, they sleep 18 to 20 hours a day. I can feel them!

Food. It is just awesome. Last thing I cooked was garlic potato mash (tons of garlic!) with green beans, bacon and steak with baked pears and whiskey roquefort sauce.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Welcome @.drIX. and don't be afraid to ask me about Hip Hop
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
that's quite the intro.. Welcome! look forward to your reviews.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
Welcome @.drIX. and don't be afraid to ask me about Hip Hop
Originally Posted by bainmack View Post
that's quite the intro.. Welcome! look forward to your reviews.
Thank you both for your warm welcome!

@boombapdame thanks and here we go, how do you get your 808s punchy? Another kick sample on top, compression, both, some fancy parallel thing (there is an itl on youtube where they recommend to parallel it through a guitar amp. Lol)? I often have the feeling that I end up with too boomy and not punchy enoughe 808s.

Much appreciated,
Old 2 weeks ago
Engagement Manager
Wow great introduction post!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey @Sniperschool

Thank you very much! Pleasure to be here!
Old 1 week ago
Greetings .drIX.,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Greetings .drIX.,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search