The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hello from Courtnee after like 20 years or something Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Hello from Courtnee after like 20 years or something

Hey there everyone! Long time listener first time caller. I've been around the online/electronic music scene since the late 90's but was finally called to make an account here after hoping for some really specific help reverse engineering a Roland sound.

(Have the SR-JV80-16 Orchestral II card installed?)

I'm going through the forum features and filling out my studio gear and stuff and poking around the nuts and bolts, it's kind of fun to be reminded of the good old days of the now-ancient web, and I figured there might be some people around here who may remember what things were like back then, so I thought I'd say hi and talk a little about what I've done that someone might actually remember.

From around '99 until the site was squashed in 2003, I held position in the top 3 on the mp3.com ambient-electronic charts as the band "Not Applicable". Anyone else remember the likes of Bassic, Falling You, and t r a n c e [] c o n t r o l ? Apparently I do!

I released two DAM Cd's through mp3.com; "Point of Origin" in 1999, which was the first original music I'd made after buying a Roland Juno 106 off ebay (that album was created with a soundblaster sound card, a gooseneck computer microphone, and pasting sounds I'd recorded through windows sound recorder into a single track using Goldwave ), and "Altercations" in 2000, which were mostly the kickass remixes that other mp3.com artists had made of my stuff, along with a couple new songs made using a Roland XP-30. If you remember that stuff, you can actually get it again now with my 2012 album Autochthon on courtnee.bandcamp.com

If you are (or were) an Oakenfold fan, and remember his album Transport, I worked with one of the artists on that CD because of their finding my work on mp3.com! Like out of a story book, The Dream Traveler contacted me through the site after hearing my vocals and we ended up creating “Structure and “Headpusher”, released through Fade Records in 2003. “Headpusher would go on to be featured on Nick Warren’s Global Underground Release “Reykjavik”.

I also lended vocals to Scribe Machine’s excellent electronic album “Replicant”, in the track Fragile, which was later released as a Maxi-single through Plan B and Tower Records, also in 2003.

I've still been making music, though nothing like the community and support I felt on mp3.com has come since. I perform live a lot more now and even do open mic's sometimes, whereas when I made my popular music I was an absolute home-studio shut-in.

I'm still a Roland geek and a mostly-solo artist, I still record and mix most of my own releases, and I still keep on keeping on, putting out a 9th album tomorrow even though my work has faded mostly into obscurity. But if you ever find yourself in the Udistrict of Seattle, you might hear my work lofting out of the door of the Gargoyles Statuary, and if you wanted to, you could even pop in there to pick up a trinket and my CD.

Pleasure to meet y'all!
-nee

Last edited by courtnee; 6 days ago at 03:23 AM.. Reason: added hyperlinks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtnee View Post
Anyone else remember the likes of Bassic, Falling You, and t r a n c e [] c o n t r o l ?
Hardcore nostalgia... those names bring back memories from when I was just beginning to write my own music (and yearning to do it well).

I was a fiend on that site - listened to everything I could get my hands on. Chances are probably very high I listened to your stuff at the time but had no idea!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane... and welcome back
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesOnFlames View Post
Hardcore nostalgia... Chances are probably very high I listened to your stuff at the time but had no idea!
I'll bet you did hear it! I was one of *clears throat theatrically* "One of mp3.com's fastest-rising allstars" According to their zine "Digital Drive Thru".

Thru.

I was also on more than a few of their compilation CD's. I think I'm still traumatized by what happened to mp3.com. Such a bummer. But if you're curious, you can stream those old songs here

Thanks for sharing in the walk with me!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Welcome @courtnee and props for sharing your history and successes.
Old 5 days ago
Greetings courtnee,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

You'll find lots of Roland fans here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search