The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old newbie here... DAW Software
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear
Old newbie here...

Long-time visitor, new joiner...
53 YO who found his lifetime hobby far into middle-age. I've been "into" music my whole life, drum lessons on grade school, switching to bass in HS & college. Got married and sold my gear so I could say I grew up. Few years ago, got the bug to play after playing the "Rock Band" video game. Going to Friday night karaoke shows just weren't cutting it anymore...After getting a bass for Xmas a few years ago, the sickness started...Now at 12 guitars & counting, I've made the leap into learning the digital recording/producing process. It's been almost as rewarding as playing (and nearly as costly). I read nearly everything I can get my hands on to improve my setup, workflow, engineering abilities. After a couple years of working on it I think my producing has eclipsed my crappy guitar skills but it really doesnt matter...I make music for me. Most of the people that influenced my music tastes are the singer/songwriter types like John Hiatt & Elvis Costello, guitar players like Mark Knopfler and alt-country bands like Blue Rodeo...Sorry about the life-story but discovering that making music filled a void in my life is A badge I'll wear proudly.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict
Glad you're here and that you re-found your love for music!
Old 21st December 2016
Welcome to the wonderful world of music
Enjoy the journey
Old 21st December 2016
Greetings Tony253,

Welcome to Gearslutz!

Glad you decided to get back into music with your new bass and guitars!

Cheers!
Old 22nd December 2016
Engagement Manager

@Tony253
No need to apologise for the back story as it's alway great to hear about people getting more into music
An old newbie...
Hmm... You're an Olbie!
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Welcome Tony :D

I didn't pick up a guitar till I was 35, never had too much interest in instruments till then a few years back, I'll never look back now.

As for music software, I used to make trance music with the very first Fruity Loops when I was in my teens, I've just got Pro Tools and a bunch of plugins and starting to learn that now. I must say, like you, my guitar skills don't have a touch on my computing skills, so I'm learning that pretty quickly. Will get some more recording done soon, even with lackluster guitar skills, it gives me something to look back on in a few years to guage how I have progressed

tris
Old 23rd December 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisC View Post
Welcome Tony :D

I didn't pick up a guitar till I was 35, never had too much interest in instruments till then a few years back, I'll never look back now.

As for music software, I used to make trance music with the very first Fruity Loops when I was in my teens, I've just got Pro Tools and a bunch of plugins and starting to learn that now. I must say, like you, my guitar skills don't have a touch on my computing skills, so I'm learning that pretty quickly. Will get some more recording done soon, even with lackluster guitar skills, it gives me something to look back on in a few years to guage how I have progressed

tris
I started with Ableton 8, upgraded to 9 Suite which is probably not ideal for guitar-based stuff but I've gotten comfortable enough using it. The most helpful plug so far (for me) is iZotope Neutron which provides such improved starting points to mix with it's not funny...
Old 23rd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony253 View Post
I started with Ableton 8, upgraded to 9 Suite which is probably not ideal for guitar-based stuff but I've gotten comfortable enough using it. The most helpful plug so far (for me) is iZotope Neutron which provides such improved starting points to mix with it's not funny...
I've tried most DAW's, Alberton being one that I found, strange, for some reason. I think Neutron was a free plugin offer that I got, I couldn't get it installed properly for some reason, will have to try and get it to install properly so I can have a look.

tris
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search