The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hey Everyone, my names Tristan.... and I'm an addict ;) .... Studio Headphones
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hey Everyone, my names Tristan.... and I'm an addict ;) ....

Hey everyone, my names Tristan.... and I'm an addict

I have loved music all my life, really got into it when I was a teen but started singing at 11. My voice changed so I'm trying to find it again, but I found a few guys on youtube, familyjules7X, daniel tidwell, rob scallon, the lonely soundboard, etc.... which really made me want to pick up an instrument.

I'd never tried the guitar in my life (2014 at 35) so after being influenced by you tube artists, I decided to look into learning guitar.

Rocksmith 2014 was first on my list, it really got me into learning how to play some notes and eased me into songs. It took about 18 months to do the 60 day challange, 140hours of gameplay time. I certainly treat it a another 'tool in the tool box' rather than a game. I picked up a few bits and pieces from it, and it enables me to 'change it up' a bit rather than just watching you tube videos, trying to get on with tab, song books etc.... and it's great fun.

I discovered justin guitar, which I got on with for a while, though I found him a little confusing a lot of the time which is why I started looking again and found Andy Guitar. I find his lessons more clear and easy to understand and can actually play some of the songs off by heart. I have found his site and videos really good, and if it were not for him and one two hour lesson with a local chap who taught me 'how' to learn chords I certainly wouldn't be where I am today.

I still look at myself as a beginner, even after two and half years, but I'll never look back, I'll be learning for the rest of my life, I find it very theraputic.

I have also written poetry for many years, and in the past month or so I have discovered a fantastic singer/songwriter called Emma Mcgann (all socials are the same, as is the website). Emma is a great person and really nice. She has recently written an ebook that is available on Amazon Kindle etc.... that is written to help younger (and older in my case) songwriters. It is a fantastic book for a beginner and has some great advice and guidance. Emma has been an inspiration and reignited my spark for poetry and song writing. So I have been attempting to do some reworks of some old poems into songs, and even written some new idea's for some fresh songs.

I've read this forum for the past two years and thought it might be time to finally sign up. I'm looking forward to more reading and adding this forum to my 'journey into music'

tris
Old 19th December 2016
Greetings trisC,

Welcome To Gearslutz!

Glad you decided to learn the guitar and join us!

Have fun!
Old 21st December 2016
Engagement Manager

@trisC
Excellent introduction Tristan!
Thank you for that and look forward to seeing you around
Sean
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you

tris
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict
Welcome! I wish I could play guitar but I have short fat fingers :(
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inestima View Post
Welcome! I wish I could play guitar but I have short fat fingers :(
I'm not that great, still learning

Have you tried for a few months to play? A fair few people I know have all different kinds of sizes of fingers and manage to get on ok.

I was a bit dubious myself as my fingers aren't very long and pretty chubby, I then came across some videos by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole. He was a Hawaian musician and played the Ukulele and the guitar!! After seeing that I though, 'if he can do it, I can do it', I did and now I'll never look back

tris
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisC View Post
I'm not that great, still learning

Have you tried for a few months to play? A fair few people I know have all different kinds of sizes of fingers and manage to get on ok.

I was a bit dubious myself as my fingers aren't very long and pretty chubby, I then came across some videos by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole. He was a Hawaian musician and played the Ukulele and the guitar!! After seeing that I though, 'if he can do it, I can do it', I did and now I'll never look back

tris
I mean I do play- strumming and arpeggios but that's about it
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inestima View Post
I mean I do play- strumming and arpeggios but that's about it
That's pretty much as much as I do, can't do any soloing/improv at a decent speed

I have a go at singing too, done that since I was 11, but my voice has change a heck of a lot over the years, so keep having to try and find my voice

Glad I finally managed to join up a forum more music focused such as this one, only been learning the guitar for two and half years, but seem to have aquired a fair amount of gear

tris
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search