The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A thank you to Andy Cytomic and 112db...
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

A thank you to Andy Cytomic and 112db...

Your copy protection is very unobtrusive and didn't inconvenience me in any way when I purchased them...

I thank you and hope other companies will follow....
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

and you know what he best thing is? after all the hype out there about "the glue" and EVEN with minimal CP its not been cracked. you can search your life away on google and nothing comes up
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Adding to this thread, I just bought the Fabfilter complete bundle, and their copy protection is also fantastic; just copy/paste a license code in, and rock and roll!

I also feel good knowing that if I ever needed to sell these plugins for some reason (doubt I will, I love all plugins mentioned so far, but in case something happened...) The Glue only has a $10 transfer fee, and fabfilter is only $14 for the whole bundle.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with Digidesign's clunker of an amp sim, Eleven, because I don't want to eat a $25 fee on a $75 plug.
Old 29th May 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAiken View Post
Your copy protection is very unobtrusive and didn't inconvenience me in any way when I purchased them...

I thank you and hope other companies will follow....
Really glad to hear that! You know, we've given the topic of copy protection a lot of thought and in the end decided that we simply don't want to make anyone jump through burning hoops just to use a product that (s)he honestly bought. In a perfect world there would be no need for CP, but as things stand a non-intrusive and flexible CP system is the least we could do to return the favor. We don't like software piracy any more than the next company, but being paranoid about it only serves to make life difficult for paying customers.

And let me say that so far we're more than happy with our decision to not go with a dongle or challenge/response--people really appreciate it, and it allows us to work on making better products instead of wasting our time on CP-related support. Treating paying customers like potential criminals and burdening them with difficult or unreliable CP only makes illegal versions that more attractive and hardly seems like the best way to conduct business.

Take care & many thanks for your feedback,

-- dj!
Old 29th May 2009
Cytomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
and you know what he best thing is? after all the hype out there about "the glue" and EVEN with minimal CP its not been cracked. you can search your life away on google and nothing comes up
I expect that it will get cracked at some point once it's out of Beta. If someone wants to use a crack instead of buying the software they will and no amount of copy protection will change that. All I can do is price the software fairly and make life as easy as possible for people doing the right thing.

Andrew Simper
Old 29th May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
What is CP?

Thanks,
Pupo
i bought them both...as well as nearly all the Massey stuff. easy CP, great plug-ins, and
the perfect price-points.

thanks indie plug-in folks,
marty.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is CP?
Copy Protection
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_cytomic View Post
I expect that it will get cracked at some point once it's out of Beta. If someone wants to use a crack instead of buying the software they will and no amount of copy protection will change that. All I can do is price the software fairly and make life as easy as possible for people doing the right thing.

Andrew Simper

This thread makes me really happy. I salute the OP for taking a positive spin on all of this and remarking on the people who are doing it right.

The other factor is that hopefully people have some notion of the human being behind the work.

People like Fabfilter, Cytomic, Massey, 112db, Audio Damage, Stillwell, and countless more I could mention mention: I believe these people are part of a vanguard. Heartfelt, independent digital design done with a sense of economy and a connection to/reward for the paying consumer.

Get behind these lovely, brilliant, eccentric people and they will continue to innovate.

- c
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! View Post
Really glad to hear that! You know, we've given the topic of copy protection a lot of thought and in the end decided that we simply don't want to make anyone jump through burning hoops just to use a product that (s)he honestly bought. In a perfect world there would be no need for CP, but as things stand a non-intrusive and flexible CP system is the least we could do to return the favor. We don't like software piracy any more than the next company, but being paranoid about it only serves to make life difficult for paying customers.

And let me say that so far we're more than happy with our decision to not go with a dongle or challenge/response--people really appreciate it, and it allows us to work on making better products instead of wasting our time on CP-related support. Treating paying customers like potential criminals and burdening them with difficult or unreliable CP only makes illegal versions that more attractive and hardly seems like the best way to conduct business.

Take care & many thanks for your feedback,

-- dj!
that's a nice state of mind, the sad part is your product (the redline reverb) is already available as a crack... I demoed it and really liked it, it's on my list with the cytomic btw (jus waiting a bit cause I just invested in flux + a new computer)... Someone told me recently in another thread how ilok protected products dont get cracked anymore so I had to chek, that how I've seen your plugin is cracked... I personally think ilok are ok and the fact it really works is pretty cool, at least nobody is getting what you pay with you sweat for free... but your product still on my list, I liked it.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

CP= Copy Protection, i think!
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Last edited by Nahuel; 30th May 2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is CP?

Thanks,
Pupo
An acronym for the second and third word used in this thread (ommiting the title).
Old 30th May 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
that's a nice state of mind, the sad part is your product (the redline reverb) is already available as a crack... I demoed it and really liked it, it's on my list with the cytomic btw (jus waiting a bit cause I just invested in flux + a new computer)... Someone told me recently in another thread how ilok protected products dont get cracked anymore so I had to chek, that how I've seen your plugin is cracked... I personally think ilok are ok and the fact it really works is pretty cool, at least nobody is getting what you pay with you sweat for free... but your product still on my list, I liked it.
I wasn't planning on touting this, but since you brought it up: the available cracks of our plugins don't actually work properly--they either time out after the demo period or start to malfunction after a while--so de facto we're still uncracked. But even if at some point fully working cracks become available I still believe one shd focus on the paying customers and not the ones not paying. Every copy protection scheme known to man has been cracked and, given sufficient time, will be cracked again. The only thing draconian protection schemes achieve is to alienate a portion of your potential userbase and force them to look elsewhere.

Besides, despite what many companies would have you believe in order to force their CP schemes on you: I have never in my personal experience seen any significant decrease in sales due to a cracked version becoming available. The companies I worked for prior to 112dB had wildly varying CP schemes ranging from simple serial numbers to iLok, and without exception were cracked at some point--but never did sales figures show any variance. Of course this could be total coincidence due to the relatively small sample size and not hold true for other comparable companies, but in my personal experience cracks do not automatically imply fewer paying customers.

$0.02,

-- dj!
Old 31st May 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks...
I actually deleted the post and thought nobody had read it
Old 1st June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I wasn't planning on touting this, but since you brought it up: the available cracks of our plugins don't actually work properly--they either time out after the demo period or start to malfunction after a while--so de facto we're still uncracked. But even if at some point fully working cracks become available I still believe one shd focus on the paying customers and not the ones not paying. Every copy protection scheme known to man has been cracked and, given sufficient time, will be cracked again. The only thing draconian protection schemes achieve is to alienate a portion of your potential userbase and force them to look elsewhere.

Besides, despite what many companies would have you believe in order to force their CP schemes on you: I have never in my personal experience seen any significant decrease in sales due to a cracked version becoming available. The companies I worked for prior to 112dB had wildly varying CP schemes ranging from simple serial numbers to iLok, and without exception were cracked at some point--but never did sales figures show any variance. Of course this could be total coincidence due to the relatively small sample size and not hold true for other comparable companies, but in my personal experience cracks do not automatically imply fewer paying customers.

$0.02,

-- dj!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for taking a sensible point of view on this. This is what I, as a customer, have been yelling for years - worry about your customers, pirates aren't customers! People pay because they want to, because they value your product. It has value to customers and not to pirates. That's the bottom line. By worrying about your customers and providing them with the best experience possible you ensure that they will remain your customers and return, and no copy protection works anyway, it's all a big sham. It does not protect against copies. Why do we all pretend like we're putting up with it to ensure the value of our sale, when A) that's not what value means, and B) it doesn't?

I have a great deal of respect for you.
Old 1st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

$0.02,

-- dj!
Well it seems like all ilok protected products released last year remain uncraked until this day. Really.

Again as a customer I like to know pirates dont get for free what I bought. So I'm happy that ilok works now. That's why I support that CP scheme, because it works,I dont know how but I cheked, it's real.

I'll still buy the softs I need/want even without Ilok CP to.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search