The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
installs, upgrades, & more fees?
Old 22nd May 2009
500 series nutjob

dose limiting install, upgrades that lead to more upgrades which lead to yet more upgrades, and fees to use the software here then in the next room or down the hall, create an avenue for the so called cracked versions to become so prevalent?

personally i hate thief, a thief of any kind is still a thief, stealing is stealing, period, software hardware doesn't matter to me.
as i have often stated do not stand at the creek edge with your foot in the water ankle deep, then tell me your not in the water.

i have abandon software in the past do to the feeling of being imprisoned or held hostage to a degree, by owning or use such software. anyway not to punish the legitimate users that pay.

if i by something i want to own it, rather it is the actual item or its use, i do not want to be limited, or crippled?

has most around here know i am not a big software guy: (`

i remember getting some software from one of my favorite dealers a few years back, i was told i had to go on line to register and get things up and running, problem was, i had no internet connection and did not want one one ( boy has that changed heh ), i remember feeling like i was being forced to jump through hoops to use something i bought and felt i owned.
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

good point - and nowadays people have multiple machines of course - i have 4 mac's... idealy you might want to work on ideas on one machine and transfer to your main machine for tracking vlocals and mixing - or i might want to put the s/w on one of my macs AND also a windows machine

you work on one of the other machines when the main studio machine is busy doing a session or rendering a long video etc - so you want s/w that EASILY allows multiple installs on your own machines

part of the reason i chose Logic tbh

any restriction on doing that is kinda like DRM in music which failed the music biz so badly. It's kinda like buying a song and not being able to listen to it in your car, only on your hi-fi at home. so you dont buy the music cos it is restricted in where you can play it

could it be the same with s/w?
Old 27th May 2009
500 series nutjob

so, only a few of us feel that limiting install, upgrades that lead to more upgrades which lead to yet more upgrades, and fees to use the software here then in the next room or down the hall, create an avenue for the so called cracked versions to become so prevalent?
wow!
that shocks me!
i guess instead of selling my next product i will license its use, and retain full ownership?
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

You think software companies should give you ownership of the software? Well seeing as there can only be one owner, that would kinda limit them to one sale. I am sure though that many would be happy to sell ownership of their software for several millions of dollars. :-)

I think licensing use it much more practical and cheaper for the end user and it allows many people to use it instead of just one.

I used to hate upgrade fees too until I realized how much it costs to pay engineers to write these updates. You're often looking at paying them $150,000 a year each to code. So when the OS makes an upgrade that breaks everything, someone has to put in a large investment to update the software to allow it to work.

And yes there's always going to be drawbacks to any course taken. Most companies are going to have to settle with what will do the most good for the most. And since most people have internet, they are going to need to focus on that user base. I am sure there are some people out there who are very inconvenienced by install CDs because they are using floppy drives and are tired of the burden of having to go out of their way to deal with CD-ROMs. All joking aside, you can see that no matter what route is taken, there will always be someone who doesn't fit that path.

One of the things i like about what iLok did is that you can then register on some other computer and bring it to your work computer. With Challange and response your work computer has to be online. Not that I could ever imagine not having a computer that is online, but as you mention, not everyone does.
Old 27th May 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
You think software companies should give you ownership of the software? Well seeing as there can only be one owner, that would kinda limit them to one sale. I am sure though that many would be happy to sell ownership of their software for several millions of dollars. :-)
so with this argument their can only be one owner of the SM57, but still people purchase multiple duplicates and they own them, they just do not own the design.

a software company can own their proprietor program, and end user can own their purchased duplication.
no different.

the only reason for the contrary is to leverage usage for the sole purpose of additional revenues, and or other.
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

The equiv would be buying the whole process of making an sm57 so that you could then just make your own. If you own the software, you then have the right to do anything you want with it, including sell it.

So if I bought a plugin for $400, I could just make as many copies as I want and sell them for $200. And no one would need to buy from the developer who spend millions on developing it, they can just buy it from me for half the price since my development cost was $400.

My response was meant to be joking more than anything, but it does actually hold true. The only way to get around this problem is with a license to use it, not to own it. If physical objects like a 57 could be replicated by anyone at no expense, then they too would have the same issues as intellectual property.
Old 28th May 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
The equiv would be buying the whole process of making an sm57 so that you could then just make your own. If you own the software, you then have the right to do anything you want with it, including sell it.

So if I bought a plugin for $400, I could just make as many copies as I want and sell them for $200. And no one would need to buy from the developer who spend millions on developing it, they can just buy it from me for half the price since my development cost was $400.

My response was meant to be joking more than anything, but it does actually hold true. The only way to get around this problem is with a license to use it, not to own it. If physical objects like a 57 could be replicated by anyone at no expense, then they too would have the same issues as intellectual property.
i still disagree: (~
the issue becomes counterfeiting, cloning, copyright infringement, and thievery.
and the truth be known, counterfeiting or cloning a 57 is cheap and being done: O~
and it should be prosecuted as a crime.
i think educating people is helpful, but i also feel crime should be prosecuted, their should be a consequence for a given action.
if the crimes are committed by minors, then the legal guardians or parents should be help responsible.
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

That's patent infringement. And it still requires material and machinery and a large startup expense to do. Intellectual property on the other hand can be copied and resold by anyone at no expense.

You own that 57, you can modify it, you can sell it, you can do whatever you want. But you can't make copies of it. You can build your own knockoffs, but you can't copy it.
Old 29th May 2009
500 series nutjob

i think the same should apply for software i have to buy?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search