The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New iLok design time?
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Addict

New iLok design time?

I guess this is a question aimed at Andrew from PACE..

Do you think its time to redesign the actual physical iLok? I would think something a but smaller, and maybe metal (less prone to snapping?)

I guess another one of my dislikes about the iLok is they seem and feel a bit fragile to me, especially for my personal laptop use...
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Here here.

Everybody uses them on their Macbook these days.

The Ilok doesn't seem to address people in this market. Given that this is a huge market (many people use their Macbooks on stage!).

I would like to hear thoughts on this topic.

- c
Old 24th May 2009
A little bird told me this idea was under review right now..

heh
Old 24th May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

heh
nice!
Old 24th May 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it would be cool if the dongle was more than just a dongle. Maybe it could also double as a USB disk? Imagine being able to store both your authorisations AND a copy of your plug-ins folder on the thing - the portability would be AMAZING.
Old 24th May 2009
TRW
Lives for gear

Good to hear Jules.

I'm sick of forcing my iLok in against my other usb stuff on my macbook pro.

Slim as possible please!

-T
Old 24th May 2009

I hope they get rid of the bits sticking out the side so that you still use usb ports next to them when the ports are aligned inline!

narco
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

The goal should be very, very simple:

As

small

as

possible.
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again - it would be cool if the dongle was more than just a dongle. Maybe it could also double as a USB disk? Imagine being able to store both your authorisations AND a copy of your plug-ins folder on the thing - the portability would be AMAZING.
Couldn't agree more !
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

we should be allowed 1 ilok license and one internet license - so long as hyou are connected to the internet you get your plugins licensed on a single machine
Old 24th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
SD ish

SD isnt going away any time soon
Old 25th May 2009
Special guest

Thumbs up

No comment

Ok, we hear you all loud and clear. It is something being worked on. I cannot give much in the way of details here. We have moved most vendors off the license cards and know what the market requirements are. In addition we are sensitive to costs and design issues for the markets that use the iLok.

The iLok was first released almost 10 years ago so many users have iLoks that have seen a lot of use. In fact, I have spoken to some studios where the iLok is older than most other computer technology being used. Some users update their iLok - getting a new one every 3-4 years and moving their licenses to the newer unit.

The iLok may look old in design but few iLoks really break unless they are forcefully broken.
<http://www.ilok.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/iLokManager.woa/15/wa/FunStuff>

I understand that many using notebooks don't like having the dongle. Our own team uses small hubs and many user have the dongle buddy USB extender.

Software publishers that use iLok can also offer software licenses on the same platform, they could automate this too. That is not a restriction of the iLok or our technology. Our goal is to continue build centralized services that can help make your life easier as a user of licensed software.
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

Talking

i mentioned to the little bird - that the smallest dongle would be best....

this would be a great size!!! apparently many never disconnect but leave it plugged in...

its from here and THIS even has a wireless connection in it...
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../3271&cl=US,EN
Old 25th May 2009
Lives for gear

usb serial keys, sad face

Really tired of those things, just posted about a test with Windows 7. This is the reason I actually started doing the beta test. I can't tell you guys how many times I have gotten somewhere and then realized the old key was in left in the mac at home in my basement. I'm also really lazy and work upstairs in my room quite often. It helps having limited gear around-- it makes me focus more on the writing.

So I installed Windows 7 and Reaper on my pc laptop, no usb serial key! yeah! now, no more plugging and unplugging, forgetting, walking up and down stairs etc...

The mac downstairs is running Cubase 5 and other usb keys and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

If I need the wavs from downstairs or upstairs I get them off the server in my home and don't have to worry about those damn keys!

It is a great thing.
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

heh
did the bird say if it was SD?
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

how many motherboards have been damaged though? Its like a big paddle waiting to have a hand sat down upon on it.

i think it needs to be flush. there is no way you can use it on a laptop without having a 'safe zone' around it so it doesn't get an elbow or hand on it.
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

maybe this is a dumb idea, but how about a wireless vsn, like a bluetooth?
Old 26th May 2009
Gear nut

i agree with a new design for iloks... would totally buy a new redesign! as an ilok user, it would be really nice to see a titanium fit like sandisk titanium usb drives. i also think a 4 digit 'pin code' would be awesome addition(in case someone stole your ilok).
Old 26th May 2009
Gear Nut

I've only had an iLok for a little while now and the first thing that I thought of when I got mine was that the design sucked. I have to admit Im big on aesthetics with all of my gear and I think this thing screams ugly, cheap looking and needs help.
Old 26th May 2009
Here for the gear

I was about to start a topic on this very subject but it looks like I've been beaten to it

I think the physical construction of both the Syncrosoft and iLok dongles is really poor considering they can potentially hold thousands of pounds worth of software licenses.

As noted already in the thread, the iLok key is too large and made of plastic, though it does seem reasonably robust. Even so, I paid £30 for my iLok, yet USB drives I've bought for around half of that are made of metal and are more compact.

The Syncrosoft dongle is quite flimsy, in my experience. The plastic seems to crack around the USB connector and then the rest of the casing gradually fall aparts. We've got one in the office here that is plugged into the same computer pretty much all the time, so it's had a really easy life, but it's now held together with Sellotape because it just crumbled. My own dongle also has cracks showing around the connector, and the other end with the 'loop' is also cracking.

Oh, and neither of these dongles even comes with a dust cap!

I think it's about time that dongles matched up to the kind of physical standards you'd expect from a piece of professional audio hardware.

Lee du-Caine
Deputy Editor
Computer Music magazine
Computer Music
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

Conspiracy theory:
iLok makes their dongles out of cheap, so that people focus their complaints on that instead of the outrageous fees.

But seriously, when you can get a 8GB USB drive made out of metal for $10, and a iLok made out of plastic is $40... I'm not sure how big each license is, but if the iLok can only hold 120 licenses, I'm guessing it's not more than a couple hundred megabytes...
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

The whole issue of lost iLoks also needs to be addressed in the new design. However it is done, the legitimate user of the iLok needs to be as protected as the publishers. How? I don't really mind, providing that there is some way that losing your iLok is something the user can recover from. Possibilities:

1. Online iLok, physical iLok only needed when there is no internet access.
2. Physical iLok should be password protected, linked to specific computers - ie, even with the right password, iLok can't be used without adding a new computer to the iLok.
3. Physical iLok has an option to silently check in with iLok.com. If the iLok has been stolen, it is disabled. Info as to where the iLok is (computer's identifying numbers, etc.) is put into user's iLok account, giving the user a chance to track down the thief.
4. Overall concept is that the iLok is more like an ATM card - if it's stolen, you cancel it and that's the end of it.

Yes, I understand that there will be times when there is a possibility of a stolen iLok being used for a time while the legitimate user is using his replacement iLok. There will be some "slop" in the system, but sooner or later the thieves will be brought to light.

This means some loss of privacy, which is fine provided it isn't abused.

Fix this thing as soon as possible! Best...H
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Head

to be honest i don't know if i would want it small. this means its easier for people to lose...
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Smile +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by logichead View Post
The whole issue of lost iLoks also needs to be addressed in the new design. However it is done, the legitimate user of the iLok needs to be as protected as the publishers. How? I don't really mind, providing that there is some way that losing your iLok is something the user can recover from. Possibilities:

2. Physical iLok should be password protected, linked to specific computers - ie, even with the right password, iLok can't be used without adding a new computer to the iLok.
3. Physical iLok has an option to silently check in with iLok.com. If the iLok has been stolen, it is disabled. Info as to where the iLok is (computer's identifying numbers, etc.) is put into user's iLok account, giving the user a chance to track down the thief.
4. Overall concept is that the iLok is more like an ATM card - if it's stolen, you cancel it and that's the end of it.

Yes, I understand that there will be times when there is a possibility of a stolen iLok being used for a time while the legitimate user is using his replacement iLok. There will be some "slop" in the system, but sooner or later the thieves will be brought to light.

This means some loss of privacy, which is fine provided it isn't abused.

Old 29th May 2009
Gear Addict
First to Andy, I worked in a 3 room professional facility for about 3 years (left in November), and in the span of 12 months, I saw 2 SEPARATE iLoks in different rooms running desktop computers break. In both cases the design of the device itself was a contributing factor: moving cords or people behind carefully racked computers can result in iLok snappage through ordinary use. Fortunately both iLoks held together just enough that we could transfer our licenses with a little TLC. We were lucky.

When I got a new MBP in January I noticed the paddle-problem immediately, and since this was personal gear, I decided not to risk killing my iLok. My first solution: I bought a small IOgear hub with a right-angle connector that sticks out maybe 1/2" from a 6" cable that leads to the body (4 or 5 sockets down there I think). It worked, but the short cable in the hub created a new hazard, to my motherboard instead of the iLok. So I bought a 6' USB extender cable with a LEFT angle connector (bends away from the FW port). This solved the whole issue, and often I just bring the extender and iLok to remotes (when I'm sure I have no other USB needs). I added a right angle FW400 cable to remove the other too-long connector from my rig's right side.

Not cheap (I've spent as much on cables and hubs as the iLok cost), but it makes me feel a little better. I'm much less likely to snap my iLok or motherboard now.

-d-
Old 30th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I just hope that the new version has at least three or four times the space for licenses. I can get any number of flash drives ranging from 8GB to 16GB for the price of one iLok, and some of them feature durable material construction and even hardware encryption features. The license limit is kind of a joke considering the size of the license files and the cost of stable, rugged flash memory these days.

The one thing that would keep this from happening is that it would really only benefit the customer, and unless there's some quid in it for you guys, I doubt we'll be getting any benevolent pro quo. Prove me wrong and I'll be a happier iLok user
Old 30th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by logichead View Post

+2!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search