The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can a smart phones be put to use in copy protection?
Old 19th May 2009
Gearslutz.com admin

Can a smart phones be put to use in copy protection?

How about blue tooth authorization?

I suppose if the owner of the phone steps out for lunch the session would grind to a halt heh

But seriously - what about some blue sky thinking? New technology - the future?

( any excuse to discuss iPhone! )

If smart phones / tablets are going to replace computers, soon there may not physically be enough ROOM for a USB iLok... (this was mentioned in someone else's post and I agree..)

Thoughts?
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Addict

My wife works with publishing in 8 different Asian nations. Cell phone providers (i.e. ATT, Verizon, etc... except their versions) are the content providers (music, video, etc.). They also do all of the accounting of royalties paid out to the various publishers, etc. It's a great system. Unfortunately, it means all of your music is on your phone, rather than having a "hard copy" for your home use. However, with the direction and needs of end-users, it's by far the best way to go. Very little to no piracy with this system... you can't share the song between phones, once you get rid of it you have to repurchase, etc. That's been our experience.
Old 19th May 2009
Special guest

Blue Sky

The future of mobile devices and how they interact with other tech, or how we unlock new features in them....is definitely BLUE SKY.....
Old 19th May 2009
Gear maniac

I don't think the equipment manufacturers would go for having an iPhone double as an ilok.
Old 20th May 2009
TSM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheftel View Post
I don't think the equipment manufacturers would go for having an iPhone double as an ilok.
Geesh, I hope Steve Jobs dosen't see this.....Logic 9 with Bluetooth Dongle on an Apple iphone....

Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

it makes sense when the cell phone requests a password for accessing the DAW.

eventually, there is already huge professional responsibility with using the phone for so many tasks already, including purchase of goods.
it comes down to the person and time of use, be it music or music software.

if your children break the ilok or do some nonsense with your blackberry, eventually same problem...
Old 30th May 2009
Lives for gear

A couple of years ago I thought how this would be how we all pay for goods at the shops. Just tap your pin into your own phone. Turns out there is a system like this in Japan (isn't there always?)

I'm looking forward to not carrying a wallet around.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search