The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)
Old 17th May 2009
Lives for gear

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

Old 18th May 2009
Special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovisceral View Post
You are no doubt I imagine following the ongoing ACTA negotiations.

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any thoughts on what future effects it may or may not have on piracy in general?

Any guesses or hopes as to when they might actually get it done?

Thanks
I would say that an agreement like this means nothing without China.....

My underlying sense is that we have yet to come to terms with what a "digital economy" actually means in regards to old school laws and approaches to IP....We are really just a few generations into a new world...where things can actually be downloaded...and, in my opinion, we have an installed user base that for the most part have been raised with the belief that " if you can download it, it must be free'....

The business model has to evolve..otherwise we juts keep trying to push the river..What it evolves into, or how...good question
Old 19th May 2009
Gear Head

Thanks!

I believe that such agreements are best for stopping the counterfeiting of physical goods than they are for stopping intellectual property theft. Unless every country and every ISP is onboard, such actions won’t be as effective as they could to be. As long as these products are available on the internet, people will download and use them. They do not care whether the pirate's server is in the US, China, Russia, or some little island in the middle of nowhere.
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search