The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Our studios were completely destroyed by Sandy
Old 13th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakumei47 View Post
Andrew's Harrison and my MCI 528c were both completely submerged, along with all of our tape machines and outboard. We're trying to see what we can do and are keeping our fingers crossed for the consoles, but super worried about patchbays, transformers, and the eight million switches in these.

Even though the consoles don't have as good a chance as some of the other gear, to me it's the most heartbreaking part. The amount of work it takes to recap, maintain, and restore a 30+ year-old console makes it so personal and heartbreaking to lose...
Yes, and even if you clean everything and it's good as new, you still had to go through the experience of the heartbreak and uncertainty, which is a really crappy experience.
Old 13th November 2012
I have a 24 space shock mounted rack and a 48 space metal rack that aren't in use. They're both a bit of a hassle to move, but if you've got any use for them, let me know.
Old 13th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
I have an old client who is a lawyer and at one point specialized in suing insurance companies. PM me if you want his info.
I had an insurance claim denied once - you can go higher, appeal and depending on the outcome, they can be told that they HAVE TO pay you.

Obviously they dont like that but....
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Addict

Damn. So sorry for your loss.
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Head

Emailed.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Guru

Since my neighbors & I were planning to be out for a week, all of us had extra storm provisions.

Last week we sent a truck loaded full with extra provisions pet supplies & camping supplies to N.J doing what we can to help out.
Old 19th November 2012
What a bummer.
Sent a donation, my budget is tight with a new studio rebuild in process but gave what I could right now. I might have some gear and stuff to donate also after I am done.

Good luck and much aloha!
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Nut

I'll donate as soon as I can guys. Good luck and have strength.
Old 20th November 2012
My band did our first record at Andrew's first iteration of Translator, and Andrew is a bit of a regular at my studio here in Boston. He's a stand-up guy, and a phenomenal engineer. Anyone that knows me or my work knows I owe a huge debt to him; he's been a huge inspiration and influence on me and a ton of people around here. This news is devastating to us.

We're working towards sending a sizable care package Andrew's way, and we're hoping to consolidate a bunch of gear from folks here in town to send him in one big shipment. I'd prefer not to get into details here, but if anyone is in the Boston area and wants to help, PM me and we can hopefully pull something together for these guys.

Best of luck to everyone affected by this
Old 20th November 2012
Heart-breaking to see/read about the situation after this unfortunate event.

Heart-warming to see people helping each other out in this time of need.

Best wishes to all of you guys!
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for all the replies...been swamped with the recovery and paperwork and all so I missed a lot here. But really appreciate it!

We're still dealing with insurance at the moment...just got my first valuation report. Realizing there is going to be a lot of back and forth after writing up a five-page response. They're actually good with the currently available gear, but wow, a lot of the older stuff is totally hit or miss. Umm $4500 less than what I paid in parts not even including hundreds of hours of tech work for the console? Yikes. But hoping it'll work out.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Addict

From my days of deep diving we used a product call "Saltex"
best for salt water corrosion, could be helpful on critical part for the long run.

My best to you ,hurricane is not to be taken lightly, always ready to pack the critical gear as I live in the Florida Keys
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Addict

sorry about that.

best wishes to you guys
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey guys,

I know Andrew from Translator and he's worked at my place before. We are pretty booked up at the moment but we have night sessions from 12 midnight til 9AM open fi you're interested in using the place for free. I also have 12/23,12/24,12/25,12/26 wide open if that's of any interest.

So sorry and best of luck!
C

Get in touch here
[email protected]
GaluminumFoil Studios
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry for your loss my friends. I too lost my studio with 6 feet of storm surge. I would post photos but I`m not exactly sure how...

I live in South Brooklyn, a block from the water. We were never told to evacuate until 30 minutes after the storm came so most of my stuff was ruined with salt water, sewage and sludge. I have a garden that runs alongside the exterior of my studio and lots of soil was brought into the studio with lots of leaves. There was mud everywhere as well. The water was so strong, it busted holes in two walls and even sucked a garbage can into my studio. Just crazy... Clean up took us a good 4 days, which included tearing down all the walls and treating the mold buildup.

Thankfully I was able to save my computers, hard drives, guitars and my two Avalon 737s. Everything else was lost including 25 years worth of personal belongings like journals, photographs, every CD I ever owned, hundreds of books.

The first 48 hours after the storm were the hardest. Dealing with the loss, picking up photos of my kids off the studio floor just broke my heart. Throwing out videos from when they were babies was gut wrenching. As silly as it sounds but I felt like I lost them too during those first few days even though they were fine. It was really tough. I have friends who lost houses too, at least 4 I can name off the top of my head. The storm was beyond anything I ever imagined.

Just wanted to share my story with you, you`re not alone.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Katrina victim here. Trust me, I know what you are going thru; it's absolutely devastating, and makes you wonder about if it's worth it to have so much blood, sweat and tears tied up in physical possessions.

My prayers are with you concerning the insurance companies; IME they will do everything in their power to avoid giving you even 50% of what all that stuff is really worth.

Now whenever even a tropical storm is approaching New Orleans I pack up everything I own into a large van and get the hell out of town. I even gutted my Trident 80b recently to evacuate, placing all the channel strips into boxes with lots of bubble wrap.

IME this is the only truly effective insurance policy for a natural disaster; being prepared to get out with your stuff and take matters into your own hands. Insurance companies are con artists with licenses that will do everything in their power to avoid doing what they were paid to do. You pay them, but when disaster strikes on a large scale they are trying to hold onto their "profits" at all costs !

DO NOT just assume you are "covered" because you have a policy. That was one of the hardest lessons I have ever learned !

And I no longer have insurance for this reason !

I sincerely wish you the very best in all of this.
Wow, thanks for sharing Sage. My insurance policy is starting to look more and more like yours. Pack up everything and go. Its unfortunate but you`re right, insurance companies are a bunch of crooks, like car dealers... and bankers...
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing Sage. My insurance policy is starting to look more and more like yours. Pack up everything and go. Its unfortunate but you`re right, insurance companies are a bunch of crooks, like car dealers... and bankers...
Yeah insurance companies are scumbags....I lost faith in them when I had a 5000$ Rolex stolen from my house while I was on vacation, it was a gift from my family for high school graduation and carried a worth beyond monetary value...engraved with my initials I planned to be buried wearing it...and the insurance company bumped me because there were no signs of forced entry, despite it being in a locked drawer in my bedroom in a shared house.....

I'll be sure to come back here and give y'all what I can spare, but at the moment I'm eating Kraft Dinner and soup because I had my wallet stolen and having trouble getting a new bank card(offshore account, long story).

My studio only has about 6000£ worth of stuff in total so I could not imagine how dark a day it would be to lose like 300k worth of stuff.

Hope that those ****ing scumbags pay you, ridiculous that with so many people making payments they have the audacity to reject claims, it's supposed to be a service, not a TAX.
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Sorry for your loss my friends. I too lost my studio with 6 feet of storm surge. I would post photos but I`m not exactly sure how...

I live in South Brooklyn, a block from the water. We were never told to evacuate until 30 minutes after the storm came so most of my stuff was ruined with salt water, sewage and sludge. I have a garden that runs alongside the exterior of my studio and lots of soil was brought into the studio with lots of leaves. There was mud everywhere as well. The water was so strong, it busted holes in two walls and even sucked a garbage can into my studio. Just crazy... Clean up took us a good 4 days, which included tearing down all the walls and treating the mold buildup.

Thankfully I was able to save my computers, hard drives, guitars and my two Avalon 737s. Everything else was lost including 25 years worth of personal belongings like journals, photographs, every CD I ever owned, hundreds of books.

The first 48 hours after the storm were the hardest. Dealing with the loss, picking up photos of my kids off the studio floor just broke my heart. Throwing out videos from when they were babies was gut wrenching. As silly as it sounds but I felt like I lost them too during those first few days even though they were fine. It was really tough. I have friends who lost houses too, at least 4 I can name off the top of my head. The storm was beyond anything I ever imagined.

Just wanted to share my story with you, you`re not alone.
Really sorry to hear about your situation too and hoping the best for as smooth a recovery as possible. Yeah, I was luckily enough that it was just the studio and not my house, but it was those little personal things that had the biggest initial impact. It was pretty intense to see the vinyl and cds for everything I've worked on in the last ten or so years just thrown around everywhere (and just everyone stepping all over it as we tried to pull things out as quickly as we could). All that can be replaced, so it's not a big deal. Just felt really weird.

Dealing with insurance is taking forever. They don't do partial payouts, so I have to agree to the price before I see anything. They're being great with pricing on currently available gear, but wow it it a mess dealing with 30+ year old items and DIY or custom stuff. Doesn't help that the adjuster knows nothing about music gear, so trying to explain different console models and why they're not equivalent and how finding a cheap ebay auction that says "I don't have any equipment to test this item and don't know anything about it's functions, so it's sold as-is. However it was removed from a working studio" doesn't really say anything about how much you can get a working piece for...UGH. Getting some real appraisals/valuations though so hopefully it'll be "ok" (still meaning at best 70% for gear and none of the building).
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Man. That is so rough. Sorry this happened. I hope you all get back on your feet. Rock on
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Head
Hey just donated a very lil bone to all 3-the least I could do. I'm in Queens and I didn't suffer at all by Sandy, was def one of the lucky ones so I could only imagine what this feels like and just seeing those photos :(
Trust in GOD (or whoever ur higher power is) that u guys will rebuild and possibly even better than before for it was GOD that brought me here to this post. Blessings, stay strong! Luv!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search