The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elmont NY No Power No Heat and A Big Tree Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 2nd November 2012
Elmont NY No Power No Heat and A Big Tree

No Power since Monday, so no heat either and it's cold, Monday night a big tree hit the house luckily it hit the garage and no serious structural damage. The studio's OK but it's cold, dark and depressing
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Being a Miami native I've survived several Hurricanes including Hurricane Andrew (which was the last CAT 5 to hit the US).

The attitude down here for one is everyone likes to have hurricane parties during the storm. Some bars will even be open and host these parties as long as its not above a CAT 2, sometimes CAT 3.

Anyways in all seriousness, my regimen down here is we always keep extra supplies of nonperishable food, first aid kit, batteries, and a good machete, so we don't have to go out and spend a fortune when a storm nears.

When a storm nears, first priority is fill the car with gas and an extra tank so u can refill later and avoid the long lines after the storm. An excellent cooler that will keep ice for several days is also important. Down here its hot as **** and food spoils fast, ice goes quickly too. After hurricane Andrew I remember the main thing everyone was needing was gas, ice, and water.

Fill the bath tubs with water. One for baths, another for drinking.

Alcohol. We're drinkers down here. Bars are open 24/7 and u can purchase alcohol 24/7 so main thing everyone does too is stock up on alcohol cause people tend to start little block parties after the storm, great way to meet and get to know neighbors, also the activity keeps potential looters at bay.

I never do propane tanks cause we just take downed trees and turn em to firewood.

If I were up there in those conditions, I would consider starting a fire, gather the neighbors and sleep outside beside the fire.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
If I were up there in those conditions, I would consider starting a fire, gather the neighbors and sleep outside beside the fire.
Isn't it a flood? You got special wood?

Don't actually play that... Sorry guys.
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Well, he didn't mention anything about his house being an island at the moment. And those floods are temporary, should be gone by now. it ain't like Katrina either, (which btw I survived Katrina too but it was a CAT 1 when it rolled through here lol).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No Power since Monday, so no heat either and it's cold, Monday night a big tree hit the house luckily it hit the garage and no serious structural damage. The studio's OK but it's cold, dark and depressing
I know what you mean Lou. I hope you get power back soon. I mentioned on another thread that we lost power for 5 days one year ago in a freak 100+ mph windstorm with gusts way up into the mid 100's that torched our area. I though I was going to go crazy after day 2. LOL Couldn't drive anywhere with all the trees down. I hope you guys get back to "normal" soon. Best, bp
Old 9th November 2012
It took 9 days and then yesterday we had a bad Nor'easter, somehow my power stayed on, but my nerves are shot. ON top of that there is an insane gas shortage, at least this weekend warms up
Old 10th November 2012
here's a pic of the tree
Attached Thumbnails
Elmont NY No Power No Heat and A Big Tree-394101_492015794164784_563894259_n.jpg  
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Nasty. Sorry to hear it. I feel your pain. I'm in Ozone Park and my Fiancee is 2 minutes away in Howard Beach. I just lost power for about 6 days or so but her neighborhood got decimated so she's been staying by me. People only a block from her lost their entire houses. Both of us are really fortunate so we're not complaining.

Howard Beach, Staten Island and the Rockaways are still in very bad shape. FEMA is here in Howard Beach but they're really useless. As expected, FEMA is not really doing much of anything based on what some friends of mine in Old Howard who lost their homes told me.

A FEMA person who was going around making a note of damage and reimbursement marked down that my friend's TV is working! His entire first floor is gutted by flood waters and the entire neighborhood has no power. When my friend protested, the FEMA rep told him that when they get power back, if the TV doesn't work he can file a dispute on the claim. Amazing.

Best of Luck to you Lou. This was a lot worse than most of us expected.

Regards,
Frank
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
It took 9 days and then yesterday we had a bad Nor'easter, somehow my power stayed on, but my nerves are shot. ON top of that there is an insane gas shortage, at least this weekend warms up
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the gas shortage due to? It isn't obvious to me, but I rarely deal with natural disasters.

And you got a snowstorm? I wonder why the heck it didn't hit up here in Ontario/Quebec.

My best feelings go towards all you down there, and all the crews working around the clock to restore electricity.
Old 10th November 2012
a few of the gas depots got hit, and right after the storm the tankers couldn't get in until the coast guard cleared some local waterways, and people are F#$king hoarders, they are in a panic. Now they've instituted odd/even gas rationing and the lines at least for the first day were much better. Hopefully in the next week or so this will go away. And of course every gas station has raised their price.
Old 10th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Nasty. Sorry to hear it. I feel your pain. I'm in Ozone Park and my Fiancee is 2 minutes away in Howard Beach. I just lost power for about 6 days or so but her neighborhood got decimated so she's been staying by me. People only a block from her lost their entire houses. Both of us are really fortunate so we're not complaining.

Howard Beach, Staten Island and the Rockaways are still in very bad shape. FEMA is here in Howard Beach but they're really useless. As expected, FEMA is not really doing much of anything based on what some friends of mine in Old Howard who lost their homes told me.

A FEMA person who was going around making a note of damage and reimbursement marked down that my friend's TV is working! His entire first floor is gutted by flood waters and the entire neighborhood has no power. When my friend protested, the FEMA rep told him that when they get power back, if the TV doesn't work he can file a dispute on the claim. Amazing.

Best of Luck to you Lou. This was a lot worse than most of us expected.

Regards,
Frank
Tell me about it, I had had a client who lived in Belle Harbor, his house is totally gone. The good news is the tree guy came this morning and the big ass tree is gone. My insurance company was very quick with paying so far. I have to go up on my roof today the tree guy said there are two small holes over my garage. And LIPA SUCKSSSSSSS. I've had power since tuesday but there are many people in the neighborhood even across the street from me that have yet to get power.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search