The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brooklyn checking in
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Nut

Brooklyn checking in

Hurricane Sandy certainly got the best of New York. Somehow my family is OK thank God and we fared way better than most. Some of my friends lost their studios and it is heartbreaking. We shall overcome.
Here are some photos from the area.

peace
Steve La Cerra
Attached Thumbnails
Brooklyn checking in-pa310394.jpg   Brooklyn checking in-1030_tunnel-flooded1.jpg   Brooklyn checking in-121029hurricanesandybrooklyn.jpg   Brooklyn checking in-1351540965259.cached.jpg   Brooklyn checking in-article-2225164-15c0d734000005dc-562_634x427.jpg  

Brooklyn checking in-cisland.jpg  
Old 2nd November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northamusi View Post
Hurricane Sandy certainly got the best of New York. Somehow my family is OK thank God and we fared way better than most. Some of my friends lost their studios and it is heartbreaking. We shall overcome.
Here are some photos from the area.

peace
Steve La Cerra
Glad you and your family are OK. Definitely sucks about the studios. Hope insurance and write offs help make up the difference for them.

That shot of the Battery Tunnel and the Verrazano are amazing, thank you for sharing those.

Be well.
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Head
Jeez, the entire battery park tunnel is filled? That's mindblowing. I moved away from NYC in September for school - I can't imagine it like this. Always felt like we got lucky with the storms..

Glad to hear you're alright!

What's crime like? I hope it wouldn't be too bad but there are always people taking advantage of the community in situations like these, whether it be rape or robbery..
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Nut

Actually most of the NY area tunnels are closed due to being filled with water: Midtown, Battery, and Holland as of now (Friday evening). Also flooded were most of the NYC train tunnels.

Today the Mayor canceled the NYC Marathon amidst an incredible public outcry. Most NYC citizens couldn't understand how the Mayor could justify allocating the resources (Police, Emergency Medical Techs, porta-potties, generators and bottled water) for a foot race, when our residents need those resources. Mayor Bloomberg was pretty pigheaded about going on with the Marathon but at about 5:00 PM Friday he announced it was canceled. I think it was wise for him and for public safety.

As for crime, I have heard stories of looting (though not 'round here) and I feel tension in the air while driving. People are not paying attention to their driving and there is a sense of panic (unjustified) over the availability of gasoline. Apparently it's a combination of two issues: there are gas stations that simply don't have any gas due to lack of delivery -- resulting in lines that are miles and hours long; and there are gas stations that have plenty of gas but can't pump it due to lack of electricity. People get all bent out of shape over stuff like this but really -- so what if you can't drive? There are other means of transportation, and the city has done an amazing job of getting mass transportation back up and running.

One or two friends with studios in New Jersey are without power and other services. I offered one a place to stay but he won't leave for fear of getting robbed (and this is in an upscale New Jersey area).

I have been trying to ascertain the condition of gear in storage owned by the band I tour manage but we have been unable to access our storage facility. I have heard reports of anywhere from two to seven feet of water at one of two buildings there. Hopefully tomorrow my crew guys will be able to get there to check it out but we might have some serious losses.

All very upsetting but at this stage in my life I really believe that it comes down to this:
my family -- in particular my parents who are not exactly spring chickens -- are safe and unharmed. Everything else is bulls^^t.

peace

Steve La Cerra
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

Glad to hear your OK Steve...

Where I am, in Millbrook, we happened to luck out this time, last year on Oct 28th, got hit with three feet of snow and lost power for almost 7 days.
And I had just started basics with a band.
What a mess.
Go figure...
Anyhow, family and friends are most important.
Equipment, can always be replaced!
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northamusi View Post
We shall overcome.
Yes you will.

You guys got hammered though.
Old 11th November 2012
Gear Nut

Hi Paul:
I hope all is well with you. Can you believe after all this we got snow last week?
Ugh. This is crazy.

It's going to be a long cold winter.

PS: most of the NYC subway system is back up and running. Holland tunnel has reopened, Battery tunnel is still closed.

Peace
Steve
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, it's just begun....
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand View Post
That shot of the Battery Tunnel and the Verrazano are amazing, thank you for sharing those.

Be well.
thats the Manhattan Bridge i believe... still a crazy shot tho.

da relic
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Nut

Verrazano Bridge, looking west from the Brooklyn side.
Scary pic.
peace
Steve
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Addict

well, the reason i say it is the Manhattan, is bcuz i see tall buildings in the background (New York City).. and i believe thats the Brooklyn bridge in the background as well.. plus there arent any buildings that are beneath the bridge on either side of the VZB, but on here, theyre there.. thats all.

da relic
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search