The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Queens, NY.
Old 1st November 2012
Queens, NY.

Hello.

We were very lucky in that neither my project studio in Long Island City, nor my home in Astoria were affected very much by Sandy.

Today the subways are up and running somewhat, so I will be heading into my day job. Some of my friends' rehearsal spaces in Green Point flooded, but the damage was fairly minimal.

All around my apartment there were cars crushed by trees and downed power lines, but other than a few flickers of the lights (and the building shaking!), we didn't experience any effects.

Definitely feeling for the people who were less fortunate then myself right now.

Peace,

Jake
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand View Post
Hello.

We were very lucky in that neither my project studio in Long Island City, nor my home in Astoria were affected very much by Sandy.

Today the subways are up and running somewhat, so I will be heading into my day job. Some of my friends' rehearsal spaces in Green Point flooded, but the damage was fairly minimal.

All around my apartment there were cars crushed by trees and downed power lines, but other than a few flickers of the lights (and the building shaking!), we didn't experience any effects.

Definitely feeling for the people who were less fortunate then myself right now.

Peace,

Jake
Good to hear!
Do you know if the Nj transit is working to NY Penn Station is working?

I need to go up there asap but i doubt NJ Transit is functioning.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Guru

I'm also in Astoria. I think we got away easy up here.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Maniac

Took the subway to work today. There is limited service but I am actually very impressed with the city getting things back up and running. Best wishes to those in lower Manhattan to get power back soon!
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

It's friggin' amazing how resilient New Yorkers are.
Old 1st November 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello.

Peace,

Jake
That's good. I'm glad that your studio wasn't damaged. The storm was so terrible & it's good to hear that your stuff wasn't lost.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Queens is DEFINITELY NOT returning to normal yet by a long stretch and if you're in an area that wasn't hard hit, don't be fooled. It's not like that everywhere.

I'm in Ozone Park, still with no power. Con-Ed is saying that it still be about 10 days for Queens to fully have power back.

My fiancee who lives in the next neighborhood, Howard Beach, was devastated. Many, many people lost houses and the streets are littered with automobiles all over. They're on people's front lawns, through broken bus shelters, etc. The national guard and red cross is here handing out water and blankets since so many here are homeless and without power and water. Reports are saying that the surge from Jamaica bay into Howard beach topped at 12 feet in places. Howard Beach has been declared a federal disaster area and FEMA is there. Far from OK.

Thank God my fiancee has a condo on the second floor, so her place was miraculously spared, but I have one very close friend who lives blocks from her who's complete house has been flattened. The streets are littered still with flood waters and personal belongings. People are being cautioned not to drink the water since it's polluted with engine oil and sewage at the moment. No power or heat or running water. Thankfully the National Guard is there and has set up tents and are giving out water.

And this is just in my neighborhood. This isn't to mention Breezy point where over 110 houses burnt to the ground because of a fire that spread from one house to another since firefighters couldn't get to it because they were held back by flood waters. An entire neighborhood is burnt to the ground.

I'm not even mentioning the Rockaways yet which is equally devastated.

I feel for the OP, who desperately wants to believe things are OK, and who wouldn't in these times, but just because the area where he is thankfully was spared, all he has to do is take a 15 minute ride down the Grand Central to Howard Beach and instead he'll be confronted with what looks like a third world country.

Astoria dodged a huge bullet. The rest of Queens wasn't so lucky.

As for my fiancee and I, both of us are just grateful that we still have our homes. Many here don't even have that. Hot water and heat is an afterthought.

But it's true - we are resilient. Like any disaster, you just have to pick up the pieces and keep going. I was born here - where else would I go?

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Here's an overview of my fiancee's neighborhood:
The Wrath of Hurricane Sandy – Flatbush, Howard Beach & Broad Channel – Fading Ad Blog

Panoramic view of Breezy Point, Queens in the aftermath of Sandy:
Panoramic view of Breezy Point destruction after Hurricane Sandy fire and flood - PhotoBlog

A flickr feed of Rockaway beach:
Flickr: Pam_Andrade's Photostream

Unfortunately Queens is far from returning to normal.

Regards,
Frank
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Nut

Our family's thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by Sandy.
Old 2nd November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Here's an overview of my fiancee's neighborhood:
The Wrath of Hurricane Sandy – Flatbush, Howard Beach & Broad Channel – Fading Ad Blog

Panoramic view of Breezy Point, Queens in the aftermath of Sandy:
Panoramic view of Breezy Point destruction after Hurricane Sandy fire and flood - PhotoBlog

A flickr feed of Rockaway beach:
Flickr: Pam_Andrade's Photostream

Unfortunately Queens is far from returning to normal.

Regards,
Frank
Frank,

I'm sorry for your trials.

I didn't mean to be insensitive. I am just grateful. People I work with are sleeping on the floor of their offices and my friend found a FISH in what's left of her grandmom's sofa!

I know the devastation is far reaching and no joke and I feel for those who lost so much in the storm. It was kind of surreal to be going to work in the midst of all of this.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

I will try to change the title of the thread out of respect for the harder hit areas.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Frank,

I'm sorry for your trials.

I didn't mean to be insensitive. I am just grateful. People I work with are sleeping on the floor of their offices and my friend found a FISH in what's left of her grandmom's sofa!

I know the devastation is far reaching and no joke and I feel for those who lost so much in the storm. It was kind of surreal to be going to work in the midst of all of this.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

I will try to change the title of the thread out of respect for the harder hit areas.
It's all good. I think that some people in other parts of Queens might not realize how bad off some of Queens actually is. As it is, it's difficult to get information so some people might not be aware.

I'm grateful that other neighborhoods escaped this because the system is stretched so thin that if all of Queens was hit this hard, it would take a very long time to get everything back. Staten Island is in pretty bad condition too at the moment. Probably even worse than Queens, so I'm even grateful I'm not in their position.

I didn't mean to come off self-righteous or anything - I was just trying to point out the condition of other parts of Queens but it does sound a bit like a rant which really wasn't what I meant.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Head

Astoria long island city here. All good.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I didn't mean to come off self-righteous or anything - I was just trying to point out the condition of other parts of Queens but it does sound a bit like a rant which really wasn't what I meant.

Thanks,
Frank
No worries man. I'm in Astoria and I know we got away sooooo easily compared to other parts. We were really really "lucky".

And I truly feel for other New Yorkers who were affected.
Old 2nd November 2012
The miracle of text based communication...

Most of my friends are in Brooklyn.

I know that Coney Island was hit very hard and red hook had 5-6 feet of water. Hope they get you up and running again soon. The modular is ok right? .
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm in LIC/Astoria too and things are fine here - no damage or loss of power. My heart goes out to those who got hit hard though - I feel very lucky to be spared.
-Mike
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I'm in LIC/Astoria too and things are fine here - no damage or loss of power. My heart goes out to those who got hit hard though - I feel very lucky to be spared.
-Mike
Hey Guys,

Its interesting because I grew up in Greenpoint where my parents still reside. My brother just renovated his new house in Old Howard Beach a month ago and I live in Bergen Beach (southeast Brooklyn).

My brother`s house was completely flooded. All the work he did was lost. My entire first floor of my house was also destroyed: tenant`s apartment, washer/dryer, 2 water heaters, 2 boilers, my studio.

Now my parents were completely untouched. They never lost power, no flooding, no downed trees, etc... They have yet to see the damage in my house or my brothers. A lot of people in the Northern end of Brooklyn and Queens have absolutely no clue how bad this storm was and the havoc it has created. The only thing that is affecting most people is the gas situation. I had to move in with my in laws for a couple of nights because we could see our breath in our house. We lost power, got it back, then lost it again. It finally came back on Thursday.

There are parts of Queens and LI that will not get power till December! It`s insane. We`re in a city with millions of people all living within 10 feet of each other, its very tight, its very uncomfortable when everything is working. The stress level is very high and its draining.

For many residents in the Northern parts of our boroughs, they lucked out and really have no clue how bad things are. Not calling anyone insensitive but they really have no idea of the hardships going on.
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Nut

Ernest:
I'm here for you. Anything you need.
peace

Steve La Cerra
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northamusi View Post
Ernest:
I'm here for you. Anything you need.
peace

Steve La Cerra
Thanks Woody. You`ve been by my side for 13 years now already. Can`t do what I do without you.

Peace brother,
EB
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search