The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flood Cleaning
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Nut

Flood Cleaning

Well now that sandbags are past useful it important to know how to clean things.

All carpets that were flooded must be ripped up and thrown out.
All bedding that was wet must be either dry cleaned or in the case of mattresses thrown out.
Children's toys particularly soft ones, need to be destroyed or dry cleaned very professionally. The worries are the fact that flood waters have brought sewage to the surface and thinly spread it around everywhere... Flood waters are filth, I live next to a cemetery with crypts and it flooded once and aside from all the sewage from the area about forty bodies were floating around the place, some very old and some not so old... So... Just wash everything...

Also, great disinfectants are the condensed citric cleaners which act to thin oils and just destroy everything with acid, also bio degradable and safe enough in small amounts to be put into the water table...

Affected electronics should be sorted into piles with memory and without and those with memory like HDDs or internal WWRAM should be placed in desiccants and allowed to dry slowly in a controlled way if you want your data back.

Buy a ton of rice, it's a great way of absorbing moisture and if you have wooden floors putting an inch of rice down of sodden flooring can help bring it up in a way which wont bend to many boards... It depends on temperatures.
You can also put electronics in rice to absorb water. A mobile phone placed in a bag of warm uncooked rice will usually come back to life after a swim... Not always though.

Anyways, I hope everyone is safe and healthy and that only stuff and not people were lost or hurt.

Please, also, when you think it's time to take a break from cleaning and fixing your own **** and have a rest, don't. Walk outside and down the road and give a neighbour a couple of hours free help. It's times like this, when whole communities suffer together that getting out and helping someone else is the most important. Lot's of people can't deal with the shock of losing possessions and need help just to calmly piece back together a normal life. Help your neighbours and they will help you.

Here's hoping for some sunshine.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Cheers to that. Hope all turns out well up there. Hurricanes ain't that fun when ur place gets damaged.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 1st November 2012
Serious stuff,and truly excellent advice,most of which I never heard before,good luck,and best Regards.
RK
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Good advice...also, if any electronics were flooded, you can rinse them with distilled water before drying to get the sediment and such from the flood water out. Works for spilled beer in a console too...

Stay safe everyone...
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Good advice...also, if any electronics were flooded, you can rinse them with distilled water before drying to get the sediment and such from the flood water out. Works for spilled beer in a console too...

Stay safe everyone...
Good call. Spirits are good too because they attract water so you can flush away dirt, dust and water with spirits which will then evaporate.

It's more important to remember to not try plugging in anything until it's properly cleaned and dried. Putting current into wet and dirty electronics is a great way to really ruin something.

Again, I hope everyone is okay and that at the end of the day all that happens is you get some good stories to share.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search