The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Water damage here, but we were lucky!
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Water damage here, but we were lucky!

Here outside of DC, we got pounded with a day of 50-70mph wind and rain. The roof leaked into the studio due to the wind and rain blowing directly at the transition between two buildings where it went under the flashing.
I had to move a bunch of equipment, and set up trash cans to catch the water and emptied them throughout the night. Normally, I would have been stressed and pretty pissed, but after seeing portions of Atlantic City (where I spent my summers as a kid), Ocean City MD/NJ, and NYC under several feet of water, I really considered ourselves lucky!
Maybe $500 tops to rip out and replace some drywall and insulation, as well as sure up the roof flashing, all of which I can do myself once the rain stops. All in all, I think we were quite lucky!

Hope everyone is safe!
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Hi Joe!

Thanks for the wishes. We got hammered here in NYC but doing ok. I have no power and best estimates are saying 6-10 days until power is restored.

I'm near the water but my girlfriend, who is 5 minutes away in Howard Beach, the next neighborhood, is on the water. H er neighborhood was decimated and was considered a disaster area. The fema people are all over here. Good thing is that she owns a condo on the second floor so her place is fine but sadly many people here had their homes destroyed so both of us are very grateful.

Strangely even though her neighborhood was ravaged, she still has power so I'm crashing here. My neighborhood is ok but there's no power.

Crazy stuff...Jamaica bay rose about 6 feet in Howard beach, flooding the streets and sending people's cars through bus shelters.

Manhattan is in rough shape also with the subways flooded. Not sure when the can restore service but they're gonna try in bits and pieces.

It's rough but we'll keep on trucking!

Thanks for the wishes,
Frank
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Here outside of DC, we got pounded with a day of 50-70mph wind and rain. The roof leaked into the studio due to the wind and rain blowing directly at the transition between two buildings where it went under the flashing.
I had to move a bunch of equipment, and set up trash cans to catch the water and emptied them throughout the night. Normally, I would have been stressed and pretty pissed, but after seeing portions of Atlantic City (where I spent my summers as a kid), Ocean City MD/NJ, and NYC under several feet of water, I really considered ourselves lucky!
Maybe $500 tops to rip out and replace some drywall and insulation, as well as sure up the roof flashing, all of which I can do myself once the rain stops. All in all, I think we were quite lucky!

Hope everyone is safe!
You better re floor, walls and everything or you will end up with mold.
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Frank,

As news trickles in, it looks like you folks in NYC really got slammed. Downtown looks like something out of an "end of days" movie. Haven't heard from my Aunt yet...she's mid town on the east side. It sucks that even cell service is out in a lot of places. Looks like this is going to be a long term event...perhaps months before things are back to normal. Still planning to come up to Manhattan in December though. Nothing like NYC at xmas.

Stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Hi Joe!

Thanks for the wishes. We got hammered here in NYC but doing ok. I have no power and best estimates are saying 6-10 days until power is restored.

I'm near the water but my girlfriend, who is 5 minutes away in Howard Beach, the next neighborhood, is on the water. H er neighborhood was decimated and was considered a disaster area. The fema people are all over here. Good thing is that she owns a condo on the second floor so her place is fine but sadly many people here had their homes destroyed so both of us are very grateful.

Strangely even though her neighborhood was ravaged, she still has power so I'm crashing here. My neighborhood is ok but there's no power.

Crazy stuff...Jamaica bay rose about 6 feet in Howard beach, flooding the streets and sending people's cars through bus shelters.

Manhattan is in rough shape also with the subways flooded. Not sure when the can restore service but they're gonna try in bits and pieces.

It's rough but we'll keep on trucking!

Thanks for the wishes,
Frank
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Joe!

It might be a bit before you can reach your aunt reliably - around 30th street and below on the East side still has no power. Upper Manhattan does. The East river did a doozy on the East side!

As far as cell reception goes, Verizon got hit the hardest so anyone who has Verizon is having a very tough time receiving and making calls.

See you around Xmas! Hopefully they get all the water out before it freezes.

Thanks,
Frank
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search