The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Use this sub forum to share flood tips and shout out if you are OK
Old 30th October 2012
Use this sub forum to share flood tips and shout out if you are OK

Good luck to everyone in hurricane Sandy's path.
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Jules Thanks for starting this thread. It is good to know that you care about the GS users outside of the forum. I am just north of Washington, DC. Me and my family are good after the storm. We did not lose power. It flickered a few times throughout the night but came back on each time after about a minute or so. Lost some siding off the side of my house but the insurance should take care of that.

Most people closer to the shore got hit a lot harder than people in my area.
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quick tip. As soon as you are safely possible look all around your house inside and out to figure out all the damages. Take any pictures of the damages down and document them. Take at least one our two pictures displaying your street address in it. (Make sure your cameras date and time info are correct) Metadata is saved with photos nowadays and is important to insurance claims. Last report it to your insurance company asap.

Be safe everyone.
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Good luck to everyone in hurricane Sandy's path.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

1. Document Damage
2 . Contact your insurance Co, landlord, Mortgage Co.
3 Be careful in water, this stuff is toxic.
4 pictures pictures.
5 check with FEMA they can help.
6 remember anything thats not covered by your insurance is a loss on your taxes so document everything!

Good luck guys This looks as bad as Ike in some ways as bad as Katrina!
as one of my old neighbors put it" always wanted a Sportfishing boat but not where my porch should be"
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Addict

Just shouting out to say all is relatively well down here in SE VA.

Winds finally died down a few hours ago. Much to my surprise I only lost power for a couple of hours yesterday. Utilities were actually on top of things this time around, usually power is out for days to weeks for us. Some minor damage to my property which was to be expected, nothing critical though.

We avoided a direct hit this time, but we were still dealing with heavy flooding since Saturday. The winds turned yesterday as the storm moved inland and finally blew all the water out of the bay. I have begun hearing from family members in NJ and NY, they got it worse than us and are not as used to dealing with hurricanes as we are. But so far everyone is alright.

I don't have much advice to add, as the time for preparedness is long gone. But I will say please everyone look out for your neighbors and community in this aftermath period. Events like this bring out the best and worst in people, I have experienced it many times by now. Be safe everyone.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

I know NYC and the jersey coast got pummeled. I've been out of power since 6pm yesterday. My thoughts and prayers got out to those who have lost a great deal during this hurricane
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

I live right near seaside hights and it is a diisaster. I own a house that was under 4ft of water but everyone is ok. Just got power back (amazingly) to the area I'm at but there are about 2 million people still in the dark.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Just got back power Saturday morning and when it passed Jamaica last week Wednesday it wasn't even a hurricane, had a little flooding but nothing too serious, there was A LOT of rain and wind however and power was out for a bit and came back in a very weird way.

Came back for about 5 mins then went away again then later the following evening it came back a streets down the road from mine and didn't come back for us till about 8 Saturday morning. Was very aggravating seeing people a stone throw down the road with power while we sat in darkness.

Best of luck in coping with the events and hope it doesn't have too adverse an effect if any at all on the GS members, stay safe and you are in our prayers.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Im in odenton Maryland. power just came back on several hours ago. been out since around 9pm last nite. luckily all the laptops and phones in the house were charged so we could stay connected. No damage here thank GOD!! it was tough for my wife cause she's a tech-head but she made it by the skin of her teeth!!
Old 31st October 2012
I'm in Indiana and its pretty crazy even here with winds. I'm not a conspiracist at all... But is it crazy to think of HAARP when I think of Frankenstorm?
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

I actually just moved back to nyc just 2 weeks ago, so it was quite a welcome back for me, lol. Luckily, I am in Uptown/Harlem/Washington Heights, where it is pretty high elevation area, so no flooding; Me, my apt and my small studio and gear are all ok. I can't imagine being in and moving to a flooded/evacuated area just recently and my first weeks back, that woulda been hell and woulda put a lot more stress on me. Thank god my hood is nice and safe.

Walked around the parks and my hood yesterday; surprised there was a big uprooted tree on a car, on the next street north of me on my direct block (I can actually hear the chainsaws now, as they try to chop it up and remove it). Walked around more and found more uprooted trees, big trees, around the streets and cemeteries. Some big, beefy, super sturdy cement and thick wrought iron fences around the parks that'd been there for 100 years are now cracked, broken and twisted metal...and I'm talkin medieval, 1-2" thick, solid, iron. Went to riverside park/greenway, and saw a bbq grill stuck up in the trees. That's what I've seen so far. But, the busses are now running again; so I will trek to lower manhattan and see more extent of the damage and take pics and video.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

I'm in Greenwich Village (west village) and we were hit pretty badly. No power, no cell service, no landline. Tremendous flooding - surpassed the previous record high water mark from the 1960s by about 8 feet. Fortunately no damage to my building, though the floodwater came within about 100 yards of it.

Could be a week or two before power is restored AIUI.

Doubt the subways will be running before December. Many lines were completely flooded with salt water, and some stations were also completely flooded.

Here's a video of the Con Edison power station at 14th st and Ave D blowing up, as seen looking west from Brooklyn, the reason why there's no power south of 24th st: - Sandy_ConEd Explosion - YouTube
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Everything is good here.

Had to pick up a few friends from the Lower East side who had no power and no hot water. Driving through lower Manhattan at night with no lights anywhere was really creepy, really cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Here's a video of the Con Edison power station at 14th st and Ave D blowing up, as seen looking west from Brooklyn, the reason why there's no power south of 24th st: - Sandy_ConEd Explosion - YouTube
I have a substation near my house next to Greenwood Cemetery. Part of it lit up like sparkler for about 5 minutes. I tried to get video, but by the time I got off the phone with 911 there was a huge explosion and it went out. Pretty wild.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Wow! Just watched the ConEd video. They said it blew up but I was thinking it was more like a big pop. That looks pretty spectacular, wouldn't want to be near it...
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Guru

I am in SC 250 miles from the shore, the winds here Monday and Tuesday were horrible, that was a huge MF.....
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

I live in the Philly burbs. Just got power back this evening. My best gear purchase this year was the generator I bought Monday morning which kept my sump pump, fridge, lights, and some electronics going. Many in my area still without power.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Maniac

Ok here in Rockland county, ny. Been without power since Monday evening and the power company says it could take up to ten days to restore. We have downed trees/power lines everywhere. Could have been much worse though. The jersey shore got destroyed.
Old 1st November 2012
some links:

ConEd reports the majority of customers will not have power back until wknd of Nov 10-11
ConEd: 10 Days For Hundreds Of Thousands Of Blacked-Out New Yorkers To Get Power Back - Forbes

damage info by state
Hurricane Sandy live text report | Recent Natural Disasters

Update November 1, 2012
Now total death toll is 137. The U.S. death toll from Superstorm Sandy has risen to at least 68. That includes at least 34 in New York and 12 in New Jersey. Two deaths have been reported in Canada and 67 in the Caribbean.

This numbner is expected to rise as power & communications are restored.

NASA Analysis of the storm system
NASA - Hurricane Sandy (Atlantic Ocean)

sorting real & fake photos
Sorting the Real Sandy Photos From the Fakes - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic

Staten Island report
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Wow. Hope all my East Coasters are up back to normal real soon so we can collab.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

All good here...

windows were crackling...I had to put up some towels to gather the water from the leaky windows...The gear lives...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search