The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Picard on CBS All Access.
Old 31st January 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Picard on CBS All Access.

I have recently watched the first two episodes of the CBS show Picard and wondered what you folks thought of it.

My Random no particular order thoughts:

The Opening Credits are excellent as is the soundtrack behind it - Is anyone here attached to it?

Patrick Stewart is old and looking and sounding like it - but he's still got a viable style and doesn't shy away from his age nor use GUI tricks to take it away.

Patrick Stewart produces and helps write the show which adds a little 'something' into the mix but I have no idea what that is beyond just recognizing there is an elemental philosophy to the writing and directing.

Although I have enjoyed the first two episodes I think I'm watching Matlock and Murder She Wrote in Space. And all of the supporting cast are unusual looking and mostly of Picards era.

Starfleet is an antagonist which is unusual - and they've have abandoned the original (Or at least TNGs) principle in favor of an odder non Federation type philosophy.

The Graphics are very well done - the theming is darker - there is more blood and violence than I've ever seen in a Star Trek property - and there is a modicum of swearing which stands out like a sore thumb given the legacy of Roddenberry.
Old 31st January 2020
  #2
I'm looking forward to watching the series, but it'll have to wait until I sign up to the CBS subscription.

In the meantime, I've been watching Star Trek the Next Generation series which I thoroughly relish. It will be nice to see Patrick Stewart return to his old stompin' grounds!
Old 1st February 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
Wow I thought this was just a movie not an entire series. Sorry this doesn't appeal to me at all and the trailers looked poor, similar to how the TNG movies were generally poor IMO (and most ST movies really). I can't stand it when something is milked that should have been left alone like that. I suspect it will not last long and only lasts at all because of all the Trekkies who will watch anything ST. I could be wrong and hope it's good but going to pass. To each their own.

I just finished re-watching the Voyager series which I liked despite its flaws. Kate Mulgrew has such a great smile. Shame she got fat.
Old 1st February 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Wow I thought this was just a movie not an entire series. Sorry this doesn't appeal to me at all and the trailers looked poor, similar to how the TNG movies were generally poor IMO (and most ST movies really). I can't stand it when something is milked that should have been left alone like that. I suspect it will not last long and only lasts at all because of all the Trekkies who will watch anything ST. I could be wrong and hope it's good but going to pass. To each their own.

I just finished re-watching the Voyager series which I liked despite its flaws. Kate Mulgrew has such a great smile. Shame she got fat.
I also thought that Picard was a movie when it was first announced.

I have a lot of Star Trek related shows to catch up on including Voyager and Deep Space Nine.

Fun fun!
Old 1st February 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I can't stand it when something is milked that should have been left alone like that. I suspect it will not last long and only lasts at all because of all the Trekkies who will watch anything ST. I could be wrong and hope it's good but going to pass. To each their own.
The thing is this series isn't milking anything. The Federation is practically an antagonist in this series. And they address Picards hidden illness that turned up in the final TNG show in such a way that I think Stewart may be aware of something inside himself. Almost like they are going to run the series until he dies. As to not lasting long - Stewart is the primary producer and it doesn't appear that CBS has invested anything in the series.

Quote:
I just finished re-watching the Voyager series which I liked despite its flaws. Kate Mulgrew has such a great smile. Shame she got fat.
Well she is 66 years old - and doesn't seem to be bothered by her aging - so why are you being so nasty towards her?
Old 1st February 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I am disappointed to learn that the Picard series has a lot of action and violence. I much prefer the more cerebral plot lines. The action thing and special effects generally bore me. I do like Patrick Stewart but I'm not sure if I am going to watch this.
Old 1st February 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
The thing is this series isn't milking anything.
I hope you're right.

Quote:
Well she is 66 years old - and doesn't seem to be bothered by her aging - so why are you being so nasty towards her?
It was a joke. Why are you getting in a hypersensitive snit about such a minor comment? Is she your mother or something?
Old 1st February 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I am disappointed to learn that the Picard series has a lot of action and violence. I much prefer the more cerebral plot lines. The action thing and special effects generally bore me. I do like Patrick Stewart but I'm not sure if I am going to watch this.

I have to admit it was somewhat off putting to me. It's not going to prevent me from watching the series - but as I noted it did give me pause. I
Old 1st February 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I hope you're right.

It was a joke. Why are you getting in a hypersensitive snit about such a minor comment? Is she your mother or something?
It's not hypersensitive - I just think there is enough abuse in world that we shouldn't add to the noise. That and it doesn't come off like a joke when posted in the thread.
Old 1st February 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
It's not hypersensitive
Yeah, actually, it is. But I'm not surprised you can't see it, it so dominates our society now.
Old 1st February 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Yeah, actually, it is. But I'm not surprised you can't see it, it so dominates our society now.
Sorry but no it's not hypersensitive to call people you don't know fat as if their weight is something bad about them. The statement is typical of the problems we have in life these days - what with leadership who say ridiculous and despicable statements and no one reacts anymore.
Old 1st February 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I am just not into special effects, noisy soundtracks and action type movies. I do not mind violence when it is not gratuitous. For example the HBO series Rome had a lot of violence but it depicted the time accurately so the violence served the various storylines. I think a lot of action movies are built around the violence as that is what brings the "action" to the film. Maybe not always but more often than not. That stuff just does not interest me.

If I think about it, there probably is too much violence in television and movies - there is certainly too much voiolence in real life. We have come a long way technologically but we have not matured much as a species over the years - we are not really that far from where we were when gladiators were considered a good day of fun.

That all said, I'd like to see more energy put into cerebral storylines. Things like the BBC's "Worricker Trilogy" and I always preferred Start TNG when the plot used the Holodeck with Moraiarty for example as opposed to the "fire phasers" episodes.
Old 2nd February 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Papanate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I am just not into special effects, noisy soundtracks and action type movies. I do not mind violence when it is not gratuitous. For example the HBO series Rome had a lot of violence but it depicted the time accurately so the violence served the various storylines. I think a lot of action movies are built around the violence as that is what brings the "action" to the film. Maybe not always but more often than not. That stuff just does not interest me.

If I think about it, there probably is too much violence in television and movies - there is certainly too much voiolence in real life. We have come a long way technologically but we have not matured much as a species over the years - we are not really that far from where we were when gladiators were considered a good day of fun.

That all said, I'd like to see more energy put into cerebral storylines. Things like the BBC's "Worricker Trilogy" and I always preferred Start TNG when the plot used the Holodeck with Moraiarty for example as opposed to the "fire phasers" episodes.
I think Picard is very much in the same headspace as the TNG Moriarty shows. And to be honest the violence fit the story when it came - as the assassins were ultra violent types - with a history of extreme violence. I won't say who they are as that is quite surprising - or at least it was to me.

Last edited by Papanate; 2nd February 2020 at 09:39 PM..
Old 16th February 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Sorry but no it's not hypersensitive to call people you don't know fat as if their weight is something bad about them.
Correct. And thanks for stating the absurdly obvious.

It is however hypersensitive to get your panties in a bunch when someone jokingly takes a casual crack at a celebrity and you get in a whiny snit about it.

Quote:
The statement is typical of the problems we have in life these days - what with leadership who say ridiculous and despicable statements and no one reacts anymore.
Don't look now but you're reacting.

And thanks for complimenting me as "leadership" but really, I can't accept the title
Old 16th February 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Correct. And thanks for stating the absurdly obvious.

It is however hypersensitive to get your panties in a bunch when someone jokingly takes a casual crack at a celebrity and you get in a whiny snit about it.
The only person who seems upset is you, and still upset after two weeks? That’s what I call a long-term whiny snit.
Old 16th February 2020
  #16
I finally saw the first episode. I liked it.
Old 17th February 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 

The script is a bit lumpy and there are moments where the director isn't sure what the actors are supposed to be doing or behaving. It's like The Expanse in that respect. It's mostly good but tends to drop into clichéd, cardboard characters and scenes at the drop of a hat (then again, that was a issue on TNG years ago, so maybe it's just a symptom of raised expectations thanks to the many other subscription dramas that have appeared in the intervening years).

The theme music is all over the place. ST Discovery has this issue as well. It sounds like the composer was told to put in all these references to the previous scores and it all winds up as a bit of a mess.
Old 17th February 2020
  #18
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
I bought CBS Access to watch the series. I saw the first two episodes and honestly I don’t think I’ll continue. I like the story line. I like that Picard is old. I think the acting is stiff and awkward. Violence is appropriate for me. But it’s kind of ho him. Part of it might be that I never really watched STNG. And part might be that Cable like Netflix has really stepped up the production game. I don’t know. We’ll see.
Old 17th February 2020
  #19
I watched the first three episodes, but missed the fourth one. I guess I wasn't waiting impatiently to see it.

It's got a bit of the X-Files conspiracy theory stuff in it, which is very un-Trek like. Like has been said here, the characters seem stiff. The character who is the twin sister of Daj is pretty unbelievable, as is that Romulan hunk and the two people who are living at Jean-Luc's place. The robot that starts the rebellion on Mars was pretty good though in a minor role. Patrick Stewart is indeed looking older, but that's reasonable as Jean-Luc is retired.

That interview with the TV reporter in the first episode was silly.

To be honest I'd rather another year of the X-Files.
Old 17th February 2020
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I bought CBS Access to watch the series. I saw the first two episodes and honestly I don’t think I’ll continue. I like the story line. I like that Picard is old. I think the acting is stiff and awkward. Violence is appropriate for me. But it’s kind of ho him. Part of it might be that I never really watched STNG. And part might be that Cable like Netflix has really stepped up the production game. I don’t know. We’ll see.
CBS All Access has other great shows. I'm seriously considering getting it soon. It's a mecca for all things Star Trek.
Old 17th February 2020
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
I have recently watched the first two episodes of the CBS show Picard and wondered what you folks thought of it.

My Random no particular order thoughts:

The Opening Credits are excellent as is the soundtrack behind it - Is anyone here attached to it?

Patrick Stewart is old and looking and sounding like it - but he's still got a viable style and doesn't shy away from his age nor use GUI tricks to take it away.
I haven't seen the show yet (though I probably will, once all the episodes have aired), but as far as I know, Patrick Stewart doesn't have a "GUI". Has he had an upgrade since the Borg implants, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Although I have enjoyed the first two episodes I think I'm watching Matlock and Murder She Wrote in Space. And all of the supporting cast are unusual looking and mostly of Picards era.

The Graphics are very well done - the theming is darker - there is more blood and violence than I've ever seen in a Star Trek property - and there is a modicum of swearing which stands out like a sore thumb given the legacy of Roddenberry.
The Discovery series (which is also a "Star Trek" spin-off) went "dark", so this doesn't really surprise me. I just hope they're not being "edgy" or "dark" to compete (somehow) with Netflix or anything else. I'm certainly not against profanity (I often use it to punctuate my sentences!), but there's no need to add it when you can get by without it. Since this isn't a crime drama where they're dealing with "low-lifes", "scum" and other terms that sound almost ridiculous without profanity, there's no need to add it here. I agree with you that it would stick out, and I'm not really looking forward to that, especially if it's unnecessary.

Frankly, I like how they used "profanity" in Firefly. If you haven't seen it (you should!), they use made-up, Chinese-sounding words that also sound similar to profanity we use today.

Steve
Old 19th February 2020
  #22
Gear Head
 

Some of you are a hard audience.

I have watched a few episodes, and love it .....
Old 19th February 2020
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aomahana View Post
Some of you are a hard audience.

I have watched a few episodes, and love it .....
I finally scored a one year subscription to CBS All Access.

All I can say about Picard is that I'm really digging all the episodes!
Old 19th February 2020
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I finally scored a one year subscription to CBS All Access.

All I can say about Picard is that I'm really digging all the episodes!
Did you find a discount coupon or code somewhere?

Steve
Old 21st February 2020
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Did you find a discount coupon or code somewhere?

Steve
I did hunt for one and did not find one that worked. I called to complain because I thought I did not get the promised 15% off as promised when you sign up for a year. As it turned out I paid $99.00 USD for one year as opposed to the $119.88 I would have paid if I had chosen the pay by month option.

I opted for the no commercials version which costs a little more.
Old 21st February 2020
  #26
Gear Nut
Mixed feelings so far about the show. I don't feel this is the Picard of ST:TNG or movies although this takes place decades after the last movie so there should be some differences. Just seems to me that Stewart forgot the character.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #27
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
I'm all caught up now. Yeah. I like the story. I'm kind of hooked with reservations. It's one of those shows I watch when my wife is away. It's not a critical show for "us." I still think the acting is stilted. It seems like, especially with Picard, there's no rehearsal. It looked like they're just winging it. A read through. All the money went to CGI and technical production and not enough for rehearsal production. IDK. That's just my feel.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #28
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I'm all caught up now. Yeah. I like the story. I'm kind of hooked with reservations. It's one of those shows I watch when my wife is away. It's not a critical show for "us." I still think the acting is stilted. It seems like, especially with Picard, there's no rehearsal. It looked like they're just winging it. A read through. All the money went to CGI and technical production and not enough for rehearsal production. IDK. That's just my feel.
Yeah I can agree with all of that. Reminds me a bit of the first season of ST:TNG where the cast definitely wasn’t gelling and the acting was definitely stilted.
Old 22nd February 2020
  #29
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonekratz View Post
Mixed feelings so far about the show. I don't feel this is the Picard of ST:TNG or movies although this takes place decades after the last movie so there should be some differences. Just seems to me that Stewart forgot the character.
It can't be like TNG, they had to make it different because of some rights stuff. The whole "new trek" thing is supposedly caused by a legal situation.

Unfortunatelly it didn't change in a good way. Yes it has great production values, the sound/picture/effects are all superb. But the story/dialog/characters and overal philosophy... meh.

I really enjoy the Expanse, especially later seasons. Not that it's perfect, far from it. But it keeps me interested in what's going on and what is going to happen next. And the politics and people's agendas feel like they could make sense in their world. While new trek feels fake and like lazy writing.

This is of course very subjective, more so than any preamp shootout .


It's a good fuel for things like this, so it's all good I guess:

Old 22nd February 2020
  #30
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
It can't be like TNG, they had to make it different because of some rights stuff. The whole "new trek" thing is supposedly caused by a legal situation.

Unfortunatelly it didn't change in a good way. Yes it has great production values, the sound/picture/effects are all superb. But the story/dialog/characters and overal philosophy... meh.

I really enjoy the Expanse, especially later seasons. Not that it's perfect, far from it. But it keeps me interested in what's going on and what is going to happen next. And the politics and people's agendas feel like they could make sense in their world. While new trek feels fake and like lazy writing.
I didn't say it had to be like TNG and frankly don't want another TNG, we already had years and years of that. I said it feels like he forgot how to play Picard. Again, it is supposed to take place decades after the events of the last movie so there would be some difference in how he plays the character (at least I think there would be). But its the same actor playing the same character and it feels like he forgot what that character was.

As to The Expanse. Best Sci-Fi show ever in my opinion. The first half or so of season 1 was tough to get through but the show has been fantastic since then. Very enjoyable. Only show I think was in the same league was the Battlestar Galactica remake.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump