The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much non-Music media (TV, Films, Video Games, Books, ) do you consume on average?
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

How much non-Music media (TV, Films, Video Games, Books, ) do you consume on average?

Whether you're a kid at your parents and this is just a hobby, or you're a seasoned veteran, or anything in between, I'm curious about how much time folks spend consuming other types of Media.

For example:

I know some Musicians (or whatever term makes you comfortable, ha) who more or less never watch Television, rarely see any Movies, and beyond some music forum or maybe a gear manual they haven't read a Book in years.

Whether a matter of focus, or just personal preference, they're almost entirely caught up in all things Music and Music Production.

I know others who step in and out of Music and the rest like changing T-shirts, doing it all, almost daily, some Video Games in the afternoon, watching some trendy TV Show with their partner wach weel, whatever, they consume it all.

I'm mostly curious to see if there are any clear trends amongst the members here, and how you all think other types affect your Music making or not. Maybe the News is distracting or depressing. Maybe time is short and you must pick. Maybe focus relates to better output. Or maybe breaks equate to better output.

There are no wrong answers.

How do you split your time, and why, and how does that impact your Music making, if at all?
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Personally, I'm in the studio from about 8am and try to stay until at least 3pm (school pick up).

Occasionally, I'll drift into the living room for a coffee and a game of Fortnite, and also keep up to date with various series I watch - often whilst eating lunch (Walking Dead, Watchmen, South Park, etc. etc.).

Outside of that it's fair game to do whatever, but I certainly don't invest heavily in video games any more. I've got Witcher 3 unplayed, and the last two games I really invested time in were Last of Us, and then Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Though the latter was often on trains and planes, which was useful.

When it comes to video games, I generally play older games for relaxation, but they have to be games you can pick up and put down relatively quickly (Bubble Bobble, Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami get a lot of twenty minute bursts).

On an evening, I mess around with synths and occasionally spend time with other musicians, etc. Also make sure I get time with the other half (who is asleep on the sofa at 10pm as I type this!!! )

The most important for me is studio time is studio time, and nothing distracts from that.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

To "consume media" is an unfortunate turn of phrase that reminds me of junk food.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Addict

It’s pretty weird to me if a person who wants to be an artist doesn’t check out other art. Film, literature, visual art, performance art, dance, etc are all things I like to experience as much as possible. And I do so all the time.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
It’s pretty weird to me if a person who wants to be an artist doesn’t check out other art. Film, literature, visual art, performance art, dance, etc are all things I like to experience as much as possible. And I do so all the time.
As do I.

More to the point of my question, though, is it 10% compared to 90% of your time spent on Music, or more half and half, etc, and how do you think it averages out on a yearly basis for you personally?

I probably end up around 70/30, myself, I think, and very much enjoy and need the variety and variety of potentially inspirational chocies.
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
As do I.

More to the point of my question, though, is it 10% compared to 90% of your time spent on Music, or more half and half, etc, and how do you think it averages out on a yearly basis for you personally?

I probably end up around 70/30, myself, I think, and very much enjoy and need the variety and variety of potentially inspirational chocies.
I mean I tend to work on music in tight little bursts of intense work, especially when I’m being very productive. I was working very heavily for like five years in a row and as such have been a lot more random ever since, trying to mix it up more. But it’s also hard to separate music out... like a lot of my music listening time is when I am driving in my car. That is time that wouldn’t be spend elsewhere. But also sometimes I just go with silence. And then there’s listening to new music in order to decide what to DJ with. And then there’s time in the record store digging and listening.

So yeah even if it’s not directly working on original music I spend a lot of time with music. But then I’ll watch some tv with the family at night. Maybe a movie after they go to bed. Reading whenever. Going to performances whenever. Going to museums and art shows whenever possible. I can’t really say what the ratio is.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Reading. I forgot to add I'm am avid reader.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

I used to read thousands of books when I was younger but nowadays it's very difficult to concentrate on passive activities like reading or watching. I want to create stuff, not just consume! And music is my creative outlet, alongside some writing. Movies and especially TV are almost non existent in my life, as I find them extremely boring and time consuming.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

of recent.

tv shows: watched a couple of (old but new to me) Fringe,Orphan Black i got into those quite a bit i think it's known as "binge watching" & i like a bit of murdoch mysteries.

video games: recently played thimbleweed park (16h)

Books: just read this Pyramid force which is a strange notion about the pyramids and gravitons to the earths core, book before that was nile rogers. and going to get that new prince one.

news: i keep up on current news via twitter.

Other than that, i consume a lot of (not new, but new to me) music on vinyl, ill have a mix (records & turntables) on a weekend with a few beers (6-8h)

and i go to work monday to friday wiring up telephony & broadband.

fart around with synths and stuff on weekends through the day... sometimes.

Last edited by Preston135; 8th November 2019 at 02:44 PM..
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
news: i keep up on current news via twitter.
This is the important one. News from social media. We now select the news, the entertainment shows and documentaries and ignore anything else. People are less accepting broadcast media which stops the media pushing an agenda.
Old 11th November 2019
< nice thread topic but I'm going to move this >
Old 11th November 2019
Lives for gear

I don't have television or radio.
I read books occasionally, watch about 3-5 movies a year, last time yesterday but I stopped watching near the end
got to bored with it, and I watch other random stuff on youtube once or a couple of times per week.
All in all I don't listen to music much, for the most part I listen my own music...
Old 11th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< nice thread topic but I'm going to move this >
Oh no. I hoped to circle back and draw parallels with production techniques.
Old 22nd November 2019
Lives for gear
I'm no professional musician to say the least and as much as I love music, it doesn't and doubtful ever will dominate my life as it does many of them, so not sure if an answer from that angle is what you're after, but......I watch almost no TV and haven't for a long time as most of it is IMO utter crap. I quit cable long ago. Making that even easier was how they spew all this advertising garbage on the screen WHILE THE PROGRAM IS PLAYING. So distracting and obnoxious, it made even good shows unwatchable. I basically said good-bye to TV after that.

The occasional movie or documentary on Netflix is about it, along with the occasional non-Netflix movie. I don't read much either (i.e. novels or non-fiction books) but unlike the other stuff that bothers me. I try but as I get older I just don't have the patience. I catch up on news via the net and read other things similarly (maybe I'm researching gear, maybe I'm researching something medical or financial, or maybe it's just something fun like sports or whatever...listen to online radio and/or my own music typically at least an hour or two at night while I'm surfing (so sometimes I'm not really listening as much as others).
Old 22nd November 2019
Gear Guru

I cycle around between different forms of entertainment, but when I'm away from work, I usually try to commit most of my non-working time to something creative (usually music or writing.) Outside of this, I do allot myself about an hour or two a night to decompress before going to bed. What that activity is depends on my mood. Honestly, it's mostly watching TV shows/movies, but for the past few months, I've been trying to get away from doing that as much because as fun as it is, it really is mindless entertainment. I'll make exceptions every now and then when there's something I really want to watch, but I mostly try to read as much as I can. Of course being a slow reader, I don't read nearly as much as I want to, so ultimately? Lately I've been filling in the time with YouTube videos where somebody reads off interesting Reddit posts. I think this is kind of educational, but probably isn't at all. After my vacation, I'll crack down on the YouTube viewing and get back to reading more. I used to love video games, but as somebody that enjoys single player games with good stories, games have become a lot more involving than they used to be. Like when I got into Elder Scrolls, playing Oblivion was pretty much a committment of playing seven days a week for at least four hours a time so that I could finish the game in a few weeks and move on to Skyrim. I miss gaming, but I just can't bring myself to commit that kind of time anymore.

At the very least, I do restrict my social media consumption. I've caught myself mindlessly scrolling a lot of times, and there is nothing gained from that behavior at all. I still have to remain active on social media because of music and books and stuff, but I usually try to wh*re my wares for a couple weeks, and then try to get banned for a month or two. I hate to admit it, but with my lack of impulse control, that's the only way I can disconnect from FaceBurg.

TL;DR: About an hour or two every night.
Old 22nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Video games - I am not a gamer, but last year and the year before that I played a few story based games like Firewatch, Virgina or Life Is Strange.

Enjoyed these but generally it's not my thing, also I find it hard not to play a game from start to end in one long session.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search