The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The X-Files
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

The X-Files

Clicked on this on Hulu by accident. First time seeing it since the 90s. 7 episodes in and amazed at how well it holds up. Wasn't expecting it at all!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this show in 2019?
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Didn't watch the whole last season, but definitely it's one of the all time favorite of mine. I grew up with Mulder and Scully. Love it. Beside that it's conspiracy theory/alien/sci fi show it has a lot of humor as well, and the chemistry between characters (Mulder and Scully, Cancer Man, Skinner) is incredible.
Old 2nd September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
7 episodes in and amazed at how well it holds up.
Season 1?

X-Files is easily my favourite show of all time. I like weird stuff .

The alien conspiracy stuff could get a bit tiring, but some were good. The overall plot line of the series was good.

Of course, the Monster Of The Week episodes were my favourite. Tooms was one of my faves, and he was in two episodes! The fat-sucking vampire, the half man/half insect one, the circus freak one, and many more were good too. Lots of great characters within the series- Skinner, CSM, the Lone Gunmen, Agent Spender, Krycek, and many more.

But my favourite all-time episode was "Home" with the Peacocks. Creepy as heck, and the music really made it. The music was key for the whole series.

The religious-themed ones were good too.

As for the latest two "new" seasons, they was great too. Their son was part of the plot, and that last episode was epic! That episode where everything was automated was really interesting- there was no talking at all until the end.

And as I mentioned in another post, here's an intersection in my town:

Old 2nd September 2019
I enjoyed it. I still need to add the latest seasons to my collection. I have all their older stuff on Blu-Ray. Gotta love the X-Files!
Old 2nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Season 1?

X-Files is easily my favourite show of all time. I like weird stuff .

The alien conspiracy stuff could get a bit tiring, but some were good. The overall plot line of the series was good.

Of course, the Monster Of The Week episodes were my favourite. Tooms was one of my faves, and he was in two episodes! The fat-sucking vampire, the half man/half insect one, the circus freak one, and many more were good too. Lots of great characters within the series- Skinner, CSM, the Lone Gunmen, Agent Spender, Krycek, and many more.

But my favourite all-time episode was "Home" with the Peacocks. Creepy as heck, and the music really made it. The music was key for the whole series.

The religious-themed ones were good too.

As for the latest two "new" seasons, they was great too. Their son was part of the plot, and that last episode was epic! That episode where everything was automated was really interesting- there was no talking at all until the end.

And as I mentioned in another post, here's an intersection in my town:

Yeah Season 1. Mostly MOTW episodes so far. Really good stuff.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Guru

I gave it a rewatch a couple years ago, but I petered out at season 5. The procedural aspect started to get on my nerves.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear
Entire series on blu-ray here
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I gave it a rewatch a couple years ago, but I petered out at season 5. The procedural aspect started to get on my nerves.
I think most neutrals would say that after season 5 is when it really dipped. That's certainly when I dropped off.
Old 3rd September 2019
Some of the episodes are just hilarious, I laughed real hard hard, specially the ones that are heavy laden with satire such as the monster episodes.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Some of the episodes are just hilarious, I laughed real hard hard, specially the ones that are heavy laden with satire such as the monster episodes.
Yeah, not gonna lie, I loved the cockroach episode and that one where the story was being retold by a playwright.
Old 3rd September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Clicked on this on Hulu by accident. First time seeing it since the 90s. 7 episodes in and amazed at how well it holds up. Wasn't expecting it at all!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this show in 2019?
I have been watching the series over the last few weeks/months. So far, I'm up to season 8 or 9. Mind you, there are some movies that exist in the timeline as well.

It's REALLY well done. Seasons 2-3-4-5 are the best by far. I think that this show helped change television and change how we digest thick plot lines as consumers. The use of light is excellent.

I had forgotten about the tech from back then... it's amazing to see it all.
Old 3rd September 2019
Deleted 5cc4b50
Started rewatching a few months ago, on and off mostly, and just so happened to watch a few last night. Love the episodes with Krycek, only because every time he pops up, or when I think he is about to be in a scene/behind something, I say "motherf*cking Krycek." That being said, the episodes that don't move the conspiracy/alien storyline forward are my favorites, although I am interested in aliens and that sort of thing outside the realms of fiction.

I really like the satanist ones, ya know cause BLACK MASS and all, which I find hilarious. The Eugene Tooms episodes (Squeeze/Tooms) are excellent as well, just great sci-fi writing.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

X-Files are still alive...trust me...or no one...
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
X-Files are still alive...trust me...or no one...
Old 4th September 2019
Deleted 5cc4b50
I think the real question is, who was the better FBI man Mulder or Agent Dale Cooper?
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5cc4b50 View Post
I think the real question is, who was the better FBI man Mulder or Agent Dale Cooper?
It's probably the same concept as to which is the better James Bond. It really depends on the eyes of the beholder.
Old 4th September 2019
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
It's probably the same concept as to which is the better James Bond. It really depends on the eyes of the beholder.
Completely disagree.

James Bond is a leviathan, in the way Hobbes used the word, in that the character is made up of all the different performances/approaches of the all actors.

Mulder and Cooper are very different characters that both approach their investigative work from unusual perspectives and at times with equally unusual methods. I couldn't imagine anyone besides Dochovny and MacLachlan playing those roles.

Plus I don't really care for Bond flicks, so there is that.
Old 4th September 2019

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search