The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stranger Things S3 sucks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Stranger Things S3 sucks

Ok so I finished Season 3 of Stranger Things. *Spoiler Warning*. Also if you don't like grumpy posts then maybe stop reading now.

- Stranger Things S1 was amazing, loved it. 5/5
- S2 was decent but meh. 3/5
- S3 was just not enjoyable anymore. 2.5/5 (relative to S1)

My biggest problem is that they lost the spirit of the original. Watch a couple of episodes of Season 1 and you'll see what I mean.

- The scary concept of Season 1's "upside down" parallel dimension should have been delved deeper into, instead of thrown aside for pure monster/zombie thrills. What made Stranger Things unsettling was the merging of the real world with that of a nightmare. This concept was also largely ignored in S2.

- Season 1 had far less forced comic relief. The comic moments were natural and were an exercise in quality over quantity. Even when some comic moments were funny, they were stretched several seconds too long (just in case you didn't know you were supposed to laugh).

- Season 1 had far less forced bickering between characters. Every scene has the characters needlessly yelling at eachother. Also consider that these people have been through quite a lot together in S1 and 2 so they should be more mellow and trustworthy of each-other in general.

- Why change the characters personality? Hopper was my favourite character before. He was the rock, the reliable dude that got **** done... and now they just made him a whiny insecure child in S3 (again, in the name of constant comic relief).

- Why the Russians? Felt really odd and contrived... maybe they were trying to bring up the cold war villains of the 80's? Either way I thought it added nothing to the story.

- I appreciate the references to 80's classics like BTTF and The Neverending Story, but they beat the viewer violently over the head with them instead of just giving them the respectful nod (especially The Neverending Story singing part was just pure cringe).

- Even when **** is out of control it still feels like a game, where the evil monsters gives the good guys a chance to chill, regroup, have some fun and try to deal with their personal stuff before the danger comes back again.

Definitely skipping Season 4 of this one, there are too many other good shows to waste time on this one anymore.

Love,

Amro
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I refuse to watch past S01 because I LOVED it, and want to cherish it.
Old 3 weeks ago
When watching S3, it's best to keep in mind that the writers--and Netflix--never expected to go beyond the first season. The writers/developers admitted that. The story line simply didn't allow for another season. I mean, seriously, what the hell are the odds that the same weird stuff is going to keep happening to the same small group of people--people the rest of the town doesn't take seriously when they talk about...well, "stranger things" going on in their neighborhood?!

I lumbered through S3, wondering why certain plot or dialogue points were the way they were, but eventually just decided to give in because hell, it's not like there's much else to watch as a "series", especially considering we've seen all the "big" ones.

At times, S3 seemed a bit too full of itself, and was more focused on the "Hey, it's 1985!" and, "Hey, we built a mall and it has a food court and a Burger King and JC Penney and everything!" and, "Hey, watch us drink NEW COKE!".

(Fun fact: More people drank "New Coke" in S3 than in all of 1985. I was there. I had one. One.)

But if you make it to the end, it's actually alright. Maybe even better than you expected. No, it's not quite as innovative and different as S1 was, but it ain't too bad. (Just don't watch the S1 & S2 recap. All that does is show how much better those seasons were.)

To me, S3 is on par with The Goonies or stuff like that. S2 is more or less "forgotten", and not really referenced much. To wit: What happened to the people who had the same kinds of powers as El?

As a way to kill 12 or so hours, the series is alright. It's not something you'll watch twice (probably), but you could do worse than to watch it once.

Steve
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
When watching S3, it's best to keep in mind that the writers--and Netflix--never expected to go beyond the first season. The writers/developers admitted that. The story line simply didn't allow for another season. I mean, seriously, what the hell are the odds that the same weird stuff is going to keep happening to the same small group of people--people the rest of the town doesn't take seriously when they talk about...well, "stranger things" going on in their neighborhood?!
Indeed. Something that wasn't addressed was with how big the monster was, how many people from the town had to die to liquefy into that massive thing? Wouldn't every family have lost a member or 2?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Those kids probably all have diabetes now because of how much Coke they drank. You can tell Coca-Cola dropped a **** ton of money on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
I refuse to watch past S01 because I LOVED it, and want to cherish it.
I did that with Saw. The first Saw movie is incredible. That they made a whole franchise of it is a slap in the face to the genius of that movie. It negates the ending to have it continue.

I should have done that with Stranger Things, but I got greedy and wanted more. The first series is absolutely horrifying. It gave me nightmares and other sleep disturbances. I had a bad feeling when they announced the second season because its very existence took away from how unsettling the ending was. Season three was better than season two at least, but that's really not saying much.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stranger Things is not a through-story with some explanation behind it all. If you accept that and that each season is intentionally based on a different set of 70s/80s horror tropes with no attempt at carry-over/consistency from season to season, you might enjoy S2 and S3 more?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Indeed. Something that wasn't addressed was with how big the monster was, how many people from the town had to die to liquefy into that massive thing? Wouldn't every family have lost a member or 2?
Classic horror trope right there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

S3 is basically Sponsored Things
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowillbebach View Post
S3 is basically Sponsored Things
/thread
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Ok so I finished Season 3 of Stranger Things. *Spoiler Warning*. Also if you don't like grumpy posts then maybe stop reading now.

- Stranger Things S1 was amazing, loved it. 5/5
- S2 was decent but meh. 3/5
- S3 was just not enjoyable anymore. 2.5/5 (relative to S1)

My biggest problem is that they lost the spirit of the original. Watch a couple of episodes of Season 1 and you'll see what I mean.

- The scary concept of Season 1's "upside down" parallel dimension should have been delved deeper into, instead of thrown aside for pure monster/zombie thrills. What made Stranger Things unsettling was the merging of the real world with that of a nightmare. This concept was also largely ignored in S2.

- Season 1 had far less forced comic relief. The comic moments were natural and were an exercise in quality over quantity. Even when some comic moments were funny, they were stretched several seconds too long (just in case you didn't know you were supposed to laugh).

- Season 1 had far less forced bickering between characters. Every scene has the characters needlessly yelling at eachother. Also consider that these people have been through quite a lot together in S1 and 2 so they should be more mellow and trustworthy of each-other in general.

- Why change the characters personality? Hopper was my favourite character before. He was the rock, the reliable dude that got **** done... and now they just made him a whiny insecure child in S3 (again, in the name of constant comic relief).

- Why the Russians? Felt really odd and contrived... maybe they were trying to bring up the cold war villains of the 80's? Either way I thought it added nothing to the story.

- I appreciate the references to 80's classics like BTTF and The Neverending Story, but they beat the viewer violently over the head with them instead of just giving them the respectful nod (especially The Neverending Story singing part was just pure cringe).

- Even when **** is out of control it still feels like a game, where the evil monsters gives the good guys a chance to chill, regroup, have some fun and try to deal with their personal stuff before the danger comes back again.

Definitely skipping Season 4 of this one, there are too many other good shows to waste time on this one anymore.

Love,

Amro
I agree, some good moments but the 'feel' is so different that it could've been directed and produced by totally different people (the difference is as big as Alien vs Alien: Resurrection).

The only way I can understand the directors/producers choices is if the goofy feel is intended, because in the mid 80s films started to be almost too 'out there' both in (over) acting, writing, editing and direction. So it might be an homage to that...

To paraphrase Comic Book Guy: Worst. Stranger Things season. Ever.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I agree with a lot of what is said. I do think however that season one was a bit overrated. It really felt like a lot of vibe and far less substance, which is really common these days (the force awakens comes to mind).

So I wasn't too surprised with s3 with the exception of the amount of not great humor.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I agree with a lot of what is said. I do think however that season one was a bit overrated. It really felt like a lot of vibe and far less substance, which is really common these days (the force awakens comes to mind).

So I wasn't too surprised with s3 with the exception of the amount of not great humor.
I really liked it but was disappointed that it got so much more attention and kudos than The OA which was a seminal work.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I really liked it but was disappointed that it got so much more attention and kudos than The OA which was a seminal work.
Will have to check "The OA"...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Will have to check "The OA"...
I think the OA belongs on a list of the absolute greatest shows ever (The Prisoner, Baker-era Dr. Who, The Twlight Zone, yada ya). But it has an otherworldly component quite unlike anything else. An extraordinary achievement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search