The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anime That Isn't So Silly?
Old 28th June 2019
  #1
Anime That Isn't So Silly?

I'm not a big fan of anime. I don't really go out looking for it because so much of it seems silly, like they're trying to put emphasis on being slapstick or cute. Someone posted a video on the intertubes a couple days ago for a synthwave song, but the visuals were cut from different older anime movies/shows/OVA. While I was watching it, I recalled that anime didn't used to be about melodramas and bad jokes. There used to be some pretty serious and dark stuff back in the day. For context, I'm referring to stuff like Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, Macross Plus, and things of that nature. What happened to it all? Is there still any being made, or is it all just cat girls and whiny teenagers? If you've got any recommendations (especially if it's relatively easy to find and doesn't cost a fortune), I'd love to check it out because I remember loving this stuff.
Old 28th June 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

I don't really get into anime at all but loved Cowboy Bebop.
Old 29th June 2019
  #3
I really don't see what the the hype is all about. Collectors gladly pay over $100 for some anime movies.

Perhaps if anime was popular when I was growing up, then it may be a different story. I prefer good ole' fashioned acting when it comes to movies or Disney if it's animated characters.
Old 29th June 2019
  #4
Gear Addict
The late great Satoshi Kon completed no kids anime and made no dud projects. He was a fan of composer Susumu Hirasawa and he scored 2 features and an OVA series. Keiichi Suzuki, who did a lot to shape Japanese pop scored Three Godfathers.
Old 1st July 2019
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I don't really get into anime at all but loved Cowboy Bebop.
Yes!!! I love Cowboy Bebop. It was such a noir series. And the soundtrack was incredible. I can't wait for the Hollywood ruination!!! (Though that's been in development hell since I was a teenager, so hopefully we'll never see it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I really don't see what the the hype is all about. Collectors gladly pay over $100 for some anime movies.

Perhaps if anime was popular when I was growing up, then it may be a different story. I prefer good ole' fashioned acting when it comes to movies or Disney if it's animated characters.
The conclusion I've come to is that there's just a lot more crap in the genre than I'd even realized. Sadly, the anime that goes for insane money usually does so because they're the rare gems that are more than just generic crud. Like one I started this weekend, the premise sounds great: In the wake of the apocalypse, the last bits of humanity occupy mobile militarized cities that roam the earth trying to stay away from these big nasty creatures that wiped out mankind. Sounds fun until you start watching and realize that it's really YET ANOTHER ANIME ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA!!! The real gems like Akira and Ghost in the Shell are few and far between.
Old 2nd July 2019
  #6
Watch the tale of the princess kaguya, very under rated and possibly my favourite ghibli film of them all, there's still some humour in it but it's mostly serious and such an amazing unique story because it's based on japanese folk law. I always prefer the japanese audio with subtitles over the disney overdubs.
Old 10th July 2019
  #7
Gear Head
 

Honestly, it's like most media products. Once it gets popular, the **** hits the fan.

There's a lot of fluff that caters for the lowest common denominator, sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to find some gems.
But I see your point, I used to be a big manga/anime fan when I was younger, and everything from that period seems better. But I'm sure nostalgia and availability are playing a big part in that perception also.

There was a time where anime wasn't so easily available internationally, and the only things that got exported were the absolutely exceptional stuff, or the things with international appeal (Ghost in the Shell and Akira being prime examples of this). Anime has increased in popularity outside of Japan the last years, and a lot more is available almost immediately. So the ****load of junk gets the spotlight also.
But don't forget anime is also a very broad name. Not every occidental cartoon is a masterpiece either. Most of the popular anime are catered for teenagers, so it's no surprise that high school settings and fan service are mainstream. According to the titles the OP mentioned, I think you're looking for more adult themes, and there still are some out there.

Some classic recommendations have already been given, I can only concur: look at stuff by the late Satoshi Kon, most things by Studio Ghibli (and not only by Miyazaki, Grave of the Fireflies for example is a masterpiece). I'll add Makoto Shinkai to this list ("Your Name" got pretty popular, but all of his films are quite nice).

Some movies that might be worth it: A Silent Voice, Sword of the Stranger, Wolf Children, RedLine (even if it's just for the art)
Some series that might be worth it: Samurai Shamploo (same director as Bebop), Mushishi (if you're into the more spiritual stuff), Fullmetal Alchemist (if you want shonen done right, Brotherhood being the one that follows the original story, considered as the better one of the two), PlanetES, Twelve Kingdoms, Steins;Gate.

Some of them are older (but all 2000+), some might be more difficult to find, but I think there'll be some things you'll like in there.

Oh, and Violet Evergarden. Very recent one that comes to mind that is pretty good.
Old 10th July 2019
  #8
After the initial post, I ended up splurging and grabbing a bunch of different stuff off of Amazon including Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd Gig), AD Police (hooray for more Bubblegum Saga!), Gantz, Deadman Wonderland, Corpse Party, Serial Experiments: Lain (supposedly inspired a lot of ideas for The Matrix, so I'm stoked for this one), a couple Appleseed movies, Armitage III, Cyber City, and some other random stuff. Not all of them cyberpunk/sci-fi like was initially the goal, but hopefully they'll have more adult themes to them (unlike Chrome Shelled Regios). I've barely scratched the surface on these so far. Also discovered that Tubi has a bunch of old anime on there, so been catching stuff like Black Magic M66, Lily C.A.T. (derivative as this one was, I really enjoyed it), and Wicked City. I've got a lot to keep me busy for a while, plus a bunch of stuff on the wishlist to pick up whenever I have spare scratch (debating splurging for the Ultimate Patlabor boxset next payday.)

I'm watching and enjoying the hell out of one now called Casshern: Sins. In the future, robots outnumber humans and rule over them with an iron fist. Then one day, something happened and Ruin, a condition that made robots suddenly start rusting and dying, was unleashed. Now the person/robot (we never know for sure what he is) that unleashed Ruin has returned, and is trying to put the pieces back together as to what happened and if there's anything that can be done about it. It's super bleak and involves the main character, Casshern wandering the wastelands and interacting with these stray groups of humans and/or robots. Robots were used to the concept of being immortal, so now that they can and will certainly die, they have interesting ways to manage their fear of death. Many of them invent religious myths like that eating Casshern will cause one to be immortal again or that Ruin was the result of robots thinking that they were above man. I'm really digging it for its emphasis on the psychology involved in this story, not just how the robots have reacted to losing immortality, but the humans' weird acceptance of the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
Watch the tale of the princess kaguya, very under rated and possibly my favourite ghibli film of them all, there's still some humour in it but it's mostly serious and such an amazing unique story because it's based on japanese folk law. I always prefer the japanese audio with subtitles over the disney overdubs.
Going through my DVD's to see what I already had and may have missed out on, turns out I've actually already got this one. Just need to actually watch it. I'm not a fan of all Ghibli, but there's no doubt that Miyazaki and company are super talented and imaginative.
Old 11th July 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
Hey guys,
for those who like "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell", check out "Ergo Proxy". That`s one hell of an anime.
Old 11th July 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIC_ME View Post
Hey guys,
for those who like "Akira" and "Ghost in the Shell", check out "Ergo Proxy". That`s one hell of an anime.
That one's on the list for me. I haven't read a bad thing about it. I'm kind of a physical media snob, but I might disregard that since this one's on Tubi and I'm really interested in it.
Old 5th August 2019
  #11
There's tons of good new anime out there. There's a bunch on Netflix/Amazon Prime as we speak. Check out A.I.C.O. (NF), Iron Fortress Kabanera (Amazon), Beserk (NF), Ajin (NF), Blame! (NF), The whole Fate series (NF), Swordgai (NF). The New 3-part Godzilla anime on Netflix looks great (ending is a little weak, but worth watching regardless)

I assure you, no superdeformed antics, no cat girls in those shows. If you like Akira, AICO should be up your alley (technology run amok). Personal favorite in recent years is Shigurui. It's slow and based in the Edo period, but the story and atmosphere are fantastic.
Old 5th August 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
I have a hard time describing my head scratch at anime.

Imagine if all of the "west" was just ga ga for our cartoons and cartoon characters instead of who we (rightly?) idolize who is flesh and blood.
Asia is that way, giving the world such cool hardware like play station and the Walkman, capable of seriously difficult warfare opponents, all the trappings of the west - cars, nuclear power, yet given over to this (as I see it) childish idols. It's way more than just a cultural difference there is something else. As a Yankee, I just don't get it.
Old 12th August 2019
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Parasite is a great one. Not silly whatsoever, actually. Dark, deep and gripping.

Cowboy bebop is a classic fan favorite (and for good reason)

Samurai champloo? Absolutely awesome from beginning to end.

One punch man is a hilarious genre deconstruction of every DBZ/ Naruto superhero anime available. I know people who both love and hate anime who have laughed their ass off at OPM.

For what its worth.. Most anime IS geared towards the youth.. However, that does not include everything. There are some truly amazing animated adventures with excellent artwork, beautiful soundtracks, and gripping and mature storytelling. If you are able to watch a couple minutes of anime and completely disregard it as a whole because you don't believe it could ever interest you or provide you with entertainment.. I'd be lying if I said you weren't being at least a little closed minded. Before I started engineering sound, I would tell people I hated county and Opera. Then, I began to produce... Eventually started mixing. Once I wrapped my mind around mixing, I began to appreciate music I previously couldn't stand. I absolutely hate a lot of mainstream pop's lyrics. I believe some of it is only enjoyable if you've filled your belly with poison and your inhibitions are lower than 20hz. Do I still listen to that trash? Absolutely.
The production value behind some of the most annoying songs on earth (imo) can still be excellent. 'Crap' music can be learned from just as much as anything else!

If you truly love something as a whole; you should be able to at least tolerate things you don't like, that contain what you love. I'm not saying go put up with every annoying thing you are subjected to.. but it is defintely good practice having patience. How many people on earth started liking something they previously couldn't stand just because they gave it a chance!?
Old 26th August 2019
  #14
Good recommendations on this thread, I'd add Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ruroni Kenshin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin
Old 27th August 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
lu432's Avatar
I scrolled the entire time and saw no mention of Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter. Both fantastic anime! Worth checking out if you want some deep stuff.

Last edited by lu432; 27th August 2019 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th August 2019
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
I scrolled the entire time and saw no mention of Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood or Hunter x Hunter. Both fantastic anime! Worth checking out if you want some deep stuff.
Haven't seen Hunter X Hunter, but I honestly dislike FMA. It's just a couple kids running around solving crimes, like a whiny Scooby Doo or X-Files: The High School Years.
Old 3rd September 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
Seems to be aimed at young women, Netflix produced a season of an anime series Carole & Tuesday about an near future aspiring songwriting duo with really up front instrument brand placement from (Clavia) Nord and Gibson.
Old 22nd September 2019
  #18
another highly recommended one is 'the red turtle' I thought it was great.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #19
Here for the gear
 
JWarren92's Avatar
 

Howl's moving castle is my favorite Ghibli film - I would highly recommend it if you haven't seen it!
Old 23rd September 2019
  #20
Perfect Blue is my recommendation. Serious subject matter, unique animation, great score.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump