The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
4K Television
Old 28th June 2019
4K Television

My Samsung HD TV is getting a bit outdated nearing 12 years. It still looks quite good for watching Blu-Ray movies. Despite this, it's not a smart TV and cannot be connected via Wi-Fi to my modem. Comcast offers some apps but they are quite limited. Additionally, I've been buying all my movies on 4K UHD for the past couple of years. I can't play the discs, but the movies come with a Blu-Ray disc as well. Nevertheless, I'm itching to be able to watch my 4K movies.

Soooo, after much thought and research, I'm going to be upgrading my old HD TV for a 4K model. I like the OLED 4K technology but I'm thinking of going with QLED, specifically the Samsung 4K Q90R 65" One of the drawbacks about Samsung is that it doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I'm not sure how essential that is, but I'm fine with good old fashioned standard surround sound.

I'm still a few months from pulling the trigger and now I need to decide on a good quality 4K player with all the features to get the most out the 4K experience. I still need to do my homework on that.

What are you guys using and what are your recommendations for your movie downtime?
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

I'm hear tell that it does 'do' Dolby 5.1 over the HDMI ARC* input and presumably the optical out, which can carry Atmos. The streaming services in the TV apps generally use that, but who's getting what from the respective streaming services' apps on which TVs is a bit of a dog's breakfast at the moment. Delivering the Dolby 5.1/Atmos streaming is the reason according to them for not supporting eARC in 2019, which isn't much help if you want a disc player to the TV with a single connection.

With disc playback I just use dual HDMI out of the Disc player - Video HDMI 1 straight to the TV and Audio HDMI 2 to the surround system. It avoids/solves a bunch of issues, plus I run optical out from the TV for everything else that comes in through the TV. Over the HDMI ARC worked for me before, then with couple of new devices added it started being cantankerous.

Depending on how much color accuracy and general dialling-in/calibration matters to you, you might enquire with a pro calibrator. In the U.S. you can try to dig up some of their commentary on AVSForum. I imagine you've likely looked in on there with regard to the TV in the dedicated thread for the specific model, but if you haven't looking in the 'Display Calibration' subforum you might find some commentary along those lines - jrref and D-Nice are two usernames, off the top of my head, who are gurus in that field, the latter being an industry consultant. I won't allude to some of his past commentary on some Samsungs, because different model series/years come into play to some degree, plus guys like these can see things most of us wouldn't even notice.

The turd in the soup sometimes, though, is some high-end TVs with out-of-the-box white balance being some way off even in their most accurate picture mode, often largely so easily solved by a simple two point adjustment that it looks deliberate. That's a given for the vivid modes used on the showroom floor, but sometimes a headscratcher in the picture modes that are supposed to be accurate (usually with 'Cinema', 'Custom', 'Professional' etc in the name).

If you've watched the U.K. HDTVTest on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oiLCk94lS8 Vincent Teoh is another guy who really knows his stuff.

*According to an update to one review (scroll down to the 'TV channels, recording & sound' paragraph) - https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1557215154
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
I'm hear tell that it does 'do' Dolby 5.1 over the HDMI ARC* input and presumably the optical out, which can carry Atmos. The streaming services in the TV apps generally use that, but who's getting what from the respective streaming services' apps on which TVs is a bit of a dog's breakfast at the moment. Delivering the Dolby 5.1/Atmos streaming is the reason according to them for not supporting eARC in 2019, which isn't much help if you want a disc player to the TV with a single connection.

With disc playback I just use dual HDMI out of the Disc player - Video HDMI 1 straight to the TV and Audio HDMI 2 to the surround system. It avoids/solves a bunch of issues, plus I run optical out from the TV for everything else that comes in through the TV. Over the HDMI ARC worked for me before, then with couple of new devices added it started being cantankerous.

Depending on how much color accuracy and general dialling-in/calibration matters to you, you might enquire with a pro calibrator. In the U.S. you can try to dig up some of their commentary on AVSForum. I imagine you've likely looked in on there with regard to the TV in the dedicated thread for the specific model, but if you haven't looking in the 'Display Calibration' subforum you might find some commentary along those lines - jrref and D-Nice are two usernames, off the top of my head, who are gurus in that field, the latter being an industry consultant. I won't allude to some of his past commentary on some Samsungs, because different model series/years come into play to some degree, plus guys like these can see things most of us wouldn't even notice.

The turd in the soup sometimes, though, is some high-end TVs with out-of-the-box white balance being some way off even in their most accurate picture mode, often largely so easily solved by a simple two point adjustment that it looks deliberate. That's a given for the vivid modes used on the showroom floor, but sometimes a headscratcher in the picture modes that are supposed to be accurate (usually with 'Cinema', 'Custom', 'Professional' etc in the name).

If you've watched the U.K. HDTVTest on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oiLCk94lS8 Vincent Teoh is another guy who really knows his stuff.

*According to an update to one review (scroll down to the 'TV channels, recording & sound' paragraph) - https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1557215154
Interesting stuff. I'll have to do some homework on the above.

Well, prices have dropped somewhat since last year. I still haven't pulled the trigger just yet, albeit I'm very close to it. I went to Best Buy yesterday to look at it and asked lot's of questions. The new Samsung's will come out around March or April, but I don't think I will wait until then. It drives me mad that I my old TV doesn't have the apps that the smart TV's have. There's a lot of content that's inaccessible to me ATM including CBS All Access, VUDU, etc. I'm itchin' to watch Sons of Anarchy.
Old 30th January 2020
Trigger Pull

After several years of patience and lots of salivating, I pulled the trigger today. The new goodies arrive tomorrow. I'm super stoked!

I'll post some pics.
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
My Samsung HD TV is getting a bit outdated nearing 12 years. It still looks quite good for watching Blu-Ray movies. Despite this, it's not a smart TV and cannot be connected via Wi-Fi to my modem. Comcast offers some apps but they are quite limited. Additionally, I've been buying all my movies on 4K UHD for the past couple of years. I can't play the discs, but the movies come with a Blu-Ray disc as well. Nevertheless, I'm itching to be able to watch my 4K movies.

Soooo, after much thought and research, I'm going to be upgrading my old HD TV for a 4K model. I like the OLED 4K technology but I'm thinking of going with QLED, specifically the Samsung 4K Q90R 65" One of the drawbacks about Samsung is that it doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I'm not sure how essential that is, but I'm fine with good old fashioned standard surround sound.

I'm still a few months from pulling the trigger and now I need to decide on a good quality 4K player with all the features to get the most out the 4K experience. I still need to do my homework on that.

What are you guys using and what are your recommendations for your movie downtime?
I'm using my 32" Sony 720p 10 year old "dumb" TV. Works fine, great picture. No interest in upgrading in the immediate future, esp I don't have cable anyway. But probably a year or two down the road. I had no idea how capable and how cheap even large TVs had become until recently. Today I saw a 46" TV for I think $300...IN THE GROCERY STORE. wth?
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

Is fun. I upgraded in late 2017 from a 2010 model. All the new things kept me entertained for ages.
Old 31st January 2020
No doubt, it feels great when you upgrade to something new after so many years.

I've had my non-smart HDTV now for 12 years! It's still a great TV and it has a great picture. What lured me in for an upgrade though, was the new technology, the ability to have all the apps on the television's smart-hub, to be able to operate the television from my iPhone, to mirror my phone's pictures and video's remotely and watch it on the big screen, and last but not least the higher resolution.

I got screwed by Best Buy though! The order was to be delivered today and now it's been re-scheduled until Monday. Grrr!
Old 1st February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
No doubt, it feels great when you upgrade to something new after so many years.

I've had my non-smart HDTV now for 12 years! It's still a great TV and it has a great picture. What lured me in for an upgrade though, was the new technology, the ability to have all the apps on the television's smart-hub, to be able to operate the television from my iPhone, to mirror my phone's pictures and video's remotely and watch it on the big screen, and last but not least the higher resolution.

I got screwed by Best Buy though! The order was to be delivered today and now it's been re-scheduled until Monday. Grrr!
Funny, none of those reasons apply to me. I just want a bigger screen. No wonder I kept the old one. Bummer about the delivery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Funny, none of those reasons apply to me. I just want a bigger screen. No wonder I kept the old one. Bummer about the delivery!
Indeed! What really yanks my chain was when I placed my order, a message said, "Order today to get it in time for the Superbowl!". Yeah right!
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear
Oh yeah lol - I would call and rant, ask for some store credit! Tell them you had this huge SB party counting on it
Quote:
Oh yeah lol - I would call and rant, ask for some store credit! Tell them you had this huge SB party counting on it
Good idea!
Lives for gear

Quote:
. Today I saw a 46" TV for I think $300...IN THE GROCERY STORE. wth?
โ€ฆ Out on the road today
I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac.
Old 24th February 2020
Here's some pics. As is customary for a studio cat, I had help with the un-boxing and assembly.

I'm real happy with this TV, it's definitely a true performer. Movies and shows look spectacular!
Attached Thumbnails
4K Television-q90r.jpg   4K Television-q90r2.jpg  
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear
Oh sure rub it in lol
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Guru

With how cheap TV's have gotten, I wouldn't mind a smart TV. I've got a PS3 that runs Netflix, Hulu, and Tubi into my TV, but a lot of services dropped support for PS3, so I can't watch HBO or Starz anymore. But I'm perfectly content with the picture of my ancient TV. It's 1080p and 30hz (limited by the PS3 unfortunately), but I still get joy watching movies and such on it. Maybe when the next big advance in TV's comes along (whatever happened to those stupid curve TV's?), I'll get a 4k smart TV.
Old 27th October 2020
Here for the gear

I am using a Samsung UN75F7100AFXZA TV. I donโ€™t know how many years he has not let me down. Of course now I started to use it less often, but I can always invite my friends to watch a movie. I chose it on the manymanuals site, where you can read Samsung UN75F7100AFXZA manuals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My how things have changed.

Recently I had to purchase a new TV as my old one died. It took me three days to finally get one I could set up. Most of the new stuff requires a cell phone for setup but I do not have a cell phone. I bought 2 TV's that I took home and could not complete the setup on. I had to return each one until finally on the third attempt I got one that did not require a cell phone for the setup process. I realize that when the new one dies I will be screwed unless I have a cell phone and by then, I may need another gizmo or two as well. I'm not a gadget guy so the future is likely going to be challenging for me.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
... Most of the new stuff requires a cell phone for setup but I do not have a cell phone. ...
Wow, this has me curious!
What part of the setup process requires a cell phone?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
It's not just consumer electronics requiring weird stuff. My Mashine Plus requires a WiFi connection to access OS updates and expansion packs. Weirdest freaking thing!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Samsung has an app that their setup uses and you have to get it on your mobile device to do the setup. There may be a way to do it without going through that process but it was not in the manual nor was I able to figure it out so I would have had to have opened a ticket with their tech support people and wait to find out. I was having none of that so I packed it up and took it back. I ended up with an LG. The setup was fine. It works. The picture is not as sharp as the Samsung but after a day I got used to it so it's fine.

I've had issues with tech support with both Samsung and LG so they are products I generally try to avoid but when it comes to TV's they seemed like the ones to try. I had also tried a Hisense but it stopped working just at the end of the 2 week return window. It went back too. Never before has buying a TV been such an ordeal. Tehcnology has its pluses and minuses. I know that quality assurance for these companies is poor so I was not surprised I had trouble.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear