The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CD Collection App / Software
Old 15th June 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

CD Collection App / Software

Hi.

Has anyone got any suggestions to the best app or ways to compile my large CD collection.

I've recently designed an excel document with various fields, including pop up cover art, pop up tracklistimg and to be fair, it's really really good. I like that I can easilly find albums under genres, artists, labels etc etc.
But as you can image, it's not user friendly for the mobile side of things, and wondered if an app maybe better.

I do have my collection growing on discogs which works okay but just feel I'm missing something.

If anyone has used something they really like please let me known. The nerd in me is wanting something nice to use.

Cheers.
Old 16th June 2019
  #2
Microsoft Access works really well for that.
Old 16th June 2019
  #3
Gear Head
I love Orange CD database. I just put in the UPC or label code and it gathers all of the track/credits/version info from discogs or related sites.
Old 18th June 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Microsoft Access works really well for that.
Not an "app"
Old 24th June 2019
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I tried a few and never found what I was looking for. I ended up compiling mine in an Excel spreadsheet and if I ever need to edit/view it on the go, I use Google Drive.
Old 4th December 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I finally burned my entire CD collection to disk and have it backed up on multiple drives. I used Apple Lossless or whatever the format is. It took a month or more but I started noticing CD's going south after time so just bit the bullit and did it. I still mostly listen to my CD collextion but I have Apple TV going into an RME ADI-2 and into my Classe CAP-150 into ProAc 3.5i Speakers. I can run this off my macbook from a thumb drive. Convenient. Best of two worlds.
Old 5th December 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
FWIW to anyone not looking forward to manually typing in a billion song titles and artists/etc there is an application that if you have all your tunes on the computer will do it for you (auto scan): https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multim...PlayTime.shtml
Old 5th December 2019
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Earlier this year, my senile crazed bat of a mother threw away my CD collection, so I'm still reeling from that one. So there's about $30k worth of music down the frickin' drain. I'm trying to get used to streaming, but it's just not the same, man.
Old 7th December 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Earlier this year, my senile crazed bat of a mother threw away my CD collection, so I'm still reeling from that one. So there's about $30k worth of music down the frickin' drain. I'm trying to get used to streaming, but it's just not the same, man.
When I left home after high school I was only able to bring minimal stuff - whatever would fit in my VW Rabbit. I left my record collection with my parents. They later divorced and my mother relocated. Years later I went to visit for Christmas and went to check out my record collection. She had left the albums in their crates but had stored them in her basement which was damp. All the album covers to the entire record collection had mildewed and they were all stuck together and inside the sleeves had also mildewed so every single album was filled with paper and mildew. The inner labels had also mildewed so I had no idea what album was what.

I spent days with a cosmetic brush trying to clean the LP's. The covers were all ruined. I even discovered that I had a Beatles "Butcher Album" that was totally ruined. I never got the albums properly cleaned and eventually ended up throwing them all in the trash.

I wanted to kill my mother but of course knew that it was really my own fault for entrusting my record collection to someone else and what did she know - I'm sure had she ever thought of the possibility of them being ruined due to being in the cellar she would have done someting to protect them.

Anyway, the good news is I got over it. I did end up buying CD's to replace the albums and of course resented the record companies for making more money off me but I got over it and somehow surived.

That said, I feel your pain! Good luck coping.
Old 14th December 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Earlier this year, my senile crazed bat of a mother threw away my CD collection, so I'm still reeling from that one. So there's about $30k worth of music down the frickin' drain. I'm trying to get used to streaming, but it's just not the same, man.
You realize you could probably download most of it from the internet for free, right? And since you owned them previously, it's legal.
Old 14th December 2019
  #11
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
You realize you could probably download most of it from the internet for free, right? And since you owned them previously, it's legal.
It isn't the same. Physical media rocks butt.
Old 14th December 2019
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
You realize you could probably download most of it from the internet for free, right? And since you owned them previously, it's legal.
Uh -- no, it's not.
Old 21st December 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
uh - yeah, it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
uh - yeah, it is.
Nope.

Just for the uninformed, it is only legal to download music from sites which have obtained authorization from the copyright holders (iTunes, Amazon, etc...) Amazon used to have a feature that let you download the entire MP3 album of a CD purchase, but that ran afoul of copyright law and they no longer offer this service.

Most of these suppositions can be resolved with the common sense God gave your average garden slug. For instance, you can't purchase a movie ticket and then watch the movie any time you want, nor can you give/sell the stub to your friend and let him watch the movie. Same situation goes for music in the form of used CDs, which is where your "well I own the CD so I can download it so nanny-nanny-boo-boo" logic falls apart -- the artists are not being paid royalties.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Most of these suppositions can be resolved with the common sense God gave your average garden slug.
One would think, but apparently not.

Clarification:

If you have purchased a song or album or whatever, you are permitted to have/make copies of it for your own use, you just can't sell it or give it to others or obtain copies of things you haven't purchased.

Common sense dictates that how you got the copy really doesn't matter as no jury in the world is going to convict you for having a copy of something you purchased.

Common sense also dictates that the artists aren't being paid royalties for copies you make for your own use regardless of how you made them.

Quote:
you can't purchase a movie ticket and then watch the movie any time you want, nor can you give/sell the stub to your friend and let him watch the movie. Same situation goes for music in the form of used CDs, which is where your "well I own the CD so I can download it so nanny-nanny-boo-boo" logic falls apart -- the artists are not being paid royalties.
Speaking of logic that falls apart Not a valid analogy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Clarification:

If you have purchased a song or album or whatever, you are permitted to have/make copies of it for your own use, you just can't sell it or give it to others or obtain copies of things you haven't purchased.
Correct, as long as you do this from the media you bought, and on devices you own for your own personal use, and further prevent dissemination to third parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Common sense dictates that how you got the copy really doesn't matter as no jury in the world is going to convict you for having a copy of something you purchased.

Common sense also dictates that the artists aren't being paid royalties for copies you make for your own use regardless of how you made them.
Incorrect premise, incorrect application of common sense. By obtaining a copy from someone else's media, both you and the party from which you're obtaining the copy are violating the fair use policy as you would be obtaining material from a source for which you have no license, and that source is in violation for making those copies available to third parties.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump