The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Renting a home in LA for writing
Old 22nd April 2019
Renting a home in LA for writing

Hi,

I couldn't really work out where to put this, so if mod's can think of a more appropriate place feel free to move it.

I'm looking to rent a home in LA for 6-8 weeks for a 4 piece band, the intention is that it will function as a writing retreat and somewhat of a break. Preferably not too far out in the sticks.

Need to be able to make a little noise, but we're not metallica.

Has anybody done this before or knows of where to start looking for something like this.

Tempted to try AirBnB, but i imagine most host's are gonna flip a biscuit when I explain what it's for.

Doesn't need to have a studio attached but if it did that would be the bonus of all bonuses, figuring we can do most of what I wanna achieve with a couple of hired racks and a laptop.

Ta
Old 22nd April 2019
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3189 View Post
Hi,

I couldn't really work out where to put this, so if mod's can think of a more appropriate place feel free to move it.

I'm looking to rent a home in LA for 6-8 weeks for a 4 piece band, the intention is that it will function as a writing retreat and somewhat of a break. Preferably not too far out in the sticks.

Need to be able to make a little noise, but we're not metallica.

Has anybody done this before or knows of where to start looking for something like this.

Tempted to try AirBnB, but i imagine most host's are gonna flip a biscuit when I explain what it's for.

Doesn't need to have a studio attached but if it did that would be the bonus of all bonuses, figuring we can do most of what I wanna achieve with a couple of hired racks and a laptop.

Ta

This is pretty normal in La. I would contact a Realestate firm and describe what you are looking to do. It wont be cheap. But you will have options. Do not go the Airbnb route. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 23rd April 2019
Sounds good, any real estate firms who people can recommend who've handled this type of thing before?
Old 23rd April 2019
Renting a home for a short period to a "band" will be a hard sell in the LA real estate market. Be prepared to put up a huge security deposit.

There are cheaper places to rent and put a band together. Like anywhere else except NYC and SF.
Old 23rd April 2019
Deleted 5072d97
I must say that idea sounds amazing. If the US would let me in (I've got a 10 year old verdict that might stop me at the gates, can't spend the cash and take a chance on maybe hearing that I'm not welcome in to the land the free or whatever you guys are on about now..) but at least I can keep on dreaming about it. One day...

My only advice is to keep bargaining the price a bit and don't go for the most expensive and neither the cheapest. Just make sure you get what you need and to make the best out of it. At least that's what friends of mine has done and has recommend me. And I believe they're doing pretty well these days. though they went in 100% (in the music, not renting the fatest apartment with a studio but a middle budget one where it's clear that you will make some noise etc).

Anyway good luck with everything and never become Metallica .
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Renting a home for a short period to a "band" will be a hard sell in the LA real estate market. Be prepared to put up a huge security deposit.

There are cheaper places to rent and put a band together. Like anywhere else except NYC and SF.
Why LA? Not a lot of people refer to this place as a retreat. Wanna get away from it all? Try the Ozarks.

If you're locked into LA, you might save a little money by finding something in the valley or surrounding areas. Sun Valley (a dump) has many 2-3 acre homes (Americans do like their horses) and may give you some privacy and is only 20 minutes from LA (without traffic, 3 days with). Don't tell anyone you're a rock band, none of their business. You just came for all the orgies as far as they're concerned. Try not to Keith Moon the place or piss off the neighbors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search