The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your favourite sport?
Old 28th March 2019
Here for the gear

What's your favourite sport?

I'm a great fan of tennis and I adore swimming too, what about you?
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear
Hockey. Go Lightning!
Old 29th March 2019
For me, I really like Golf.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
I don't consider swimming or golf a sport, but before anyone gets in a snit, that's not a criticism. I just don't think a sport is simply any competitive activity; that's too broad of a definition. And I never will get why people think not being called a sport is automatically a criticism, as if being a sport is somehow automatically "better" in some way. It's just a classification thing. I quite like golf for ex. Anyway....

Just American football for me, and mostly college ball. I used to kinda follow baseball and hockey, but dismissed baseball after their last strike and just lost interest in hockey.
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I don't consider swimming or golf a sport, but before anyone gets in a snit, that's not a criticism. I just don't think a sport is simply any competitive activity; that's too broad of a definition. And I never will get why people think not being called a sport is automatically a criticism, as if being a sport is somehow automatically "better" in some way. It's just a classification thing. I quite like golf for ex. Anyway....

Just American football for me, and mostly college ball. I used to kinda follow baseball and hockey, but dismissed baseball after their last strike and just lost interest in hockey.
From the net:

"Golf in the United States is a $70 billion annual industry with 24.1 million players. ... Opponents say that golf better meets the definition of "game" than "sport," does not require rigorous physical activity, and can be played professionally by people who are overweight, injured, or non-athletic."
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

American football, Rockies baseball, Avalanche Hockey. in that order.

I've watched some world cup soccer, mesmerizing.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras View Post
I'm a great fan of tennis and I adore swimming too, what about you?
depends what you call a sport

used to like baseball many decades ago
used to like nfl a few decades ago
liked soccer when the kids were growing up

golf and tennis not so much

used to like chess many many decades ago
used to play bridge a decade ago

dont really care about sports now
guess i am getting too old
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
lol
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Best sports for playing: Tennis Golf Rugby Poison Soccer Flolf Trap Lawn bowling Hockey
Team Handball Pool Volleyball
watching on TV: Olympics (love Biathalon) Curling Golf Baseball Football
World Cup Soccer Americas Cup Pumpkin Chucking Modern Pentathlon
in person: World Cup & Triple Crown Horse Racing Hockey

Of course who doesn't like a good Chess Boxing match... or Ritnis
Attached Thumbnails
What's your favourite sport?-chess-boxing.jpeg   What's your favourite sport?-ritnis2.jpeg   What's your favourite sport?-ritnis1.png  
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Mine was baseball. I was a pretty good pitcher in my younger years but drugs and the Fillmore East and playing guitar sort of hijacked my attention and I walked away from playing. Sadly, the game has been ruined by suits and statistics and also hijacked by ESPN, MLB.com and FOX.

Being from the NY area I grew up watching Mantle, Maris, Ford and many others that made it to the hall. I even saw DiMaggio although it was an Old Timers game. He still had the beautiful swing! The game has been changed to provide "action" to get more viewers so I do not follow it much anymore although I do enjoy the College World Series.

I'd rather watch reruns of games from the past than watch current play - that's how disenchanted with the current state of the game I am in.

I will add that Pete Rose is a disgusting person but he deserves to be in the Hall in my opinion. I think the past bunch of commissioners have not been good for the game. I also am OK with the 5 game playoffs but the extra stuff is just about money. And they should do away with the designated hitter. Again, they want to turn it into an action event rather than the game it used to be.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Best sports for playing: Tennis Golf Rugby Poison Soccer Flolf Trap Lawn bowling Hockey
Team Handball Pool Volleyball
watching on TV: Olympics (love Biathalon) Curling Golf Baseball Football
World Cup Soccer Americas Cup Pumpkin Chucking Modern Pentathlon
in person: World Cup & Triple Crown Horse Racing Hockey

Of course who doesn't like a good Chess Boxing match... or Ritnis
I'm with you on the Curling. I got hooked a few winter Olympics ago. Sadly the network seldom shows any of it so one has to have cable to get it and I refuse to pay for cable because I think the cable companies are greedy and sleazy when it comes to the TV bit. Don't get me started......! :-)
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I'm with you on the Curling. I got hooked a few winter Olympics ago. Sadly the network seldom shows any of it so one has to have cable to get it and I refuse to pay for cable because I think the cable companies are greedy and sleazy when it comes to the TV bit. Don't get me started......! :-)
curling is an absolute perfect backdrop for doing light production work.. just gotta hook the rock on the button. or hook the brige to the chorus....lolol
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will add that Pete Rose is a disgusting person but he deserves to be in the Hall in my opinion.
Disgusting because he cheated on baseball? Not excusing that at all but if that's the worst thing he did, boo effing hoo, there are many guys who are or will be in the HOF who have done worse...druggies, wife beaters, God only knows what else. I'm not esp a Rose or a Reds fan, but if the worst he did was cheat, what a complete joke to keep him out of the HOF for that. As stupid as it is hypocritical. Ty Cobb beat up a cripple in the stands and I'm pretty sure he's in. And yes the commissioners have sucked for a long time. But this pretty much describes pro sports in general. Hockey is the only one that doesn't totally nauseate me but that's probably because I don't pay as much attention to it.
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

NFL fwiw
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Disgusting because he cheated on baseball? Not excusing that at all but if that's the worst thing he did, boo effing hoo, there are many guys who are or will be in the HOF who have done worse...druggies, wife beaters, God only knows what else. I'm not esp a Rose or a Reds fan, but if the worst he did was cheat, what a complete joke to keep him out of the HOF for that. As stupid as it is hypocritical. Ty Cobb beat up a cripple in the stands and I'm pretty sure he's in. And yes the commissioners have sucked for a long time. But this pretty much describes pro sports in general. Hockey is the only one that doesn't totally nauseate me but that's probably because I don't pay as much attention to it.
Yup - Cobb is in the Hall and he was a racist and a nasty human being based on history. Rose is not a nice human being either or at least that is my perception of him and I am guessing that is accurate. He is however one of the best baseball players in the game and therefore deserves to be in the HOF. If they want to punish him then fine - explain every awful deed he did but put him where he belongs. I suspect after he passes away they will vote him in. This is a vendetta because he refused to own up to his gambling as Giamatti felt he also bet on Reds games which he always denied. They do not want to give Rose the satisfaction of knowing he made it to the HOF so they will wait until he is deceased. My guess anyway. I'm OK with that but if they do not elect him posthumously then I will be really pissed off.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Nut

Definitely basketball, playing and watching. Moreover, for me the NBA is the perfect blend of athleticism, drama, team and individual play! Great game.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwetli View Post
Definitely basketball, playing and watching. Moreover, for me the NBA is the perfect blend of athleticism, drama, team and individual play! Great game.
Agree except for 3 steps and crossovers... or what they call continuing possession, little better in NCAA.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Guru

Basketball. NBA. High skill, hard, fast, drama.

I used to like Boxing and American football but the brain damage and the commissioner Goodell ruined it for me.

I also love tennis but haven’t been watching it too much the last few years.
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I also love tennis but haven’t been watching it too much the last few years.
I'll second Henry and the OP on tennis. From an amateur perspective, one of the few sports people can play for life. And anyone can participate with a racquet, a High School or public park court, a partner, and a $3 can of balls. You can play as little or as long as you want, take it easy or play hard. You don't need a whole team, an organized event, or six hours of your day to have some fun, get some exercise, and be as competitive as you wish.

From a professional perspective, the top players are world-class athletes. If they weren't playing tennis, they would be a star athlete in some other sport. Most people don't have the quickness, acceleration, or balance to slide on hard courts.

What sets professional tennis apart from other sports, especially singles?
- You play every set, every game, every point, every shot. Almost all full-out.
- You can't take it easy or rely on anyone else. You win or you lose. Can't blame it on someone else.
- You cannot be (legally) coached during a match. You must do your own analysis of your opponent and make your own decisions/adjustments/strategies.
- You get 90 seconds to rest on a changeover, but don't get timeouts or breaks. (Unless it's an injury timeout...10 minutes.)
- You don't have substitutes or backups.
- You don't get TV commercial breaks.
- There is no time limit. No horn, buzzer, or clock saving you. No ties. You play until it's done. That is typically 2-4 hours straight, regardless of heat or humidity on surfaces that can be 20 degrees hotter than air temp. (Consider the Isner/Mahut match at 2010 Wimbledon: 183 games, 11 hours 5 minutes of play over three days, with an 8 hour 11 minute final set.)
- You have to have mastered hitting forehands, backhands, topspin, slice, drop-shots, inside-out, outside-in, various serve types/speeds/placement, overheads, and lobs, with the ability to hit hard or with touch, with exact timing, accuracy, and split-second judgement, all while running forward, backward, and side-to-side...often at full sprint...while anticipating and analyzing the speed, spin, and bounce angle of the ball coming at you, as well as where your opponent is on the court.
- You travel frequently and globally during the season, funding all travel expenses for yourself and your team.
- You are responsible to pay your coach, trainer, and fitness personnel.
- And oh yeah, if you don't win, you don't get paid. No multi-million dollar guaranteed contracts regardless of your participation, production, or "potential". And while sponsorship can add to your income, that only happens when you win big and continue to win big.

Henry, if you haven't been to a pro tournament, I highly recommend it. Seeing these players in person gives a whole different appreciation for their level of talent. Looks like the closest to you is BNP Paribas/Indian Wells. Top names play that tourney. Take a few days and go fairly early in the tournament. The cost is less, you'll see more players, and at Indian Wells you'll be able to get closer to the courts/players. It's a totally different perspective than watching them on TV. See Fed, Rafa, and Djoker in person before they retire.
Old 11th May 2019
Deleted 11f77bb
Quote:
Rose is not a nice human being either or at least that is my perception of him and I am guessing that is accurate.
My dad did some legal work for him way back when.. from that and sports I played, I've spent a fair bit of time around him and known him through family members for my entire life and can honestly say youre wrong. He may not be a perfect angel, but is far from being a nasty human being and most definitely deserves a spot in the hall. Unrelated to baseball, ridiculous personal grudges and vendettas are whats keeping him out. Sadly.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 11f77bb View Post
My dad did some legal work for him way back when.. from that and sports I played, I've spent a fair bit of time around him and known him through family members for my entire life and can honestly say youre wrong. He may not be a perfect angel, but is far from being a nasty human being and most definitely deserves a spot in the hall. Unrelated to baseball, ridiculous personal grudges and vendettas are whats keeping him out. Sadly.
I agree about the grudges keeping him out and as stated, it is very wrong. As to your experience, I am sure Rose is capable of being nice and I have no doubt that in the circumstances you report he was. That said from what I have heard and witnessed he sounds very self centered and self absorbe. I once saw him at Mall of America where he was charging a lot of money to sign autographs. Not many people were interested in paying. Of course I have never met him but there are simply too many stories of him not being particularly nice for me to change my opinion based on you and your father's experiences with the man. As I said, we are all capable of being nice and I am sure what you report is true of your experiences. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Tennis is a great war of wills. You know most players have a big achilles heel. But they try to not let you know it or keep you from exploiting it. Biggest lack of todays players IMO is the backhand smash - Not many can do it well or even consistent any more. Drop it to the forehand then soft lob to their high back hand deep. Brutal to do it 20 or 30 times in a set, let alone well. jeje The low volley is ignored by 90% of the pros today. They just stab or react to it. good sport overall.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Soccer FTW
Old 14th May 2019
Playing = Ping Pong and Frisbee

Watching = none
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Guru

Playing - baseball, basketball, tennis. Lots easier to hurt myself than it used to be, though.

Live - hockey, lacrosse (both suck on TV, imo).

On TV - MLB, used to love NFL. That sport and TV were made for each other, but I have a hard time with it now.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Test cricket, nothing comes close

(... and the IOM TT is clearly the best motorsport )
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

This spot is fun to play - WOW what a rally... not photo-shopped either....
https://www.facebook.com/highlightsw...7629021946173/
Quickness is a huge asset.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Leafs
Jays
Raptors

Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Playing = Ping Pong and Frisbee

Watching = none
+1 for Frisbee!
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
+1 for Frisbee!
no Flolf love? lol great sport.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search