The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your movie reviews
Old 14th May 2019
  #211
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Watched pet semetary last night, it was ok. Very average, I do wonder how people make these clearly average films and think, yeah thats amazing. If you work in the film industry surely you know whats good and whats not......the only logical conclusion seems to be the films are purely for Money, kind of like pop films as to pop music.

I feel bad for Stephen King, one of the worlds most popular writers yet his films rarely turn out to be anything that good, seems unusual.

Just seems odd considering some of the best films I've seen were crazy low budget, primer was $3000 iirc and pretty much on a par with David Fincher, Chuck P, Brad Pitt, Ed Norton Fight Club.......

If you like odd stuff watch Primer....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/
Old 14th May 2019
  #212
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I feel bad for Stephen King, one of the worlds most popular writers yet his films rarely turn out to be anything that good, seems unusual.
I think it's just as funny that one of his most popular cinema adaptations (The Shining) is a thing that he hates. I've seen a lot of dud Stephen King movies. I can't stand his writing, but he has good plots, so I'm always hoping to find good adaptations of his works. The ones that stand out most to me are 1408, The Mist, The Shining, Carrie, and Misery. There's a lot of made-for-TV-stuff of his that isn't so bad so long as you keep the low budget in mind.
Old 15th May 2019
  #213
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think it's just as funny that one of his most popular cinema adaptations (The Shining) is a thing that he hates. I've seen a lot of dud Stephen King movies. I can't stand his writing, but he has good plots, so I'm always hoping to find good adaptations of his works. The ones that stand out most to me are 1408, The Mist, The Shining, Carrie, and Misery. There's a lot of made-for-TV-stuff of his that isn't so bad so long as you keep the low budget in mind.
Yea I second what you said... personally I have trouble reading a page or two of Kings novels. His style just doesn't fit me. His stories are good. And the movies Shining and Carrie were good. I do not know how much creative control he has over the releases... but many writers do have a strong say. Little baffling.
Old 15th May 2019
  #214
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Another one I saw a couple weeks ago and forgot to do a write-up on: Riki-Oh:The Story of Ricky. I saw this one on the recommendation of Angry Video Game Nerd, so you can imagine what kind of movie this is. It's a dark comedy about this young guy, Ricky, that gets thrown into prison after seeking revenge on the gang that killed his girlfriend. Everybody at the prison is corrupt and out to get him, so he has to "defend" himself. What it boils down to is that Ricky is ridiculously overpowered compared to the inmates and prison guards. The story is barely there and the ending will leave you scratching your head. It's a lot like Ichi the Killer in that its packed full of violence and gore that's so over the top, you'll laugh your ass off. For example, Ricky gets into a fight with a thug and he's able to punch the guy so hard that this thug's entire arm explodes and his jaw goes flying off. There's a scene where Ricky's tendons in his arms get cut, so he ties them back together. Those aren't even the big scenes. Very much worth watching if you're after absolutely mindless laughs.
Old 15th May 2019
  #215
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Yea I second what you said... personally I have trouble reading a page or two of Kings novels. His style just doesn't fit me. His stories are good. And the movies Shining and Carrie were good. I do not know how much creative control he has over the releases... but many writers do have a strong say. Little baffling.
I'm guessing he has none to little. I think I remember hearing he had a more hands on role with "rose red" which was a decent tv series. It's pretty weird considering the clout he should have...
Old 17th May 2019
  #216
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
For my wife's birthday, she wanted to have a mini Vincent Price marathon, so we watched a couple classics she hadn't seen before.

The Tingler - This was only my second viewing for this one. It's so silly that it's borderline laughable. I'd have loved to be in the theater back in the day for the screaming scene where the seats all start randomly buzzing and Vincent Price is encouraging everybody to "scream for your life!" Also, the only color in the whole movie being the blood in the bathtub was super effective. It was fun watching my wife jump out of her seat when that came on.

House on Haunted Hill - I loved this movie as a kid. My mom would tell me stories about the interactive theaters that had floating skeletons flying across the room. The severed head, creepy caretaker, and floating skeleton scenes all scared the dickens out of me. Even today, the ambiance, the cinematography, the soundtrack make it such an enjoyably creepy film. It has one of my favorite movie endings ever. The whole film has aged so well. I hated when they remade it and rewrote the ending because they obviously missed the point of the movie.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #217
Lives for gear
 

Apollo 13. Holds up well.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #218
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Am I the only person who thinks that 'The Favourite' is dull, contrived, and a perfect example of style over content? I believe I am.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #219
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
I watched Gremlins with the spouse a couple nights ago. I was surprised because I remember loving this flick, but it doesn't seem to have aged as well as other movies from its era. It felt like it was trying too hard to encapsulate the 50's horror movie style, and the story was pretty much nonexistent. Gotta give props though: Gizmo the Mogwai is still one of the cutest things to ever be invented for screen.

Old 22nd May 2019
  #220
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Am I the only person who thinks that 'The Favourite' is dull, contrived, and a perfect example of style over content? I believe I am.
The Academy Awards used to be a pretty good benchmark to tell you how good a movie is, but it seems like ever since that year that Shakespeare in Love won half the Oscars, it's become a contest to see who can give the best blowjobs to themselves.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #221
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The Academy Awards used to be a pretty good benchmark to tell you how good a movie is, but it seems like ever since that year that Shakespeare in Love won half the Oscars, it's become a contest to see who can give the best blowjobs to themselves.
I think it's still a pretty good indicator of how good films are, or at least how bad they aren't.

Personal taste is one thing, but the Academy is supposed to transcend that to some degree. So just because a person sees an Oscar awarded film and gets bored or thinks it's pretentious doesn't really mean it wasn't the best nominated film in the category. Sometimes excellence isn't really what tickles us emotionally, subjectively.. personally..
Old 22nd May 2019
  #222
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think it's still a pretty good indicator of how good films are, or at least how bad they aren't.
I don't think it's even close. Look at some of the crap that's won lately..mostly utter drek or at best only passable flicks which mostly/only win because they pimp Hollywood's loud-and-proud political agenda with a ferocity the n a z i s would envy. No thanks and God bless the internet, haven't paid for a flick in years. The hell with them making so much as a penny off of me.
Old 22nd May 2019
  #223
Lives for gear
 

Ok, so you're confusing your political views versus what you perceive as being Hollywood's political views with on the other hand whether or not the films are well made. That's pretty much exactly what I was saying.

It'd be one thing if they handed out awards to the remake of Ghostbusters or whatever, but that's not really what I've seen (though I could have missed out on something).

Come to think of it, I suppose I'll take a look again at what's been awarded recently to see this "agenda" you're whining about.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #224
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I don't think it's even close. Look at some of the crap that's won lately..mostly utter drek or at best only passable flicks which mostly/only win because they pimp Hollywood's loud-and-proud political agenda with a ferocity the n a z i s would envy. No thanks and God bless the internet, haven't paid for a flick in years. The hell with them making so much as a penny off of me.
Not sure the fact that you "haven't paid for a flick in years" is something to brag about....would you be as quick to boast that you haven't paid for music in years because you don't want musicians "making so much as a penny off of" you?

If you don't like "Hollywood's agenda" then stand by your principles and don't watch it's output.
Old 23rd May 2019
  #225
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I watched Gremlins with the spouse a couple nights ago. I was surprised because I remember loving this flick, but it doesn't seem to have aged as well as other movies from its era. It felt like it was trying too hard to encapsulate the 50's horror movie style, and the story was pretty much nonexistent. Gotta give props though: Gizmo the Mogwai is still one of the cutest things to ever be invented for screen.

He looks like my

Old 23rd May 2019
  #226
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
No movie character embodies that look better than...



Every time I see him, I think of the old "deez nutz" meme.

Old 24th May 2019
  #227
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Ok, so you're confusing your political views versus what you perceive as being Hollywood's political views with on the other hand whether or not the films are well made. That's pretty much exactly what I was saying.
Sorry, no. For starters, I don't "perceive" this, it's a rather well-known and glaring fact. Second, I don't simply dislike these allegedly "best" movies because they disagree with my political views. Part of (I repeat, part of) why I dislike them is because they are shoving their political views down my throat. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with them or not. But also they are often not good movies at all, yet being touted as such.


Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Not sure the fact that you "haven't paid for a flick in years" is something to brag about....would you be as quick to boast that you haven't paid for music in years because you don't want musicians "making so much as a penny off of" you?
Didn't think that invalid analogy would take long to appear. Movies aren't music. Also apples aren't cheeseburgers. Also I don't have to pay for music since there's this thing called radio (including online stations) that I can listen to for free.

Quote:
If you don't like "Hollywood's agenda" then stand by your principles and don't watch it's output.
You seem to have somehow missed that I was speaking generally; despite it being increasingly common, not ALL movies are like that. There are good movies out there which don't do this (or at least do it to a far lesser degree). Unfortunately, it's generally impossible to know which is which without seeing them. And since I am not supporting them with so much as a single penny and immediately dismiss such crapass movies when it becomes clear that's what they are, I am standing by my principles.
Old 24th May 2019
  #228
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Sorry, no. For starters, I don't "perceive" this, it's a rather well-known and glaring fact.
It's certainly a fact in some circles. And it seems to be slanted predominantly in one way, curiously enough.
Old 24th May 2019
  #229
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Sorry, no. For starters, I don't "perceive" this, it's a rather well-known and glaring fact. Second, I don't simply dislike these allegedly "best" movies because they disagree with my political views. Part of (I repeat, part of) why I dislike them is because they are shoving their political views down my throat. It has nothing to do with whether I agree with them or not. But also they are often not good movies at all, yet being touted as such.



Didn't think that invalid analogy would take long to appear. Movies aren't music. Also apples aren't cheeseburgers. Also I don't have to pay for music since there's this thing called radio (including online stations) that I can listen to for free.

You seem to have somehow missed that I was speaking generally; despite it being increasingly common, not ALL movies are like that. There are good movies out there which don't do this (or at least do it to a far lesser degree). Unfortunately, it's generally impossible to know which is which without seeing them. And since I am not supporting them with so much as a single penny and immediately dismiss such crapass movies when it becomes clear that's what they are, I am standing by my principles.
So it's fine to watch any of the "good movies out there" and not pay for them?....and I'm sorry but the comparison to music is an accurate one......there is some, in fact a lot of, music out there which is awful' however that doesn't justify not paying for the good Music, the music you enjoy.....you're not actually displaying ANY principles, in fact it seems like the opposite, you are bragging about getting something for nothing.
Old 25th May 2019
  #230
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
The Academy was finished with that year of Shakespeare knock-off, I agree with OP. It is all agenda driven or them slapping each-other on the back. So many other Cine Awards rank so much higher. The ones who vote rarely see all the movies in categories they even vote on. I mean come-on. They live the life of Riley and can not take the time to actually vote. So why would I want to watch a show that blatantly shows biasm. I knew a few Oscar winners who carried their trophy in a duffle bag cuz a few years later it didn't mean much.
Old 25th May 2019
  #231
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
The Academy was finished with that year of Shakespeare knock-off, I agree with OP. It is all agenda driven or them slapping each-other on the back. So many other Cine Awards rank so much higher. The ones who vote rarely see all the movies in categories they even vote on. I mean come-on. They live the life of Riley and can not take the time to actually vote. So why would I want to watch a show that blatantly shows biasm. I knew a few Oscar winners who carried their trophy in a duffle bag cuz a few years later it didn't mean much.
Surely ALL 'awards' are nonsense......film making is an art form, and as such it's merits, or otherwise, are completely subjective.

It doesn't stop at the Academy awards, or film making, though, The BAFTAS, The Brits, The Ivors, The Grammys....They are all insignificant....and it's not something which is new, Marlon Brando saw through it years ago, as did many others.
However, the crass and shallow nature of such 'accolades' should not detract from the fact that a lot of hard work goes into EVERY film made....and that there really are still some actors, directors, producers, musicians etc out there who really do have integrity.
Old 25th May 2019
  #232
Here for the gear
 

I saw Spotlight a few months back, and it was a fantastic film.

I also saw BlacKKKlansman, which was a really well-done film. Definitely deserved the Oscar. I also saw the Green Book back when it came out, and although it was alright, it didn't have the incredible script or acting that Spike Lee's film had.
Old 25th May 2019
  #233
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The ones that stand out most to me are 1408,
I know it's old but I doubt anything chillworthy has surpassed Cusack in this creepy tale. The offspeed carpenter's track is total goosebumps. I have enjoyed the Insidious series. Some creepy stuff in there as well. The exorcist still holds up.
Old 25th May 2019
  #234
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowillbebach View Post
I saw Spotlight a few months back, and it was a fantastic film.
Yes. Good. And it's a topic matter that stays relevant, sadly...
Old 25th May 2019
  #235
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Surely ALL 'awards' are nonsense......film making is an art form, and as such it's merits, or otherwise, are completely subjective.
I think we're back to the question of whether the performance of the Rites of Spring by a high school orchestra can be called objectively inferior to that of the London Symphony Orchestra, for example. Tough choice to make, no? Either there is no objective difference in the quality of performance, or there is. Are we willing to say that it's just a subjective matter?

"Hey Joey (5 years old), paint a portrait of grandma"... = not objectively inferior to Singer Sargent...

So we can take something like the Godfather or The Seventh Seal or something and compare it to Jack & Jill and conclude that, no, there is no objective difference in quality there. Adam Sandler can't be said to be any worse of an actor than Brando or Von Sydow.

Sorry, I don't agree that all art is completely subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
It doesn't stop at the Academy awards, or film making, though, The BAFTAS, The Brits, The Ivors, The Grammys....They are all insignificant....
Whether or not the awards have significance is of course a separate issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
and it's not something which is new, Marlon Brando saw through it years ago, as did many others.
If you refer to him declining to accept the Oscar award then that had as far as I know absolutely nothing do with how he viewed awards in general, and instead was based on how Hollywood treated minorities.

So even in the good old days when life was simpler, there were Social Justice Warriors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
However, the crass and shallow nature of such 'accolades' should not detract from the fact that a lot of hard work goes into EVERY film made....and that there really are still some actors, directors, producers, musicians etc out there who really do have integrity.
The former is clearly not true. The latter is clearly true.
Old 25th May 2019
  #236
Here for the gear
 

I watched Ex-Machina for the first time the other night.
I was totally captivated by it.
Turing test vs a robot who uses her “feminine” charms for self advancement.
Was it just me?
Old 25th May 2019
  #237
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

Sorry, I don't agree that all art is completely subjective.
I have had so many long winded late night alcohol driven debates over this question.
I agree.
Especially about music but it applies to all creative endeavour.
I guess it is subjective to a point but a lot of people have never read a good book or played an instrument so it’s hard to accept that everyone’s opinion is as valid as the next.
Very unpalatable viewpoint I know.
I honestly know people who have never read a book in their entire life.
They tend to be the same ones that argue that good art is “a matter of opinion”
Old 25th May 2019
  #238
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think we're back to the question of whether the performance of the Rites of Spring by a high school orchestra can be called objectively inferior to that of the London Symphony Orchestra, for example. Tough choice to make, no? Either there is no objective difference in the quality of performance, or there is. Are we willing to say that it's just a subjective matter?

"Hey Joey (5 years old), paint a portrait of grandma"... = not objectively inferior to Singer Sargent...

So we can take something like the Godfather or The Seventh Seal or something and compare it to Jack & Jill and conclude that, no, there is no objective difference in quality there. Adam Sandler can't be said to be any worse of an actor than Brando or Von Sydow.

Sorry, I don't agree that all art is completely subjective.



Whether or not the awards have significance is of course a separate issue.



If you refer to him declining to accept the Oscar award then that had as far as I know absolutely nothing do with how he viewed awards in general, and instead was based on how Hollywood treated minorities.

So even in the good old days when life was simpler, there were Social Justice Warriors...



The former is clearly not true. The latter is clearly true.
I disagree with you on pretty much every point you have made.....The "High School Orchestra" point you make is one of technical proficiency, not artistic validity.

'Joeys' painting of grandma compared to John Sargent's? I stand by what I said, it is subjective....I personally do not like Sargent's work therefore, of the two, I would probably go for 5 year old Joey's.

The Godfather? I think it is a work of genius, but I know several people who view it as a contrived piece of self indulgent ****.

....And why should Adam Sandler be seen as any worse than Brando?....Don't get me wrong, I think that Marlon Brando was brilliant, but there is a lot of snobbery involved in relation to acting, a lot of 'sacred cows'...Laurence Olivier, for example, I thought was awful, I never understood the praise heaped upon him.....But that's just me, what do I know?.....It's called subjectivity, and ALL art is just that.

In fact your post is a perfect example of subjectivity, it is merely YOUR opinion, just as my post is merely mine.
Old 25th May 2019
  #239
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
I disagree with you on pretty much every point you have made.....The "High School Orchestra" point you make is one of technical proficiency, not artistic validity.
So you can be a great artist yet lack technical proficiency when performing that piece of music?

I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
'Joeys' painting of grandma compared to John Sargent's? I stand by what I said, it is subjective....I personally do not like Sargent's work therefore, of the two, I would probably go for 5 year old Joey's.
It's not about what you "like". "Like" is one thing, objective quality another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
It's called subjectivity, and ALL art is just that.

In fact your post is a perfect example of subjectivity, it is merely YOUR opinion, just as my post is merely mine.
No, you're wrong.
Old 25th May 2019
  #240
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
So you can be a great artist yet lack technical proficiency when performing that piece of music?

I beg to differ.



It's not about what you "like". "Like" is one thing, objective quality another.



No, you're wrong.
Yes, of course "you can be a great artist yet lack technical proficiency''...I can't believe you even question that.

If Neil Young or Bob Dylan were on 'The X Factor' or 'American Idol' they wouldn't get past the first round, why? Because they are not great artists? No, they wouldn't get past the first round because they are not 'proficient singers' That is why talent shows, like award ceremonies, mean **** all.

Art is not about "objective quality" and if you really believe otherwise then I'm afraid it is you who is wrong.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump