The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your movie reviews
Old 29th March 2019
  #181
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Anybody ever see "The Innocents" scary - had to see it in film school back in the day. There is nothing horrid or gross just a scary in your mind fright. Based on 'Turn of the Screw' I think
Yes!!!! brilliant film, very atmospheric, Deborah Kerr gave a great performance.

Another early atmospheric (And it scared the **** out of me as a youngster) was 'Les Diaboliques' with Simone Signoret....I think a remake has been released but I haven't seen it.....The original was fantastic.
Old 29th March 2019
  #182
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Based on 'Turn of the Screw' I think
They announced a second season of Haunting at Hill House, and it's supposed to be based on this as well. I'm really excited to see this adaptation. There are moments from the first season that have just stuck with me like The Bent-Neck Lady.
Old 29th March 2019
  #183
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Innocents -- neat film.

Anybody see Pi? the math film....? I have too!!!!!!!!! B&W

"The Gift" was a fun French film edgy funny

WOW 'Les Diaboliques' with Simone Signoret haha scare scare

What was that film... about a billionaire who wanted to see how poor people lived... got in hobo clothes... and something crazy happened by the RR tracks that change his life for good? Xlent
Old 30th March 2019
  #184
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Innocents -- neat film.

Anybody see Pi? the math film....? I have too!!!!!!!!! B&W

"The Gift" was a fun French film edgy funny

WOW 'Les Diaboliques' with Simone Signoret haha scare scare

What was that film... about a billionaire who wanted to see how poor people lived... got in hobo clothes... and something crazy happened by the RR tracks that change his life for good? Xlent
I saw Pi and I believe I saw the sequel as well. Excellent films IMO.
Old 31st March 2019
  #185
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I didn't know Pi had a sequel. First one is a classic.

Fell asleep on Carnival of Souls last night. I love that movie to pieces, but I was watching a version of it with color added in. The bright coloration distracted from the freakiness of that movie, so it was really easy to sleep through.
Old 1st April 2019
  #186
Lives for gear
 

I watched Anna and the Apocalypse, or tried to. But it turned out it's basically a zombie movie musical, which sounds like it might work in a funny quirky way. It doesn't. Or didn't for as long as I could bear it (I started skipping through it rather quickly). The music was forgettable, the story/characters boring, and I'm not into gore anyway.
Old 1st April 2019
  #187
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I've got Into The Spiderverse at home (my friend bought the 4k and gave me the BluRay version that came with it). Meant to watch it this weekend, but ended up buried under schoolwork because I procrastinated too much. The only thing I saw this weekend was the beginning of Ernest Scared Stupid before I fell asleep on it.
Old 5th April 2019
  #188
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I could have sworn I had written reviews for when I was knee-deep in my Jean Rollin obsession, but I can't seem to find them to quote. :-/

Anywho, late last year, I was cruising Amazon for the word "goth" (it's vague, but it works when finding something appealing to me) and stumbled on The Goth Box. It's a box set with the movies Daughter of Darkness, The Iron Rose, and Burke and Hare. I YouTubed trailers, didn't find much appeal in "Daughter of Darkness" or "Burke and Hare", but "The Iron Rose" really stood out to me. It was presented as a beautiful French art film with a gothic setting. Did some research on the director, and was absolutely fascinated by his works. So not only did I buy The Goth Box, I also picked up Jean Rollin: The Vampire Films which contains his first four movies, The Rape of the Vampire, The Nude Vampire, The Shiver of the Vampire, and Requiem for a Vampire. My wife was even kind enough to buy me The Demoniacs for Christmas to help fuel my Jean Rollin obsession.

But then I started actually watching them...

The first four (the ones in "The Vampire Films" boxset) were, as one may guess... about vampires! They were neat story ideas, one about two women brought in as slaves for a vampire, one with a cult that feeds vampires in hopes of becoming vampires themselves, etc. The biggest problem was that they were sooooo low budget, and it showed. The acting was atrocious, too. Acting is usually harder to judge when it comes to foreign films, but when someone that is "dead" is rolling down some stairs in a very deliberate way, it's pretty obvious that they can't act. Needless to say, I was disappointed by these movies. After I finished the fourth one, my Chucky boxset came in and I put the whole Jean Rollin thing on hold indefinitely. Well last night, I had some time to watch a movie for the first time in a while, and I had some box sets that I still needed to work through. So it was time to attack "The Goth Box", and I started with the movie that started this whole Jean Rollin mess in the first place, "The Iron Rose".

I remember the trailer making it look like a great movie, but after the four vampire movies, I was prepared for a stinker. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Everything comes together in this movie; the story is intriguing, it's paced well, the acting is superb, the cinematography is haunting, the script was great, and the aesthetic was perfect. And, this is the first movie Jean Rollin made that wasn't a vampire film. "The Iron Rose" is about a couple that meet at a party, and then go on a date the next day, riding bicycles, frolicking, and then going to a huge cemetery. After finding an isolated place in the cemetery to make love, they come out to find that the sun has gone down, that they are lost, and they can't find the front gate. From there, it's a rollercoaster of fear, anger, and malaise. It's a beautiful film, and has found its way into my mental list of greatest movies.

TL;DR: Avoid the first few Jean Rollin films, but if you're into more arty films, check out The Iron Rose.
Old 6th April 2019
  #189
Lives for gear
 

Awakenings. Haven't seen in a long time, holds up very well. Two of the best performances ever IMO from Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro as they both play characters TOTALLY opposite of their norm......the crazy wise-cracking Williams is a socially awkward, totally straight-laced guy and the tough guy DeNiro is basically an innocent child. Topping it all is that it's a true story.
Old 6th April 2019
  #190
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Awakenings. Haven't seen in a long time, holds up very well. Two of the best performances ever IMO from Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro as they both play characters TOTALLY opposite of their norm......the crazy wise-cracking Williams is a socially awkward, totally straight-laced guy and the tough guy DeNiro is basically an innocent child. Topping it all is that it's a true story.
'One Hour Photo' is another film in which Robin Williams delivers a brilliant performance.
Old 6th April 2019
  #191
Gear Addict
 

Bohemian Rhapsody:
The studio scenes are not worth it. Every character is flat. The main actor is too pretty and fragile looking for the role (although not bad actor). Horrible flat boring dialogues. Last scene is so digital you can see the videogame like hands raised in the air and it made me want to vomit.
The fact that the film went through different cast choices, two directors and full of production hiccups is evident from the final result which feels like they were undecided about everything. It is nor rock n roll nor family oriented- it's nothing.
Other then that not too bad
Old 6th April 2019
  #192
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody:
The studio scenes are not worth it. Every character is flat. The main actor is too pretty and fragile looking for the role (although not bad actor). Horrible flat boring dialogues. Last scene is so digital you can see the videogame like hands raised in the air and it made me want to vomit.
The fact that the film went through different cast choices, two directors and full of production hiccups is evident from the final result which feels like they were undecided about everything. It is nor rock n roll nor family oriented- it's nothing.
Other then that not too bad
They always seem to get the hair BADLY wrong in these rock biopics too.....ironically the only 'rockumentary' I've seen in which the wigs are convincing is 'This Is Spinal Tap'
Old 6th April 2019
  #193
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
They always seem to get the hair BADLY wrong in these rock biopics too.....ironically the only 'rockumentary' I've seen in which the wigs are convincing is 'This Is Spinal Tap'
I'm not even sure they wear wigs on Spinal actually hahhah! Maybe that's why!
Old 8th May 2019
  #194
Lives for gear
 

The Intepreter - Nicole Kidman stars as an interpreter for the U.N. Basically an African country is in political turmoil and it spills over into the U.N. when she overhears an assassination plot. Pretty predictable fare, but not bad, worth watching if you want a political thriller action kind of thing. Sean Penn wasn't a good casting choice as the co-star, but he's not terrible. They did avoid some of the more worn tropes for such a movie, but more than enough remain.
Old 8th May 2019
  #195
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Zootopia: another outstanding animation flick. The DMV scene alone is worth the watch, lmao (anyone who's had to endure the painfully slow stupidity of this haven for knuckle-draggers will appreciate it).
I thought the DMV like bureaucracy sceen in Jupiter accending was really funny.
Sparks in Glactic avocate bob's head was the the detail that got me.

Shoot em ups: John Wick is great

Game of thrones: 80 hour movie where you never know who is going to die.

I am begining to like Sam Rockwell as an actor: I frist noticed him as crewman #6 in Galaxy quest (Great if your know star treck, dont bother if you dont). He was great in "Mr. right"

Spaceballs is funny if you like star wars.

If you like classic switch and bait comedy, check out "Oscar". Stalone is a gangster named snaps. It's very funny. Very old by modern terms.

The best movies ever made: Wizzard of ozz, Dr zhivago, Citizen Cane, lawrence of arabia. If you do not watch those four, you will not get about 10% of all the movie referances made in other movies.

Animated: Flushed away, and Over the Hedge are two that often get overlooked becasue Pixare did not make them. Both are great fun for the entire family.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 8th May 2019 at 04:10 AM..
Old 8th May 2019
  #196
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I am begining to like Sam Rockwell as an actor: I frist noticed him as crewman #6 in Galaxy quest (Great if your know start treck, dont bother if you dont). He was great in "Mr. right"
If you haven't seen it then I recommend "Moon" with Sam. Good.
Old 8th May 2019
  #197
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
If you haven't seen it then I recommend "Moon" with Sam. Good.
I wached it because of him. was too depressing for me.
Old 8th May 2019
  #198
Lives for gear
 

Really? I thought it was quite good.. and not too depressing ;-)
Old 8th May 2019
  #199
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Really? I thought it was quite good.. and not too depressing ;-)
I agree, 'Moon' was an excellent film.....Directed (and written I think?) by Duncan Jones, proving that imagination and vision seem to run in the Jone's family.

Sam Rockwell was also excellent in 'The Green Mile' and 'Frost vs Nixon'
Old 8th May 2019
  #200
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Moon was a great movie.

Since the last time this thread got bumped, I've seen a couple movies. Antman and the Wasp was okay. The first one was much much better, I thought. It was nice to see Michelle Pfeiffer looking as gorgeous as ever, though. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse surprised me. I've always been a big fan of Spidey movies, but it's felt to me like the whole franchise went to trash after the Sam Raimi trilogy was released. (Yes, I also include Homecoming in my dislike.) This one got it right though, and for the geeks out there, it's not far off from the Brian Michael Bendis comics. I loved every moment of this movie and it's snuck its way into my heart as my favorite Spider-Man movie. THWIP THWIP!!! I finished The Goth Box set. Daughter of Darkness is a bleak noir movie about a girl that gets accused of being a slut just because she's so pretty. It takes some strange turns. Interesting movie, though not memorable. Same with Burke and Hare. It's an interesting biopic about a pair of graverobbers that find success in selling bodies to a local university. Not really a great movie, but good entertainment. Outside of those, I recently binged Gravity Falls. The first season is kind of a typical kid's show procedural, but for the second season, they had to pack in a lot of story in a short period of time, so it moves quickly and is very intense. I'm a sucker for any childrens' shows about the apocalypse, so it easily swayed me. I now have a stuffed pig named "Waddles" like in the show.
Old 8th May 2019
  #201
Lives for gear
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 

Mortal Engines

Film took me completely by surprise. Rather unusual premise.
Old 8th May 2019
  #202
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

If you liked moon you might like high life 2019, nothing to do with drugs sadly.


I watched US last night, it was decent, nothing more. 6.8
Avengers End Game, very good but not quite up to the hype for me. 9
Hereditary, very good, one of the better horror films I've seen for a while. 9

If you're into horror, and haven't seen "it follows", you should. Nothing to do with stephen king.
Prisoners, Enemy by Denis Villeneuve are amazing too.

So er...can I get paid now?
Old 8th May 2019
  #203
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
I watched US last night, it was decent, nothing more. 6.8
Avengers End Game, very good but not quite up to the hype for me. 9
Hereditary, very good, one of the better horror films I've seen for a while. 9

If you're into horror, and haven't seen "it follows", you should. Nothing to do with stephen king.

So er...can I get paid now?
Us is one I'm looking forward to, so I'm sad that it wasn't great. I was a big fan of Get Out. I especially liked its original ending, which really ought to be put back in in a future director's cut. It was very Night of the Living Dead. I feel like the theatrical ending kind of misses the point of the whole movie.

Hereditary is one of my all-time fave movies. A lot of horror "fans" hate it because of the slow pacing, but it felt like a call-back to the classic horror movies for me. Plus the scenes where Toni Collette was on the ceiling (you know the ones!) were so unnerving.

It Follows was pretty good. I loved its nihilistic themes.

You got paid from the satisfaction of doing something great for the cinematic community.
Old 8th May 2019
  #204
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Us is one I'm looking forward to, so I'm sad that it wasn't great. I was a big fan of Get Out. I especially liked its original ending, which really ought to be put back in in a future director's cut. It was very Night of the Living Dead. I feel like the theatrical ending kind of misses the point of the whole movie.

Hereditary is one of my all-time fave movies. A lot of horror "fans" hate it because of the slow pacing, but it felt like a call-back to the classic horror movies for me. Plus the scenes where Toni Collette was on the ceiling (you know the ones!) were so unnerving.

It Follows was pretty good. I loved its nihilistic themes.

You got paid from the satisfaction of doing something great for the cinematic community.
I wasn't blown away by Get Out, it was well above average and I enjoyed it, but an oscar? no, not from me I would say I enjoyed US a bit more, it was quite a bit darker so i think if you really liked Get Out, you'll probablt enjoy this just as much, maybe more.

I think Horror is the worst and best genre at the same time, because the majority of it is terrible, absolutely terrible, and even the AAA is often quite bad, imo. The good ones that make you actually afraid of things and live in your memory forever make up for it.

That reminds me, three korean films, The Wailing,Burning and I Saw the Devil. If you're into Gaspar Noe/David Lynchish Horror you have to see them. They're pretty much on the same level as those people. Just really well shot and made films.
Old 9th May 2019
  #205
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Saw another one recently that I can't believe I forgot about watching: Goosebumps 2 The first Goosebumps is quirky, fun, and cute. The second one is a living garbage fire. Avoid, even if you have kids.
Old 9th May 2019
  #206
I think the film "Downsizing" has been very underrated and possibly misunderstood.

It's just totally dumb from the get-go and that's the point of it.

One of my recent favorites..
Old 13th May 2019
  #207
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Finally saw The Incredibles 2 yesterday. It was pretty decent. Nowhere near as good as the first and a little on the predictable side, but still entertaining.
Old 14th May 2019
  #208
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Haven't seen it, take your word that it's good, but re the hating you mention, part of it might be that none of them look even remotely like the characters they're supposed to be portraying. And frankly (sorry if this is so politically incorrect for our politically correct-obsessed society) but I also don't get this recent insistence on making one of the FF black - since they aren't. What's next, Thor the Hispanic? A white Black Panther? A Godfather sequel where they're suddenly all French? ugh. f.
So... My comment denouncing this comment as racist has been removed, but not the actual original racist comment?

Superheroes never actually existed so they were never of any color. If someone has a problem with a superhero portrayed as non white they clearly have problems with other identities.

This poster has a problem with race and I'm not OK with that neither the moderators should be. If the moderators decide it's OK to have these kind of posts on this site I'm not OK with that and will keep insisting that you remove these comments or leave mine as well.

NOT COOL MODERATORS - PLEASE FIX THIS NOW
Old 14th May 2019
  #209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Finally saw The Incredibles 2 yesterday. It was pretty decent. Nowhere near as good as the first and a little on the predictable side, but still entertaining.

I was annoyed they hijacked Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul cast members to essentially play the same characters. I mean BB and BCS were good, but for a family cartoon movie? Really?
Old 14th May 2019
  #210
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I was annoyed they hijacked Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul cast members to essentially play the same characters. I mean BB and BCS were good, but for a family cartoon movie? Really?
I kinda get it just for the fact that there are more adults watching family movies than there used to be. They want to drop in a few things for the adults. Just look at the insane amount of innuendo in Spongebob Squarepants. ...come to think of it, I don't know of any kids that like Spongebob, just adults.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump