The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A lot of great recommendation, thank you!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
I watched this one last evening. For a moment I thought it was the older Dawn of Justice but it's entirely different (2021)

Anyways it was a great movie with awesome actors and the special effects were top notch! 👍

It's a long one though, 4 hours! 😮

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
I'm super stoked! Today I learned that Mortal Kombat 2021 is being released this month!

I love Mortal Kombat and have always been a super fan. Some of the older films are a little cheesy but I enjoy them just the same.

Can't wait!

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
I'm super stoked! Today I learned that Mortal Kombat 2021 is being released this month!

I love Mortal Kombat and have always been a super fan. Some of the older films are a little cheesy but I enjoy them just the same.

Can't wait!
I'm stoked, too! The first MK movie was a huge part of my childhood. I was obsessed with the soundtrack especially. And then a lot of the later games got really intense with the mythologies. If you get a chance, the PS2 game Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. It's got an RPG game in there that lets you explore the different realms and learn the mythology a bit better. It's absolutely crazy how much has been written into this storyline over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
I'm stoked, too! The first MK movie was a huge part of my childhood. I was obsessed with the soundtrack especially. And then a lot of the later games got really intense with the mythologies. If you get a chance, the PS2 game Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. It's got an RPG game in there that lets you explore the different realms and learn the mythology a bit better. It's absolutely crazy how much has been written into this storyline over the years.
I have two CD's of the MK soundtrack. Great music for lifting weights! Back in the day I had a MK PC game, it was loads of fun but it came and went as computer technology advanced and I could no longer play it due to newer versions of Windows not supporting the program. :-(
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have two CD's of the MK soundtrack. Great music for lifting weights! Back in the day I had a MK PC game, it was loads of fun but it came and went as computer technology advanced and I could no longer play it due to newer versions of Windows not supporting the program. :-(
I've still got my PS3 and one of the games I have on it is the MK Arcade Trilogy (the actual three games, not the weird Trilogy game that came out in '96 where they lumped everything together.) I'll boot it up occasionally and tbh, they haven't aged that well. I might just be saying that because I'm bitter about how I've always sucked at fighting games, though.

Edit: Did some research and the director is new to cinema, but he did make a ton of cinematic-style commercials, a lot of them about or involving video games. You can tell he's really got a passion for games, so hopefully that translates to film. There's one he did that was a Duracell commercial involving some kids running around a hospital pretending to be rebel forces in Star Wars, and the action scenes were great. Also, I'm hoping he brought in the same cinematographer he used in the commercials because the look and style of them was really slick.

Last edited by Derp; 4 days ago at 04:07 PM..
Quote:
I've still got my PS3 and one of the games I have on it is the MK Arcade Trilogy (the actual three games, not the weird Trilogy game that came out in '96 where they lumped everything together.) I'll boot it up occasionally and tbh, they haven't aged that well. I might just be saying that because I'm bitter about how I've always sucked at fighting games, though.

Edit: Did some research and the director is new to cinema, but he did make a ton of cinematic-style commercials, a lot of them about or involving video games. You can tell he's really got a passion for games, so hopefully that translates to film. There's one he did that was a Duracell commercial involving some kids running around a hospital pretending to be rebel forces in Star Wars, and the action scenes were great. Also, I'm hoping he brought in the same cinematographer he used in the commercials because the look and style of them was really slick.
Pretty kool.

I have to create an HBO account. I think I'll watch the film at home instead of taking a chance and going to a movie theater. I'll post my feedback on what I thought of the film. I'm pretty sure I'll be digging all the sounds and special effects!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Pretty kool.

I have to create an HBO account. I think I'll watch the film at home instead of taking a chance and going to a movie theater. I'll post my feedback on what I thought of the film. I'm pretty sure I'll be digging all the sounds and special effects!
I'm vaxxxed, so I'm thinking with all the showings that are going to be at my area theater that this might be my first theater outing in quite a few years. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was Deadpool 2? So even before the shutdown, it had been a while.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
I'm vaxxxed, so I'm thinking with all the showings that are going to be at my area theater that this might be my first theater outing in quite a few years. I think the last movie I saw in a theater was Deadpool 2? So even before the shutdown, it had been a while.
I would love to see it in the theater but not vaxxed yet.

I'm pretty stoked though! I just subscribed to HBO Max. Godzilla vs King Kong is showing. A definite must see for me as I'm a Godzilla fan.

The new Dune movie will be streaming as well when it's released in theaters! Can't wait for that one as well. It feels like I hit the movie jackpot and it's free with my cable/internet provider.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The new Dune movie
I'll probably see that one in theaters, too. Huge Dune nerd here. I've read the Frank Herbert books and have all four Dune movies on DVD as well as the steelbook director's cut of David Lynch's version. I absolutely love the Dune universe.
Quote:
I'll probably see that one in theaters, too. Huge Dune nerd here. I've read the Frank Herbert books and have all four Dune movies on DVD as well as the steelbook director's cut of David Lynch's version. I absolutely love the Dune universe.
I haven't read the books but have seen all the TV series and film. Outstanding storyline.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I haven't read the books but have seen all the TV series and film. Outstanding storyline.
Bruh!

It's cliche to say, but the books are better. There's so much in them that hasn't yet or cannot be translated to screen. That's why Jodorowsky's version ended up being so expensive before it was even filmed is that he was attempting the impossible. The movies are great, but the book is a whole other world. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy. Try to read it before the movie comes out so we can both critique it!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Bruh!

It's cliche to say, but the books are better. There's so much in them that hasn't yet or cannot be translated to screen. That's why Jodorowsky's version ended up being so expensive before it was even filmed is that he was attempting the impossible. The movies are great, but the book is a whole other world. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy. Try to read it before the movie comes out so we can both critique it!
Thanks mate! I'm looking forward to reading it.!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
I watched Godzilla vs Kong last night.

I have mixed feelings about this film, it was a bit meh combined with very good visuals. The story line copycats the theme of Journey to the Center of the Earth and it revolves on that. They also tossed in a mechanized Godzilla similar to the megabot concept in which Godzilla & King Kong joined forces against the mech moster. It was an entertaining nevertheless. I'm glad I didn't see this one in the theater.

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

The Expendables. Old guys killing people. The end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 ➡️
I saw the first film, are the others worth watchin'
Lives for gear

Quote:
I saw the first film, are the others worth watchin'

Sure if you feel like seeing people get shot in half and stuff blowing up. The explosions are the most believable part of the movie. Very nice explosions.
The Italian Stallion has aged better than Arnold or maybe he's had more plastic surgery than him. Hard to say. Hard to care really.

My favorite part was the beginning scene with the motorcycles. It was all down hill from there.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I watched Godzilla vs Kong last night.

I have mixed feelings about this film, it was a bit meh combined with very good visuals. The story line copycats the theme of Journey to the Center of the Earth and it revolves on that. They also tossed in a mechanized Godzilla similar to the megabot concept in which Godzilla & King Kong joined forces against the mech moster. It was an entertaining nevertheless. I'm glad I didn't see this one in the theater.
A good friend of mine worked on the 1998 Godzilla movie. It was actually not bad.
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:

Sure if you feel like seeing people get shot in half and stuff blowing up. The explosions are the most believable part of the movie. Very nice explosions.
The Italian Stallion has aged better than Arnold or maybe he's had more plastic surgery than him. Hard to say. Hard to care really.

My favorite part was the beginning scene with the motorcycles. It was all down hill from there.
I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't seen any of them yet. I grew up on classic action movies like Rambo and Cliffhanger, and The Expendables series is supposed to be a return to that with an emphasis on no CGI. I like explosions.

EDIT: I'm about to remedy that. The three movie set is only $7.50 on amazon.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm ashamed of myself that I haven't seen any of them yet. I grew up on classic action movies like Rambo and Cliffhanger, and The Expendables series is supposed to be a return to that with an emphasis on no CGI. I like explosions.

EDIT: I'm about to remedy that. The three movie set is only $7.50 on amazon.
You won't be disappointed with the explosions. The fight scenes are good too. Personally I enjoyed the chase scenes alot, they're some of the better ones I've seen in awhile.
If you only focus on the explosions, fights and chases it's a fun ride. Trying to like the characters or the storyline takes some work.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you only focus on the explosions, fights and chases it's a fun ride. Trying to like the characters or the storyline takes some work.
And that's what defined the classics. Like does anyone even remember the story in movies like Cobra? No, they just remember the knives, the gunfights, and that badass car.

Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
And that's what defined the classics. Like does anyone even remember the story in movies like Cobra? No, they just remember the knives, the gunfights, and that badass car.

IMO it's a good idea to collect these movies on dvd before they get memory-holed for toxic masculinity. War history movies and anything to do with American history and politics worth saving should be added too. Oh and comedies too, they're soon to be extinct.
Old 3 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
IMO it's a good idea to collect these movies on dvd before they get memory-holed for toxic masculinity. War history movies and anything to do with American history and politics worth saving should be added too. Oh and comedies too, they're soon to be extinct.

This is a recipe to have our posts nuked, but yeah, I agree. I'm far from being a man's man. I hate sports, know nothing about cars, pay someone else to take care of my lawn, and think beer is disgusting. But every once in a while, you just gotta sit down, scratch your balls, eat red meat that's still bleeding, enjoy a hardy whiskey or bourbon on the rocks, and watch explosions. It ain't toxic masculinity my friend; It's good old-fashioned testosterone-fueled expression. Like Walt Whitman said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Myself
"The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me, he complains of my gab and my loitering.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me,
It flings my likeness after the rest and true as any on the shadow’d wilds,
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air, I shake my white locks at the runaway sun,
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you."
Old 2 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is a recipe to have our posts nuked, but yeah, I agree. I'm far from being a man's man. I hate sports, know nothing about cars, pay someone else to take care of my lawn, and think beer is disgusting. But every once in a while, you just gotta sit down, scratch your balls, eat red meat that's still bleeding, enjoy a hardy whiskey or bourbon on the rocks, and watch explosions. It ain't toxic masculinity my friend; It's good old-fashioned testosterone-fueled expression. Like Walt Whitman said:
I get posts nuked frequently. It only bothers me when they crapcan an entire thread and then it's only because I feel bad for all the other posters who lose their posts too.

I like masculinity to the extent that I grill food with charcoal while drinking beer, ride motorcycles stupidly fast on occasion, rough house with the dog, and when walking through the bad parts of town manage to make potential muggers and thugs clear the way for me. I can be rather menacing when I want to be. But I never liked team sports. Fine with stuff like track where its up to me alone but never played well with others. Especially jocks that tormented me in high school. They usually had to be sent to the nurses office while I pulled the it's an honest accident routine.
As a kid stripping cars and building pipe bombs was more my thing than picking fights or trying to impress girls. But I do likes me some gratuitous violence on TV sometimes. I was real good at it back when I played computer games. I had a kill/death ratio that was legendary in Mechwarrior League. The toughest time with it for me was going into the service. In the Military there's the whole physical readiness mentality and when I was in the Navy they would put Marine's in charge of our PT. That was a bit much. In hindsight though I think it gave me some positive lessons. After awhile you actually come to appreciate that big Jarhead running next to you yelling at you every step of the way because you realize he doesn't want you to fail. He's on your side.
But I never got that feeling of power from shooting a gun like guys get. For me it was all about cool, calm accuracy. It didn't get get my rocks off like that.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…