The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 23rd December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
That looks like a must have.....I still clearly recall having my mind blown by the William Shatner episode.....
A lot of future greats appear in Twilight Zone. Like the two-fer episode with both Elizabeth Montgomery and Charles Bronson.
Old 23rd December 2018 | Show parent
Yeah, It's kool to see actors from the past specially when they look so young. On one of the episodes, I spotted Dick York from the Bewitched TV series.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
First one I ever saw was the Robert Redford one (yeah that show is the all-time champ of who's who types in a series - most of them before they went on to bigger fame). It was kind of eerie but not in a horror or over-the-top way, which was it's hallmark. Just great stuff.

Back to the guests, just off the top of my head, those mentioned already plus:

Mickey Rooney
Burgess Meredith
Jack Klugman
Ross Martin
Agnes Moorehead

On and on it goes, I'm sure there's a list on the net.
Old 26th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Tonight I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's a great thriller packed with suspense and a wild twist at the end.
General FYI that is billed as "horror" not "thriller" which to me are 2 very diff animals. Sorry not at all a horror fan but always up for a good thriller.

On the opposite side saw "Bolt" today. Really good animated film about a dog who is a TV star along with his master but gets lost and tries to find his way back. John Travolta is the lead voice but thankfully you wouldn't know it Doesn't have that stereotypical voice.
Gear Guru

Quote:
In my opinion, this is mandatory viewing for anybody that wants to get into writing of any sort. Not only are there a lot of ideas in this series that have been used elsewhere in TV/cinema, but there's a lot of ideas that weren't fully tapped. It's a very inspirational series.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Guru

2036 Origin Unknown was pretty good. An AI takes charge of investigating a mysterious object on Mars, and things start to get a bit weird for the AI and its human 'supervisor'. When you type it out like that, it sounds like a ripoff of 2001, but it goes in a different direction. Really satisfying ending, too. If you're into more hardcore sci-fi, you'll probably like this oen.

I rewatched Annihilation because my mom wanted to see it, and I didn't have much else going on anyway. It was still very good the second time around. I'd recommend it, especially if you like your science fiction on the cerebral side.

Feels like I spent the whole Christmas holiday on Netflix, but other than the above and binging Sick Note, I didn't really watch anything noteworthy.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I rewatched Annihilation because my mom wanted to see it, and I didn't have much else going on anyway. It was still very good the second time around. I'd recommend it, especially if you like your science fiction on the cerebral side.
We'll agree to disagree on that one. Really it's mostly a horror film with sci fi as a token backdrop.
Quote:
2036 Origin Unknown was pretty good. An AI takes charge of investigating a mysterious object on Mars, and things start to get a bit weird for the AI and its human 'supervisor'. When you type it out like that, it sounds like a ripoff of 2001, but it goes in a different direction. Really satisfying ending, too. If you're into more hardcore sci-fi, you'll probably like this oen.

Feels like I spent the whole Christmas holiday on Netflix, but other than the above and binging Sick Note, I didn't really watch anything noteworthy.
Thanks for the critique of Origin Unknown. I'll give it a chance. I started watching but never intended to finish it. Now, I want see the ending.

I loved the ending of Annihilation. My mind was blown!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
General FYI that is billed as "horror" not "thriller" which to me are 2 very diff animals. Sorry not at all a horror fan but always up for a good thriller..
I think it's billed as a horror movie instead of a thriller to try to draw the connection between the previous movie which was a more horror-ish flick. Ultimately, it's more about the struggle of man vs. man than man vs. huge unstoppable monster.

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree on that one. Really it's mostly a horror film with sci fi as a token backdrop.
It's okay to have differing opinions, even if yours is wrong.

Quote:
Thanks for the critique of Origin Unknown. I'll give it a chance. I started watching but never intended to finish it. Now, I want see the ending.
I could see that being the case. It's much more of a slow burner than most science fiction that's been released in the past few years. In a way, it reminds me more of the older generation of sci-fi like A Boy and His Dog or The Colossus Project.

Quote:
I loved the ending of Annihilation. My mind was blown!
What impressed me the most was the sound design. The voice of the *spoiler* is so foreign and yet organic at the same time. That and the "Help Me!" scream of the bear was amazing. Everything about that movie was so beautiful. It's totally the *spoiler* that you almost wish would happen to us all.
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's okay to have differing opinions, even if yours is wrong.
If you scan the internet you'll find it described as horror/sci fi mix almost everywhere. But as you say everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong I just thought it was worth point out it has horror elements to it for those who (like me) are not a fan of the genre.
Old 27th December 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you scan the internet you'll find it described as horror/sci fi mix almost everywhere. But as you say everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong I just thought it was worth point out it has horror elements to it for those who (like me) are not a fan of the genre.
Even still, genre is subjective. Like Star Wars. Most people consider it science fiction. But when you get down to the nitty gritty, it's pretty much a fantasy-themed spaghetti western.

Anyway, back on topic, I saw an awesome romantic comedy last night. Hellraiser: Judgement. As much as I'm a fan of the first Hellraiser, I gave up on the sequels a long time ago because they're mostly just bad. For those that don't know the story, Dimension/Lionsgate keep releasing crappy Hellraiser sequels because it allows them to hang on to the license while they put together this remake/reboot that they've been threatening for years. It's the same reason why every few years, a new Fantastic Four or Spider-Man comes out: It's all about hanging on to that license. There's some moderate hype about this installment of Hellraiser, though. Been meaning to catch it on Netflix, but I found it for five bucks at Walmart. I think first of all, for this rom-com, you really have to go into it with an open mind. What I mean by that is that the budget is ridiculously low, so they had to get very creative with what little they could afford. So visually, it's not as visceral as others in the Hellraiser series. Where it shines is in the storyline. It's taken some ideas from that were presented in one of the comics, and just ran with it in a really cool direction. It feels very close to another Clive Barker book "Mister B. Gone" in the way that the endings of both play out. If I had to rank it, this would be the best Hellraiser since Hell on Earth. As far as how it compares to other romantic comedies, again it's not as visually compelling due to budget limitations, but the acting is (mostly) pretty good, and the plot is fantastic.
Old 28th December 2018 | Show parent
Tonight, I watched Fant4Stic. It's really Fantastic 4, the 2015 version. People like to call this title: Fant Four Stick. I always got a laugh when peeps call it that. It's the third or fourth time that I've watched it. I actually enjoyed the movie.

Not sure why, but people love to hate on this movie on YouTube. It has a decent story line and the special effects are quite good. The music is cinematic quality and it sounds good for a superhero movie.

Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear
Haven't seen it, take your word that it's good, but re the hating you mention, part of it might be that none of them look even remotely like the characters they're supposed to be portraying. And frankly (sorry if this is so politically incorrect for our politically correct-obsessed society) but I also don't get this recent insistence on making one of the FF black - since they aren't. What's next, Thor the Hispanic? A white Black Panther? A Godfather sequel where they're suddenly all French? ugh. Faithfulness to the source material people, it's not hard.

Anyway.....

Deadpool 2, if you liked the first you should like the second. Shamelessly silly and because of that I think one of the rare films where I can tolerate some gore/graphic stuff.
Gear Guru

I saw Bird Box on a whim last night. That movie was very unsatisfying. Basically it was trying REALLY hard to be The Road in that it's a movie about the people involved, and not the incident itself, so there's no explanation as to what caused everything to go nuts. It works well with The Road because 1.) it was the first of its kind and 2.) you were so wrapped up in the survival of the man and his child that you kind of forget that they're in the middle of an apocalypse. With Bird Box, you get an unoriginal idea paired with an INTENTIONALLY unlikable character. Literally, the exposition goes out of its way to make Sandra Bullock's character into somebody you don't want to like, and we're so unattached to the kids that they don't even get names, even from their own mother. (They're referred to as "Boy" and "Girl".) Sandra Bullock doesn't bring a lot of life to her character anyway. John Malkovich's character, while a complete and total jerk, at least incites some sort of emotion in the viewer. The ending is just a blind mess, too. I really can't recommend this movie to anybody.

Quote:
Tonight, I watched Fant4Stic. It's really Fantastic 4, the 2015 version. People like to call this title: Fant Four Stick. I always got a laugh when peeps call it that. It's the third or fourth time that I've watched it. I actually enjoyed the movie.

Not sure why, but people love to hate on this movie on YouTube. It has a decent story line and the special effects are quite good. The music is cinematic quality and it sounds good for a superhero movie.

I haven't seen this one yet, but honestly, I liked Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Actually, the superhero flick that gets a ton of hate that I really enjoyed was Green Lantern. I don't know why I enjoy that movie so much. Even Ryan Reynolds pokes fun of it in the Deadpool movies.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Funny you mentioned I just re-watched that. Mixed feelings; it starts out really well but gradually over the course of the movie it does a slow gradual downhill slide...and the ending was terrible, one of those "?? That's it??" things. Still it is sadly the best FF movie.
Quote:
Haven't seen it, take your word that it's good, but re the hating you mention, part of it might be that none of them look even remotely like the characters they're supposed to be portraying. And frankly (sorry if this is so politically incorrect for our politically correct-obsessed society) but I also don't get this recent insistence on making one of the FF black - since they aren't. What's next, Thor the Hispanic? A white Black Panther? A Godfather sequel where they're suddenly all French? ugh. Faithfulness to the source material people, it's not hard.

Anyway.....

Deadpool 2, if you liked the first you should like the second. Shamelessly silly and because of that I think one of the rare films where I can tolerate some gore/graphic stuff.
Oh Yes, I bought Deadpool 1 and 2. I loved both movies. The first time I watched the first Deadpool I didn't like it because I just caught bits and pieces of the movie and I didn't watch it from the beginning but yeah, awesome films.

Quote:
I saw Bird Box on a whim last night. That movie was very unsatisfying. Basically it was trying REALLY hard to be The Road in that it's a movie about the people involved, and not the incident itself, so there's no explanation as to what caused everything to go nuts. It works well with The Road because 1.) it was the first of its kind and 2.) you were so wrapped up in the survival of the man and his child that you kind of forget that they're in the middle of an apocalypse. With Bird Box, you get an unoriginal idea paired with an INTENTIONALLY unlikable character. Literally, the exposition goes out of its way to make Sandra Bullock's character into somebody you don't want to like, and we're so unattached to the kids that they don't even get names, even from their own mother. (They're referred to as "Boy" and "Girl".) Sandra Bullock doesn't bring a lot of life to her character anyway. John Malkovich's character, while a complete and total jerk, at least incites some sort of emotion in the viewer. The ending is just a blind mess, too. I really can't recommend this movie to anybody.

Actually, the superhero flick that gets a ton of hate that I really enjoyed was Green Lantern. I don't know why I enjoy that movie so much. Even Ryan Reynolds pokes fun of it in the Deadpool movies.
I loved Rise of the Silver Surfer, best special effects out of all three Fantastic 4 movies. One of the three I didn't like as much due to the stone man looking as if he's wearing a rubber suit. The film makers took the cheap way out on that one. LOL
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not an out and out fan of the 'Superhero' genre......but I sort of stumbled across 'Chronicle' on T.V. and I was completely drawn in.

Gave a nice twist on the usual superpower narrative......thought the acting was really good too.
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Guru

I second the Deadpool recommendations. Loved the first one, and when I picked up the second one, it was at a point where I was "over" superheros, and I still laughed my ass off.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Guru

I spent a lot of time this weekend being a lazy bum:

Silver Linings Playbook - I was in the mood for a comedy and saw that this one had a lot of good ratings. It's pretty good. The plot twists are pretty predictable since they're standard romantic comedy fair, but the acting really sold it for me. If you're crazy, then these are your kind of people.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - This one gets my gold medal for the weekend. The plot is kind of a new one for the thriller genre: Two coroners are brought a body in the middle of the night, and are tasked with finding a cause of death for the Jane Doe. As they perform the autopsy, they find things about the body that don't quite add up, and things just get weirder. Trigger Warning: As the title indicates, this is a very graphic movie. If you can stomach it though, you're in for a treat as the story twists and turns in unpredictable ways. Not bad for a movie that takes place almost entirely in a basement morgue! Also, this is the first movie that I've seen with Brian Cox in the lead, and he does a great job commanding your attention.

The Lobster - This one is a VERY dark comedy. It's about a not-to-distant future where if you become single, you have a limited amount of time to find a mate before you're turned into an animal. Colin Farrell plays as a new arrival at a specialized hotel for singles looking to find their match. It's light on the comedy, but heavy on the dark. It's a very unusual movie, but the acting and story keep it together. Also, if you're a John C. Reilly fan, this is a rare opportunity to see him not trying to be a goofball, and he sells the part quite well. As much as I enjoyed this movie, it's a hard one to recommend because of its reliance on existentialist themes. There will be two kinds of people watching this movie, I think: Those that adore it, and those that become frustrated with it. I can't imagine any middle ground.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Bird Box
really enjoyed it. well done on all levels.
Old 31st December 2018 | Show parent
A few months ago I scored the James Bond Collection. It has 24 movies from 1962 - 2015. The older films have been remastered in HD and look great. The audio has also been enhanced.

It's a great deal on Amazon. Each movie costs about $2.80 USD. They are definitely worth it.

Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear
Can't go wrong w/James Bond (well except that one where they painted him as a sensitive wuss, what heroin junkie thought that was a good idea).
Old 1st January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... Great film starring the late great Ed Asner (aka Lou Grant). No politics.
I think Ed would be surprised to know of his death
Old 1st January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I think Ed would be surprised to know of his death
I was working at this audio-post place, and Asner was in to do a VO. The head tech, Ninja Bob Fitzgerald, sees Ed and says, "Hey, I dig your tee shirt." Asner says, "I dig yours. Swap?" And they shucked off right there in the lobby.

People who do things like that never die.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear
Ha, cool story. My bad; I could have sworn I read somewhere that he passed. Glad to know I was wrong. I like spunk.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Guru

Anyone else a fan of kid's movies? I know I come off as a horror freak and all. Escape From Planet Earth was a fun one I watched last night. Far from the greatest kiddie movie ever made (I think Pixar has a market on that whole category), and it was derivative in a lot of ways, but I had a good time watching it. Plus I have a soft spot for Brendan Fraser in all of his zaniness.
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear
I saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" the other night. Disney animation and sequel to "Wreck it Ralph." Not quite as good as the first one but still a worthy successor.
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Anyone else a fan of kid's movies? I know I come off as a horror freak and all. Escape From Planet Earth was a fun one I watched last night. Far from the greatest kiddie movie ever made (I think Pixar has a market on that whole category), and it was derivative in a lot of ways, but I had a good time watching it. Plus I have a soft spot for Brendan Fraser in all of his zaniness.
As far as filmmaking quality goes, including both 'technical' craftsmanship and an artistic side, I think Pixar 'owns' it. I have a hard time remembering a Pixar movie that was anything but excellent.

I watch the new Star Wars movies for example and Pixar's films just craps all over the former. It's not even close.

Pixar is the shiznitz.
Gear Guru

Quote:
I saw "Ralph Breaks the Internet" the other night. Disney animation and sequel to "Wreck it Ralph." Not quite as good as the first one but still a worthy successor.
I still need to see Wreck It Ralph. That's been on my wishlist for ages, but I haven't found a cheap copy of it yet. Modern Disney animation is almost on par with Pixar. Zootopia was HILARIOUS!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
As far as filmmaking quality goes, including both 'technical' craftsmanship and an artistic side, I think Pixar 'owns' it. I have a hard time remembering a Pixar movie that was anything but excellent.

I watch the new Star Wars movies for example and Pixar's films just craps all over the former. It's not even close.
Apples and oranges IMO, but agreed that Pixar has an excellent track record.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear