The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Maniac

I saw this, very funny, and somewhat true.

Don't look at yourself in the mirror, and don't drive!
Old 25th June 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Haven't seen this yet, but it's meant to be great.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Guru

So protip for anyone flying American Airlines: They have a pretty large selection of movies to pick from in-flight. Mostly newer movies, but there's a couple older flicks in there including...

It's an oldie but goldie! 9 to 5 is about three women working for a tyrannical sexist boss. They daydream about having their revenge on them and during this daydreaming, one of them switches out the boss's creamer for rat poison by mistake. High jinks ensue. It kind of hasn't aged well since sexism isn't quite as common in the workplace as it used to be, but it's still fun to watch.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear
Oh yes, my mother...

Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear
This one is a great film, about a boy who accidentally travels trough time. I mean it's right there with "The Terminator" when it comes to early 80's time travel movies.

Old 2nd July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
This one is a great film, about a boy who accidentally travels trough time. I mean it's right there with "The Terminator" when it comes to early 80's time travel movies.

One of my all time favourite movies from one of my favourite directors.
I would also recommend:
Brazil, Baron Munchausen, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 12 Monkeys, Fisher King, all by Terry Gilliam.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

I watched both Shadow Of The Vampire and the original Marnau version of Nosferatu yesterday. Both were enjoyable. Dafoe's portrayel of Shreck/Nosferatu was really well done and the original is just creepy because of the makeup and Shreck's performance. Sadly, John Malcovich was in "Shadow". I am of the opinion that he has the talent of cardboard - probably soggy cardboard. That said, Dafoe's performance way out shined Malcovich so it was still a good watch.
Old 4th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I watched both Shadow Of The Vampire and the original Marnau version of Nosferatu yesterday. Both were enjoyable. Dafoe's portrayel of Shreck/Nosferatu was really well done and the original is just creepy because of the makeup and Shreck's performance. Sadly, John Malcovich was in "Shadow". I am of the opinion that he has the talent of cardboard - probably soggy cardboard. That said, Dafoe's performance way out shined Malcovich so it was still a good watch.
Both excellent films. The original is the stuff of legend, especially if you're watching with a good soundtrack- the original score is really good.

I'd almost have to say I prefer Shadow of A Vampire. It's a great film. And yeah- Willem Dafoe is phenomenal.

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Metropolis is phenomenal as well. I'm a big fan of silent films.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Both excellent films. The original is the stuff of legend, especially if you're watching with a good soundtrack- the original score is really good.

I'd almost have to say I prefer Shadow of A Vampire. It's a great film. And yeah- Willem Dafoe is phenomenal.

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Metropolis is phenomenal as well. I'm a big fan of silent films.
Indeed - I have Calagari as well - love it. Also a big fan of Chaplin, Keaton and that whole genre. Some of my earliest memories are of my father taking me to see Marx Brothers movies. As I got older he turned me on to the Mack Sennett and and Fields and Laurel And Hardy too. They just don't make em like they used to. Have to add the Little Rascals and Our Gang.
Old 7th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

This, it's a TV series, but...

It took me about 4 episodes to realise this isn't a British Crime Thriller, it's an Asian Crime Action film (so many of the common themes), just filmed with British People and a British script. It starts a relatively normal level but by the fifth episode you're seeing stuff that makes the violence in Robocop (or any Paul Verhoeven movie) look like an episode of Telly Tubbies, and that really isn't hyperbole, it's very well done, jaw dropping at certain points. It's very Tarantino like is some very specific ways, but certainly not in general.

It also misdirects you on what's going to happen and how it unfolds the story. It was recommended to me heavily, but it looked a little generic, albeit with good credentials. I was about to switch it off half way through the 1st episode, but then the 1st action scene kicked happened and the story ramped up by about times 5.

If you like John Woo/Paul Verhoeven and Crime thrillers, you need to watch this. This is about one of five things I recommend from British TV in about a decade.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear
One of my favorites in the 80's, Full movie:

Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

I just finished watching this movie. Took an interest in watching this because of some of the celeb personalities that would be featured in it. A great compilation of thought and storytelling about being pushed out of the envelope. ..... extremely funny with extreme consequences for mistakes. Oh yeah, don't drive if you wanna stay alive!

Netflix : Have A Nice Trip / Psychedelic Documentary

Last edited by AfterViewer; 1st August 2020 at 08:43 PM..
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Guru

Netflix seems to do well with teen-oriented stuff, so I thought I'd give this a shot. The Half of It is a story about a geeky kid that has a crush on the popular girl. The nerd's paid by classmates to write essays for them, but another classmate has a different project for her: He wants the nerd to write love letters for him to give to the popular girl. I think one of the aspects I really like about this is that unlike other movies that slip a gay character into it, this one wasn't jammed in there as hard as the writer could, so it flows naturally and the sexuality fits into the story without being made a gigantic deal out of. Otherwise, it was a fun movie. It had a different sort of ending than you expect for a movie like this, but it worked. Very enjoyable film.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Netflix seems to do well with teen-oriented stuff, so I thought I'd give this a shot. The Half of It is a story about a geeky kid that has a crush on the popular girl. The nerd's paid by classmates to write essays for them, but another classmate has a different project for her: He wants the nerd to write love letters for him to give to the popular girl. I think one of the aspects I really like about this is that unlike other movies that slip a gay character into it, this one wasn't jammed in there as hard as the writer could, so it flows naturally and the sexuality fits into the story without being made a gigantic deal out of. Otherwise, it was a fun movie. It had a different sort of ending than you expect for a movie like this, but it worked. Very enjoyable film.
Sounds like 1987's "Roxanne" by Steve Martin...
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Sounds like 1987's "Roxanne" by Steve Martin...
Which in turn was based on Cyrano de Bergerac. Admittedly it's a well-worn trope, but I still liked it.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Watched "The Sting" again last night. I had not seen it in years. It still holds up. I think it is probably on my list of best movies.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear
Really enjoyed this one again... "The Man in the Iron Mask".

Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Guru

This one gets really high critical rankings, plus I'm a sucker for haunted house movies, so I gave it a shot. Girl on the Third Floor is about a man that's trying to make up for being a horrible person/husband by restoring a house that he bought for his wife. As one might guess, things aren't as they seem, and some spooky stuff happens. As far as haunted house movies go, this isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst. The effects lean more practical than CGI, so it's visually stunning, and there were some legit "OH SH!T OH SH!T OH SH!T" moments while watching it. It's got some novelty as far as scary movies go, but I doubt someone that's not into horror is going to become a convert because of this flick.
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Guru

I finished my Brit Lit II class early and had a free weekend, so I treated myself.

I had heard a song last weekend that reminded me of the noises in this flick, so I had to rewatch it. Virus is a pretty terrible movie, but with some great special effects. (The guy that directed this did effects on a ton of movies including Poltergeist, Terminator 2, and The Abyss, so you know it has to look great.) It's not as creepy as I remembered it, and the plot is almost like a cartoon, but some of the scenes are pretty uncomfortable to watch at least if you're into that sort of thing.

This was my big treat to myself. 2018 was kind of a big year for new horror movies, and Hereditary was at the top of my favorites list. I should have caught Midsommar in theaters, but honestly, I chickened out because I frighten easy. So I've been on a kind of intentional media blackout for over a year so that nothing of this movie was spoiled. It was kind of worth it. It's got an overall different vibe from Hereditary, but it's still a really good film. It's not working as hard to make you uncomfortable, but is instead giving a surreal introduction to a pagan group in northern Europe. My summation is basically that it's neither better or worse than Hereditary because it's so different. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Speaking of great movies from directors I hero-worship, when it was announced that Robert Eggers, the director of another favorite of mine, The VVitch, was going to make another period-horror, I was super stoked. Like comparing Midsommar to Hereditary, The Lighthouse goes for a different approach. It relies on nineteenth century vocabulary and old sea tales ("The Ancient Mariner's Rime" in particular gets a shoutout), but it's not so much horror as it is a descent into madness. This is a hard one to talk about without giving anything away, so I'll just say it's good. REALLY freaking good. It's the kind of movie you'll spend more time contemplating while you're away from the screen rather than sitting in front of it. Once again, Robert Pattinson with his believable acting, but what's really impressive is that he can keep up with Willem Dafoe's intensity. It was an amazing job from both of them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

This was my first time watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High and my first thought was "oh my god, this is where Richard Linklater got the idea for Dazed and Confused!" I love the style of there not being a concrete story; it's just a conglomeration of events. This movie was way cool and totally rad. And the scene where "Moving in Stereo" by The Cars was played? Ooh damn, that was extremely sexy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

This was my first time watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High and my first thought was "oh my god, this is where Richard Linklater got the idea for Dazed and Confused!" I love the style of there not being a concrete story; it's just a conglomeration of events. This movie was way cool and totally rad. And the scene where "Moving in Stereo" by The Cars was played? Ooh damn, that was extremely sexy!
I remember that one, My parents wouldn't let me watch it, but at the same time everyone in school started wearing checkered Vans and Ocean Pacific shirts.... in San Antonio...the surf capital of the world.

They had HBO and Showtime in their bedroom... So when they were at work the next summer I finally saw it at age 12.

Geez. They collected any Playboy magazines I found in a dumpster. Kids these days?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fast Times At Ridgemont High had some great moments. Sean Penn naied his role and Ray Walston was wonderful and for me, worth the price of admission.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Caught this one while gorging on McDonald's. One does not eat Happy Meals while watching scary movies or serious dramas, so I picked this one out on Netflix to enjoy my chicken nuggies to. All Together Now is a teen drama written by the dude that wrote Silver Linings Playbook. This lacks the charm of Silver Linings, but it's not bad. It's about a high school senior that's kicking ass at high school, work, and being an all around good person. The issue is that her and her mom are homeless, so it makes things complicated as she tries to save for things like an apartment and airline tickets to try out Carnegie Melon in Pittsburgh. Her main flaw is that she doesn't like to accept help from others, so the worse the situation gets, the more she struggles even though plenty have offered to help her out. The acting is pretty atrocious, but it's a good story that doesn't quite take the same roads that movies of this sort usually do. It's a good movie to eat a McDouble with, but save the french fries for another movie.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm currently watching Masterpiece's "Victoria". I've seen it before but since I am living under solitary confinement due to the virus I rely on Mr. Boob Tube to help keep me sane and it is difficult to find things worth watching - hence the repeat.

One thing I find irritating about this production is that the actor playing Prince Albert was allowed to mumble and whisper his lines. I don't know whether to blame him or the director - probably both. I also think the accents by a few of the characters are dreadful. Prince Albert uses (tries) a german accent while his brother uses an English accent. Either have all foreign characters speak in proper accents and hire a speech coach to get them comfortable or don't do it at all.

Jenna Coleman certainly holds her own and I like the historical aspect to this series but it could have been better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am re watching Mad Men.

It is interesting how accurate their references are. In the series, the Draper family lives in Ossining. They reference phone numbers in the area as Wilson 4 prefixed numbers. I grew up in Ossining and that is spot on. They also reference American Airlines flight 1 that took off from Idlewild Airport (now LaGuardia) and that it crashed because someone left a screw out. That is also spot on. My mother's best friend at the time was on that plane. Also on the plane was Linda McCartney's mother. There are other references like some of the stops on the train that are also spot on.

It really was a well written series. Interestigly flawed characters. Well acted too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am re watching Mad Men.

It is interesting how accurate their references are. In the series, the Draper family lives in Ossining. They reference phone numbers in the area as Wilson 4 prefixed numbers. I grew up in Ossining and that is spot on. They also reference American Airlines flight 1 that took off from Idlewild Airport (now LaGuardia) and that it crashed because someone left a screw out. That is also spot on. My mother's best friend at the time was on that plane. Also on the plane was Linda McCartney's mother. There are other references like some of the stops on the train that are also spot on.

It really was a well written series. Interestigly flawed characters. Well acted too.
Hate to be a pedant, but I think Idlewild is now JFK International?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Hate to be a pedant, but I think Idlewild is now JFK International?
My bad - you are correct. Thank you for pointing this out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My bad - you are correct. Thank you for pointing this out.
I'm always happy to be a smartarse
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
All these kids think communism is cool now. All of them should have to watch this movie in school.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Caught a couple movies this weekend:

Winchester was an unremarkable jump-scare fest. Intersting story, but not very spooky, and the acting (with the notable exception of Helen Mirren of course) was horrible. It's not the worst movie ever made, but they certainly were trying.

By now, I think most people in the Western world are familiar with the controversy involving the poster and marketing for Cuties (not shared here for obvious reasons). I think it was all a marketing ploy by Netflix to make more people watch the movie, and it worked. What the story is really about is a little girl that has just immigrated to France from Senegal. Her family are strict and devout Muslims, and come with their own batch of personal problems. Being a preteen, this little girl meets the Cuties, a raucous preteen dancing troupe that are pretty much the exact opposite of the little girl's homelife. She forces her way into the group and becomes the most rebellious little bastard. She's sneaking out of the house, addicted to social media, stealing money, trying to seduce older men; basically she's just as bad if not worse than what she's portrayed as in the trailer. Spoiler Time! The only way to justify these visuals is to see it all the way to the end. It's supposed to be disgusting and revolting, and that's supposed to be the real point is that caving in to peer pressure led her to be this crusty individual. When the dance troupe make it to the finals of their little dancing contest, the girl realizes in looking at the crowd of disapproving parents and perverts that this isn't the life she wants. She realizes that the only way to be happy isn't by conforming to her Islamic upbringing or her slutty new friend group; it's by being herself and living her own life her own way with her own boundaries. On its own, I thought it was a pretty good movie with a strong message. As for the controversy it's garnered, again I think Netflix may have misrepresented this movie on purpose. Even so, it is very uncomfortable to watch. That's kind of the point of the movie, but it's still something I thought could have been addressed in less of a pedo-friendly way.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear