The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Maniac

I saw this, very funny, and somewhat true.

Don't look at yourself in the mirror, and don't drive!
Old 25th June 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Haven't seen this yet, but it's meant to be great.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Guru

So protip for anyone flying American Airlines: They have a pretty large selection of movies to pick from in-flight. Mostly newer movies, but there's a couple older flicks in there including...

It's an oldie but goldie! 9 to 5 is about three women working for a tyrannical sexist boss. They daydream about having their revenge on them and during this daydreaming, one of them switches out the boss's creamer for rat poison by mistake. High jinks ensue. It kind of hasn't aged well since sexism isn't quite as common in the workplace as it used to be, but it's still fun to watch.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear
Oh yes, my mother...

Old 2nd July 2020
Lives for gear
This one is a great film, about a boy who accidentally travels trough time. I mean it's right there with "The Terminator" when it comes to early 80's time travel movies.

Old 2nd July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
This one is a great film, about a boy who accidentally travels trough time. I mean it's right there with "The Terminator" when it comes to early 80's time travel movies.

One of my all time favourite movies from one of my favourite directors.
I would also recommend:
Brazil, Baron Munchausen, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 12 Monkeys, Fisher King, all by Terry Gilliam.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

I watched both Shadow Of The Vampire and the original Marnau version of Nosferatu yesterday. Both were enjoyable. Dafoe's portrayel of Shreck/Nosferatu was really well done and the original is just creepy because of the makeup and Shreck's performance. Sadly, John Malcovich was in "Shadow". I am of the opinion that he has the talent of cardboard - probably soggy cardboard. That said, Dafoe's performance way out shined Malcovich so it was still a good watch.
Old 4th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I watched both Shadow Of The Vampire and the original Marnau version of Nosferatu yesterday. Both were enjoyable. Dafoe's portrayel of Shreck/Nosferatu was really well done and the original is just creepy because of the makeup and Shreck's performance. Sadly, John Malcovich was in "Shadow". I am of the opinion that he has the talent of cardboard - probably soggy cardboard. That said, Dafoe's performance way out shined Malcovich so it was still a good watch.
Both excellent films. The original is the stuff of legend, especially if you're watching with a good soundtrack- the original score is really good.

I'd almost have to say I prefer Shadow of A Vampire. It's a great film. And yeah- Willem Dafoe is phenomenal.

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Metropolis is phenomenal as well. I'm a big fan of silent films.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Both excellent films. The original is the stuff of legend, especially if you're watching with a good soundtrack- the original score is really good.

I'd almost have to say I prefer Shadow of A Vampire. It's a great film. And yeah- Willem Dafoe is phenomenal.

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Metropolis is phenomenal as well. I'm a big fan of silent films.
Indeed - I have Calagari as well - love it. Also a big fan of Chaplin, Keaton and that whole genre. Some of my earliest memories are of my father taking me to see Marx Brothers movies. As I got older he turned me on to the Mack Sennett and and Fields and Laurel And Hardy too. They just don't make em like they used to. Have to add the Little Rascals and Our Gang.
Old 7th July 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

This, it's a TV series, but...

It took me about 4 episodes to realise this isn't a British Crime Thriller, it's an Asian Crime Action film (so many of the common themes), just filmed with British People and a British script. It starts a relatively normal level but by the fifth episode you're seeing stuff that makes the violence in Robocop (or any Paul Verhoeven movie) look like an episode of Telly Tubbies, and that really isn't hyperbole, it's very well done, jaw dropping at certain points. It's very Tarantino like is some very specific ways, but certainly not in general.

It also misdirects you on what's going to happen and how it unfolds the story. It was recommended to me heavily, but it looked a little generic, albeit with good credentials. I was about to switch it off half way through the 1st episode, but then the 1st action scene kicked happened and the story ramped up by about times 5.

If you like John Woo/Paul Verhoeven and Crime thrillers, you need to watch this. This is about one of five things I recommend from British TV in about a decade.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
One of my favorites in the 80's, Full movie:

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just finished watching this movie. Took an interest in watching this because of some of the celeb personalities that would be featured in it. A great compilation of thought and storytelling about being pushed out of the envelope. ..... extremely funny with extreme consequences for mistakes. Oh yeah, don't drive if you wanna stay alive!

Netflix : Have A Nice Trip / Psychedelic Documentary

Last edited by AfterViewer; 1 week ago at 08:43 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Netflix seems to do well with teen-oriented stuff, so I thought I'd give this a shot. The Half of It is a story about a geeky kid that has a crush on the popular girl. The nerd's paid by classmates to write essays for them, but another classmate has a different project for her: He wants the nerd to write love letters for him to give to the popular girl. I think one of the aspects I really like about this is that unlike other movies that slip a gay character into it, this one wasn't jammed in there as hard as the writer could, so it flows naturally and the sexuality fits into the story without being made a gigantic deal out of. Otherwise, it was a fun movie. It had a different sort of ending than you expect for a movie like this, but it worked. Very enjoyable film.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Netflix seems to do well with teen-oriented stuff, so I thought I'd give this a shot. The Half of It is a story about a geeky kid that has a crush on the popular girl. The nerd's paid by classmates to write essays for them, but another classmate has a different project for her: He wants the nerd to write love letters for him to give to the popular girl. I think one of the aspects I really like about this is that unlike other movies that slip a gay character into it, this one wasn't jammed in there as hard as the writer could, so it flows naturally and the sexuality fits into the story without being made a gigantic deal out of. Otherwise, it was a fun movie. It had a different sort of ending than you expect for a movie like this, but it worked. Very enjoyable film.
Sounds like 1987's "Roxanne" by Steve Martin...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Sounds like 1987's "Roxanne" by Steve Martin...
Which in turn was based on Cyrano de Bergerac. Admittedly it's a well-worn trope, but I still liked it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Watched "The Sting" again last night. I had not seen it in years. It still holds up. I think it is probably on my list of best movies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Really enjoyed this one again... "The Man in the Iron Mask".

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

This one gets really high critical rankings, plus I'm a sucker for haunted house movies, so I gave it a shot. Girl on the Third Floor is about a man that's trying to make up for being a horrible person/husband by restoring a house that he bought for his wife. As one might guess, things aren't as they seem, and some spooky stuff happens. As far as haunted house movies go, this isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst. The effects lean more practical than CGI, so it's visually stunning, and there were some legit "OH SH!T OH SH!T OH SH!T" moments while watching it. It's got some novelty as far as scary movies go, but I doubt someone that's not into horror is going to become a convert because of this flick.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear