The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 6th February 2020
  #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Ad Astra - sucked pretty much. Tommy Lee Jones was good but his part was too small and just a weak script in general.
Not as good as I thought. It ranked OK to me and borderline meh. I added it to by 4K collection, but I wish I had bought another movie instead.
Old 6th February 2020
  #632
Gear Addict
 

Anybody got any good netflix recomendations for tonight ,no superhero stuff
Old 6th February 2020
  #633
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn View Post
Anybody got any good netflix recomendations for tonight ,no superhero stuff
What are you in the mood for? There's a little bit of everything on Netflix.

If you're into drama, you've gotta check out Ghost Story. So far, it's my favorite movie that I've watched this year.
Old 6th February 2020
  #634
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I heard there was a new Star Wars...

Old 6th February 2020
  #635
Korean film. - PARASITE

VERY GOOD

Won lots of prizes.

Will win Oscars.
Old 6th February 2020
  #636
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Not as good as I thought. It ranked OK to me and borderline meh. I added it to by 4K collection, but I wish I had bought another movie instead.
I did warn you. Too bad, they had good actors there and some good visuals.
Old 7th February 2020
  #637
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
What are you in the mood for? There's a little bit of everything on Netflix.

If you're into drama, you've gotta check out Ghost Story. So far, it's my favorite movie that I've watched this year.
Hi Derp,
I watched FURY and DUNKIRK in the last week, enjoyed both. Have watched way too many zombie apocalypse ,dystopian future and docu series type flix lately.
I like quirky, gritty,scary etc.Dont mind sub titles. Dont care for rom-com,sci-f i{unless its got a good story}. I seem to spend more time searching for a good film on netflix than watching them and have found the review ratings on imdb / rotten tomatoes to be rubbish.
I stumbled upon a simple ,low budget film called american dreamer recently and thought it was excellent, well written, well acted and deserved more credit. Same kind of idea as training day but without the big stars and budget.
Old 7th February 2020
  #638
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

'The Babadook' is a great film if you're looking for a psychological 'scary' film......both my wife and I really enjoyed '24 hour photo' too....great performance from Robin Williams, showing how versatile and talented he was.
Old 7th February 2020
  #639
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


Watched Teen Wolf this weekend. This one hasn't really aged well. It starts out fun, but once he embraces his inner wolf and just runs with it, the whole movie goes off the rails. If you're into cringe, you might like this one, but for the rest? Not so much.
Ooh. It was terrible at the time too lol. Really only sold off the back of Back To The Future.
Old 7th February 2020
  #640
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
'The Babadook' is a great film if you're looking for a psychological 'scary' film......both my wife and I really enjoyed '24 hour photo' too....great performance from Robin Williams, showing how versatile and talented he was.
Yes, saw and enjoyed both.
Old 7th February 2020
  #641
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pquinn View Post
Hi Derp,
I watched FURY and DUNKIRK in the last week, enjoyed both. Have watched way too many zombie apocalypse ,dystopian future and docu series type flix lately.
I like quirky, gritty,scary etc.Dont mind sub titles. Dont care for rom-com,sci-f i{unless its got a good story}. I seem to spend more time searching for a good film on netflix than watching them and have found the review ratings on imdb / rotten tomatoes to be rubbish.
I stumbled upon a simple ,low budget film called american dreamer recently and thought it was excellent, well written, well acted and deserved more credit. Same kind of idea as training day but without the big stars and budget.
If you're more into horror, I'd give Tubi a try. It's got commercials, but their selection of older movies is great. Speaking of...



I tried two nights in a row and fell asleep on Transylvania 6-5000 both times. This one's a dud. It's trying really hard to be funny (like really struggling), but it fails terribly. It reminded me of Teen Wolf but with more effort put into the attempt to be a comedy. The director is weak, too. Jeff Goldblum breaks character multiple times, but I guess they thought no one would notice. Young Gena Davis is freaking gorgeous though, and I didn't realize I had a crush on Carole Kane until this movie, so it might be worth watching for that. Otherwise, it's a dud.
Old 9th February 2020
  #642
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
'The Babadook' is a great film if you're looking for a psychological 'scary' film......both my wife and I really enjoyed '24 hour photo' too....great performance from Robin Williams, showing how versatile and talented he was.
Babadook doesnt get enough credit. Me and my chick watched it and it was genuinely scry because everyone has those thoughts about what you think you see in the dark. I only watch scary movies at night and very loud.
Old 10th February 2020
  #643
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


Watched Teen Wolf this weekend. This one hasn't really aged well. It starts out fun, but once he embraces his inner wolf and just runs with it, the whole movie goes off the rails. If you're into cringe, you might like this one, but for the rest? Not so much.
Yes, Teen Wolf was dismal, even when it came out.

My favorite Werewolf move still has to be An American Werewolf in London. This one has aged well.

Old 10th February 2020
  #644
Lives for gear
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

[5th October 2019] I saw JOKER today.

One of the best movies I've seen for a while. Joaquin Phoenix is absolutely brilliant. Oscar nomination for sure I reckon...
I guess he did one better
Old 10th February 2020
  #645
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
My favorite Werewolf move still has to be An American Werewolf in London. This one has aged well.
I can't think of many werewolf movies that I've seen and actually liked, but Ginger Snaps definitely tops that list for me.

Old 11th February 2020
  #646
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Ooh. It was terrible at the time too
We'll agree to disagree there. It wasn't a really "great movie" and even then I disliked the whole "it's OK to be yourself" message being thrown in our face but it was pretty good overall IMO, a fun lighthearted comedy.
Old 11th February 2020
  #647
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Korean film. - PARASITE

VERY GOOD

Won lots of prizes.

Will win Oscars.

Old 12th February 2020
  #648
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're more into horror, I'd give Tubi a try. It's got commercials, but their selection of older movies is great. Speaking of...



I tried two nights in a row and fell asleep on Transylvania 6-5000 both times. This one's a dud. It's trying really hard to be funny (like really struggling), but it fails terribly. It reminded me of Teen Wolf but with more effort put into the attempt to be a comedy. The director is weak, too. Jeff Goldblum breaks character multiple times, but I guess they thought no one would notice. Young Gena Davis is freaking gorgeous though, and I didn't realize I had a crush on Carole Kane until this movie, so it might be worth watching for that. Otherwise, it's a dud.

I never liked vampire moves, even as a teenager.

But I thought this one was actually scary:

Old 12th February 2020
  #649
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I never liked vampire moves, even as a teenager.

But I thought this one was actually scary:

I agree, Interview with a Vampire is a very disturbing and brilliant film.
The sense of decadence and evil is very well portrayed and the acting is so convincing and believable. It is also incredibly well staged and beautiful to look at.
Well worth watching if you are into horror with depth.
Old 12th February 2020
  #650
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I never liked vampire moves, even as a teenager.

But I thought this one was actually scary:
I'm sick of zombie films, I'm not into werewolves, but somehow I never tire of vampire movies. I think Interview is what started it for me. Excellent movie.
Old 12th February 2020
  #651
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm sick of zombie films, I'm not into werewolves, but somehow I never tire of vampire movies. I think Interview is what started it for me. Excellent movie.
'Let the right one in' is my favourite vampire film (the English language remake 'Let me in' is also great)
Old 12th February 2020
  #652
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
'Let the right one in' is my favourite vampire film (the English language remake 'Let me in' is also great)
I still need to see the English version, but the original was excellent. I have the book as well, just need to actually read it.
Old 14th February 2020
  #653
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm sick of zombie films, I'm not into werewolves, but somehow I never tire of vampire movies. I think Interview is what started it for me. Excellent movie.
Old 14th February 2020
  #654
Lives for gear
Old 14th February 2020
  #655
Lives for gear
 

I seem to remember this vampire movie being better than most

Old 14th February 2020
  #656
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I seem to remember this vampire movie being better than most
I saw that one is on Tubi now. A whole slew of new movies got dumped on Tubi, so I'll probably get lost in that service whenever I get out from under this pile of schoolwork.
Old 16th February 2020
  #657
Today I watched Spiderman: Far from Home.

I found the movie to be quite entertaining.

Old 18th February 2020
  #658
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


Quarantine is more zombie crap, but it comes highly rated (another from the "Remakes That are Better Than the Original" list). It really didn't bring anything that we haven't seen in the genre a half-million times already. Well-made, but not worth sitting through.



Critical Condition is one of those movies that's funnier in theory than in practice. It's a great idea, but a terrible execution. Despite the lack of comedy, it works as a feel-good kind of movie.



On the flip-side, Roxanne was pretty good. It features Steve Martin's usual brand of understated humor combined with a classic romantic story ("Cyrano de Bergerac") set in a quaint little town. It's a heartwarming tale of a man that's very self-conscious about his physical features that's writing love letters and reciting words for a handsome young buffoon to give to the town beauty. Naturally, he himself develops feelings for the woman, and shenanigans ensue. It's worth the watch just for the scene where Steve Martin recites twenty insults that are better than "Hey, big nose!" I very much enjoyed this movie.
Old 19th February 2020
  #659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I never tire of vampire movies. I think Interview is what started it for me. Excellent movie.
It is a good film. I used to watch vampire films a lot when I was younger and really enjoyed Count Yorga, Vampire. Low-budget film that was supposed to be a porn flick but wasn't.

But if you want to watch a fantastic kinda-vampire film, watch Shadow Of The Vampire. It's a faux "making of" Nosferatu. Phenomenal acting by Willem Dafoe as Max Schreck and John Malkovich as F.W. Murnau, and of course it's about one of the greatest vampire films of all time.
Old 19th February 2020
  #660
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
It is a good film. I used to watch vampire films a lot when I was younger and really enjoyed Count Yorga, Vampire. Low-budget film that was supposed to be a porn flick but wasn't.

But if you want to watch a fantastic kinda-vampire film, watch Shadow Of The Vampire. It's a faux "making of" Nosferatu. Phenomenal acting by Willem Dafoe as Max Schreck and John Malkovich as F.W. Murnau, and of course it's about one of the greatest vampire films of all time.
Yes! Absolutely wonderful film and Dafoe was wonderful. I'm not a Malcovich fan at all but his weirdness added to the film so for once he was perfectly cast and did a fine job. Nosferatu is also a great movie. I first saw it when I was 4 or 5 years old - probably messed me up for life. Scared the stuff right out of me.

And of course my Avatar here is a bit of an endorsement. :-)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump