Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Hobbies, Sport, Holidays, Movies, TV Shows and Downtime (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/hobbies-sport-holidays-movies-tv-shows-and-downtime/)
-   -   Your movie reviews (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/hobbies-sport-holidays-movies-tv-shows-and-downtime/1232180-your-movie-reviews.html)

Hollowman9 17th December 2018 07:17 PM

I’ve completely given up on Hollywood movies because I don’t find force fed indoctrination of liberal (or otherwise) ideology to be entertaining. I enjoy movies for their entertainment value not their virtue signaling and diatribe. There’s a place for politics and it’s not the big screen. And I’m not paying my hard earned money to see it.

That said, I really enjoyed the Korean film Train to Busan. Very intense and exciting film about the dreaded “fast zombies” that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Never thought I could be so pumped up about a movie while reading subtitles but it happened.
Best movie of 2018 IMO.

bill5 17th December 2018 10:14 PM

I hear you but they aren't ALL like that. Just hard sometimes to find the hidden gems. For ex. I saw "Up" the other day (animation). Great film starring the late great Ed Asner (aka Lou Grant). No politics.

Hollowman9 18th December 2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill5 (Post 13691582)
I hear you but they aren't ALL like that. Just hard sometimes to find the hidden gems. For ex. I saw "Up" the other day (animation). Great film starring the late great Ed Asner (aka Lou Grant). No politics.

You’ve got a point. My old lady dragged me to the most recent Harry Potter movie and while I’m not a big fan I was at least relieved it wasn’t beating my head in with boring politics and idealism. Good entertainment value there.

Derp 19th December 2018 04:49 PM

There's a horror movie on Netflix that turned out better than expected. The Diabolical is basically a haunted house movie, but with a pretty cool twist involved. Not the best movie, but worth a watch if you've got nothing else going on.

Derp 19th December 2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13682069)
Tonight I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's a great thriller packed with suspense and a wild twist at the end. kfhkh

I initially skipped the Cloverfield movies because I thought it was just another found-footage thing involving some Godzilla creature. When Netflix picked up Cloverfield Paradox, and its trailers looked way different than I expected, I decided to give the other movies a shot. Cloverfield was the same sort of plot I expected, but better in a lot of ways. 10 Cloverfield Way was nothing like what I expected at all, though. That was an excellent film with some amazing acting. It worked on so many levels, and made the whole Cloverfield incident that much more horrifying. I got a new appreciation for John Goodman from that movie. It's a role you don't really expect him in, but he nailed it. Cloverfield Paradox ended up being pretty good and added a bit to the whole Cloverfield universe, but 10 Cloverfield Lane was definitely the brightest gem of the bunch.

clump 19th December 2018 06:38 PM

Revisited a couple of 60s classics recently.....'The Apartment' and 'The Odd Couple' (The 'blocked sinus' scene in the restaurant is STILL so funny)

Both films are so sharp on every level....and the charisma seems to flow endlessly from the principal players.

Perhaps it's me being overly nostalgic, but....do they make 'em like that any more?

bill5 19th December 2018 07:33 PM

Odd Couple was vintage Lemmon/Matheau (and Neil Simon). They did a sequel many years later however (their last film together I think) and it was pretty bad. Grumpy Old Men w/those 2 was also great.

didlisquat 19th December 2018 08:27 PM

Upgrade is the best movie I have seen since Fury Road.

bill5 20th December 2018 12:48 AM

I didn't like the orig Mad Max stuff but this seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews critically and publicly, might have to give a go.

didlisquat 20th December 2018 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill5 (Post 13695682)
I didn't like the orig Mad Max stuff but this seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews critically and publicly, might have to give a go.

Yeah, the Mel Max movies aren't much, but the director took the action adventure genre to another level in that last one.....with more to come. I should add that I am not much of an action adventure movie watcher, but Fury Road is something special.

bill5 20th December 2018 04:53 AM

Cool thx I'll check it out. What have I got to lose besides a little time? The holiday looks like a big movie-fest for me anyway.

Derp 20th December 2018 04:19 PM

Also not a big Mad Max fan, but Fury Road was a masterpiece.

I finally got around to watching Audition last night. I think I overhyped it to myself thinking it was going to be something that it wasn't. I was under the impression that it was a super gory film like so many other Japanese horror flicks, but other than a couple of cringe moments, it wasn't that over the top. I'm not usually a gore fan, but I was in a rare mood, so slightly disappointed. It's not a bad movie, though.

Synth Guru 20th December 2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 13694832)
I initially skipped the Cloverfield movies because I thought it was just another found-footage thing involving some Godzilla creature. When Netflix picked up Cloverfield Paradox, and its trailers looked way different than I expected, I decided to give the other movies a shot. Cloverfield was the same sort of plot I expected, but better in a lot of ways. 10 Cloverfield Way was nothing like what I expected at all, though. That was an excellent film with some amazing acting. It worked on so many levels, and made the whole Cloverfield incident that much more horrifying. I got a new appreciation for John Goodman from that movie. It's a role you don't really expect him in, but he nailed it. Cloverfield Paradox ended up being pretty good and added a bit to the whole Cloverfield universe, but 10 Cloverfield Lane was definitely the brightest gem of the bunch.

Yeah I can't wait to get Cloverfield Paradox. It comes out in January 2019 here on Blue Ray. I read that all three Cloverfield movies are related to the same incident that occurs on Paradox.kfhkh

Derp 20th December 2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13696965)
Yeah I can't wait to get Cloverfield Paradox. It comes out in January 2019 here on Blue Ray. I read that all three Cloverfield movies are related to the same incident that occurs on Paradox.kfhkh

You don't have Netflix? ....how are you alive?

Synth Guru 21st December 2018 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 13697353)

Nope, no Netflix. I don't rent movies, I only buy.rockout

bill5 21st December 2018 04:12 AM

I'll bite: why?

PS I have Netflix but likely to cancel soon. Every time they change something it's for the worse. Eliminating viewer reviews was the worst of all, totally asinine.

Synth Guru 21st December 2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill5 (Post 13697836)
I'll bite: why?

If you're referring to my last post, it's because I'm a collector. I love to watch movies. I started buying DVD's back in the day and then moved up to Blu-Ray. Now, I'm mainly buying 4K disks which usually include a Blu-Ray counterpart.

I like the idea that after buying the movie I can watch it again for free as many times as I want.

bill5 21st December 2018 01:51 PM

Got ya. I rarely want to watch a movie more than once, so buying movies has rarely appealed to me, though I do have some.

bill5 21st December 2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 13697353)

I swore them off when they removed user reviews. Sure a lot of them were idiotic, but there were often surprisingly good reviews too with good insights about what was/wasn't good about it, and if something was almost universally praised or panned, it was a safe bet it was accurate.

Derp 21st December 2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13697756)
Nope, no Netflix. I don't rent movies, I only buy.rockout

I hear ya. I've got a couple thousand movies on disk myself. I use Netflix as a supplement to that, i.e. to check out movies that either don't have a physical release, or movies that I wouldn't have checked out in the first place. If I watch something on Netflix and enjoy it, I'll buy myself a hard copy. It's worked out because when Netflix's algorithms for picking movies was better, they turned me on to a lot of movies/series. It's especially fun since movies have been devalued almost as bad as music has. There's pawn shops around here selling movies for fifty cents a pop.

bill5 22nd December 2018 03:16 AM

Machine Gun Kelly - a classic "guy's film" or so I am told. Charles Bronson is the legendary gangster. I'm sorry this just sucked. B movie sucked. Don't bother.

Synth Guru 22nd December 2018 03:59 AM

I recently watched The Predator. Based on the reviews I read, I was expecting this movie to suck. The movie is bad due to a poorly produced script. I can see why the dialog would be offensive to many families. The whole movie was over-joked. The joking trend that a lot of movies have taken in their scripts is overdone for the most part IMO.

Though the movie is bad, some scenes were funny. I love the three former Predator films in the franchise but they really killed it with the latest film.

On a positive note, as a hardcore fan of the Predator franchise I thoroughly enjoyed the special effects and sci-fi aspect of the movie.

https://images3.static-bluray.com/mo...g?t=1540417273

bill5 22nd December 2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13699625)
The joking trend that a lot of movies have taken in their scripts is overdone for the most part IMO.

Someone else gets it, thank you. Annoying as hell. The Marvel stuff is esp horrific in this way and I've sworn them off. Not helping is there lack of adherence to the source material too, esp in such glaring ways (Thor making smarmy wisecracks? Are you kidding me? And where tf is your helmet?).

Synth Guru 22nd December 2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill5 (Post 13699692)
Someone else gets it, thank you. Annoying as hell. The Marvel stuff is esp horrific in this way and I've sworn them off. Not helping is there lack of adherence to the source material too, esp in such glaring ways (Thor making smarmy wisecracks? Are you kidding me? And where tf is your helmet?).

What really got on my nerves was the joking while spider-man was jumping and swinging across buildings in Spider-man Homecoming. The old spider-man movies were a thousand times better with the more serious spidey.

bill5 22nd December 2018 05:33 AM

The actual comics were a lot better than any of it, esp Spiderman. For one he didn't look or act like some dorky teenager after he became Spiderman (Toby McGuire? wtf? What a pathetic choice), and he wasn't (compared to other superheros) this skinny little wimpy-looking guy...but the movies continue to play that up and it's nauseating. ugh. I'm no fan of purists and don't mean to be one but I guess as a kid who grew up w/this stuff, IMO they have just shamelessly deviated in numerous ways, sometimes slight but some extreme, and not once did it make anything better or "more entertaining." Avengers are almost as bad.

Synth Guru 22nd December 2018 05:07 PM

One of my Black Friday pick ups was the Twilight Zone Collection. It contains all 156 episodes all in stunning high definition. kfhkh

I love that show, it's very nostalgic to me. Each episode also contains commentaries and much more. The imagination that Rod Serling to come up with such intriguing topics is truly remarkable.abduction

I highly recommend it. It can be pricey so keep an eye out for future deals on this set.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....webp_QL65_.jpg

MikeInOttawa 22nd December 2018 08:14 PM

I have A Clockwork Orange on DVD that I think I'll play this week. It's still my favourite film of all-time.

I'm hoping to watch A Taxing Woman sometime soon too. As a former income tax auditor it's right up my alley, and I've heard it's very good.

The Japanese make some really good films. I really liked Tampopo and wouldn't mind seeing The Happiness Of The Katakuris.

For oldies, other faves are It Happened One Night, Suddenly (with Sinatra), and of course Metropolis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clump (Post 13694959)
Revisited a couple of 60s classics recently.....'The Apartment' and 'The Odd Couple' (The 'blocked sinus' scene in the restaurant is STILL so funny)

The Apartment is a GREAT film! I quite like Jack Lemmon. Another actor I really like is Dick Van Dyke. No, he didn't do many dramatic roles, but what he did he totally pulled off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13700219)
One of my Black Friday pick ups was the Twilight Zone Collection. It contains all 156 episodes all in stunning high definition.

Now THAT was television!

Still enjoy the old X-Files, but that had nothing on The Twilight Zone.

aaronsmith 22nd December 2018 08:36 PM

Bad Times at the El Royale , wow that was a really good movie for grown-ups, its slowwer but not boring in anyway, brilliant acting and plot, not really predictable, amazing soundtrack,
Think Hitchcock and Tarantino,

Deleted ea69e11 22nd December 2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman9 (Post 13691298)
I’ve completely given up on Hollywood movies because I don’t find force fed indoctrination of liberal (or otherwise) ideology to be entertaining. I enjoy movies for their entertainment value not their virtue signaling and diatribe. There’s a place for politics and it’s not the big screen. And I’m not paying my hard earned money to see it.

what movies indoctrinated you?

clump 22nd December 2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synth Guru (Post 13700219)
One of my Black Friday pick ups was the Twilight Zone Collection. It contains all 156 episodes all in stunning high definition. kfhkh

I love that show, it's very nostalgic to me. Each episode also contains commentaries and much more. The imagination that Rod Serling to come up with such intriguing topics is truly remarkable.abduction

I highly recommend it. It can be pricey so keep an eye out for future deals on this set.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....webp_QL65_.jpg

That looks like a must have.....I still clearly recall having my mind blown by the William Shatner episode.

From that day forward I always had an uneasy feeling any time I had a window seat which overlooked the wing.