The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your movie reviews
Old 30th October 2019
  #451
Lives for gear
Batman Return of the Caped Crusaders - animated movie starring Adam West as the voice of Batman, among others. A loyal tribute to the TV series; if you liked that, you should like this. You can tell West is up there in years, his voice isn't quite the same, and the animation is rather so-so, but it's forgivable. I doubt anyone who doesn't remember the TV series would go much for it.
Old 30th October 2019
  #452
I am looking forward to seeing Le Man's 66
Old 30th October 2019
  #453
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


I was watching a review of Hereditary last night. (As an aside, I love that I'm not the only one that is head over heels in love with this eerie masterpiece). One of the things mentioned was that the director, Ari Aster, had previously made a pretty intense short film called The Strange Thing About the Johnsons. It's only half an hour long, but it's very tense. It's not a horror film like Mr. Aster has come to be known for, but it's definitely very uncomfortable. The movie's on YouTube (linked below) if you want to check it out. It was a very good movie, and the subject matter is hard to talk about without spoiling the story, but it's pretty graphic and NSFW, so just keep that in mind before clicking the link. It's a hard one to stomach, but definitely one of a kind and memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyQMX4rwHs
Old 30th October 2019
  #454
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Batman Return of the Caped Crusaders - animated movie starring Adam West as the voice of Batman, among others. A loyal tribute to the TV series; if you liked that, you should like this. You can tell West is up there in years, his voice isn't quite the same, and the animation is rather so-so, but it's forgivable. I doubt anyone who doesn't remember the TV series would go much for it.
Thanks for letting us know about this one. While the dark and gritty Batman universe is great, I love the old Adam West kookiness. I'll be checking this one out for sure.

And good news is that's it's free on Amazon Prime!
Old 5th November 2019
  #455
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
I saw JOKER today.

One of the best movies I've seen for a while. Joaquin Phoenix is absolutely brilliant. Oscar nomination for sure I reckon.

It's quite disturbing and dark, but it certainly moved me and my 14 & 16yo kids. We discussed the movie for sometime afterwards.

The Score was great too
I saw it today. Phoenix was great. Cinematography was great. Editing was great. Music was great. I also really liked the story.

It captured me from the first minute to the last... Money well spent for once.
Old 5th November 2019
  #456
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


Finally got to see Us this weekend. I really liked Get Out (in particular, with the original ending), so I expected great things with this one. Honestly, I'm not sure how to feel in the end with Us. Phenomenal acting on all parts, though. It was very easy to believe that for each person on screen, there was a whole other person and not just the same actor playing their doppelganger. The resolution of the story of the family is a good twist, but if you're looking for it, you'll probably catch on much faster than I did. Where I'm kind of stuck at is the overarching story with the doppelgangers. It alludes to a whole other theme, but in this case, the allusions were so subtle that people like me that are slow on the uptake didn't quite catch what the message was. It's given me reason to pause and think, so at the very least, I'll credit the film for making me reconsider my worldviews. All in all, I'd say that it's a good, though nuanced movie.
Old 9th November 2019
  #457
anyone seen the pianist? I'm thinking of getting it on blu-ray.
Old 10th November 2019
  #458
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
anyone seen the pianist? I'm thinking of getting it on blu-ray.
V good movie
Old 15th November 2019
  #459
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


So last night I watched The Beyond (and heads up, there are a ton of movies with this name). It's about a wormhole that opens up over Earth, and humans start working on figuring out a way to travel up to it and research it. I forgot what the heck I was Googling last night when I stumbled on something about this film and saw that it was on Prime. The reviews are terrible, but the trailer looked really interesting, so I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. First off, this movie is gorgeous. Hats off to all the effects workers because holy crap is this movie stunning to look at. As for plot, it's got some pretty good ideas, I thought with a lot of emphasis on transhumanism as a theme. I think the main flaw with this movie is in how it was handled. It's treated as a documentary, so that instilled distance between the camera and the characters makes it hard to get really attached to anybody or care about what they're doing. Basically there's a lot of style, a lot of substance, but they didn't do a good job of mixing the two.
Old 16th November 2019
  #460
The Irishman - Scorcese

Jeez!

Sooooo long. 3 hours +!!!

Same gangster cast playing same basic mafioso characters but now geriatric. Pacino, Kitel, de Nero and Pesche brought no new dynamics whatsoever.

Some (usual) boring, waste of time knuckle head / hood dialog.

The alleged "anti ageing" CGI was underwhelming, the actors all looked and sounded old all the time.

A mini Mafia & Teamsters & Kennedy history lesson - so what? I knew most of it already.

Verdict - nearly walked out. Wanted to scream with boredom. Watch on Netflix later this month if you must. Pissed me off that I wasted my time on it. My partner liked it though.
Old 19th November 2019
  #461
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
The Irishman - Scorcese

Jeez!

Sooooo long. 3 hours +!!!

Same gangster cast playing same basic mafioso characters but now geriatric. Pacino, Kitel, de Nero and Pesche brought no new dynamics whatsoever.

Some (usual) boring, waste of time knuckle head / hood dialog.

The alleged "anti ageing" CGI was underwhelming, the actors all looked and sounded old all the time.

A mini Mafia & Teamsters & Kennedy history lesson - so what? I knew most of it already.

Verdict - nearly walked out. Wanted to scream with boredom. Watch on Netflix later this month if you must. Pissed me off that I wasted my time on it. My partner liked it though.
It all sounds terribly "let's milk our rep for some more money, so what if it's crap we'll all have fun making it, the gang together again" ish. Sad I would think such talents would have more pride.


Pacific Rim - a silly sci fi/monster flick where humans pilot these massive robots to combat alien Godzilla ish creatures trying to take over the Earth. Sure it's a silly premise but they tried to make it more of a "real" movie. Mistake. Should have focused more on the robots vs alien action scenes and not wasted time with some really lame romance angle and other human drama. It still wasn't so bad, but with better action scenes could have been much better in that simple Godzilla kind of way. Borderline watchable to pass the time.
Old 20th November 2019
  #462
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


I was looking for something to fall asleep to, stumbled on this, and ended up staying up to watch it. I've seen Hellraiser II a couple times over the years, and it's always been my favorite of the series. I exposed my wife to the original a few months ago, so it was nice to be able to rewatch this and compare it to the original. What's interesting is that the first one has such a great storyline. It's sensual and visceral at the same time with Clive Barker's favorite theme of matters of the flesh being the center of the tale. Part two on the other hand has kind of a crappy story. It doesn't even make sense at parts. (Seriously, what's with the cenobites turning into humans, and why do they have a conflict with the doctor?) In spite of this, and the very corny dialog, part two remains my favorite because it favors style over substance, but man what a style! It's such a beauty to look at and was the subject of so many of my teenage fantasies. It lacks depth, but makes up for it with a wonderful glimpse of Hell.
Old 20th November 2019
  #463
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Pacific Rim - a silly sci fi/monster flick
Silly is the perfect summary. I'm a big fan of Guillermo del Toro, but I can't bring myself to like Pacific Rim. His works are often so poetic and beautiful, but Pacific Rim is just... silly.
Old 20th November 2019
  #464
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Silly is the perfect summary. I'm a big fan of Guillermo del Toro, but I can't bring myself to like Pacific Rim. His works are often so poetic and beautiful, but Pacific Rim is just... silly.
Yes, Chronos is an amazing film but Pacific Rim was just too Hollywood for me.
Old 20th November 2019
  #465
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


Found this on a list of best sci-fi films on Amazon Prime. In High Life, a man and his baby daughter are the last survivors on a spaceship that's hurtling through space at nearly the speed of light. What I like about this movie is that it's not a monster or horror movie like so many other science fiction films try to be. This one is a human drama that explores the effects of isolation deep in space. It's less Aliens and more Solaris in that way. There's a lot more to it than that, but it's hard to talk about this movie without giving away the little surprises that make this tale so intriguing. This is the first time I've seen Robert Pattinson outside of the Twilight movies, so it was a little bit of a shock to see him emote and express himself like a human instead of a Hollywood robot. All in all, great movie, and it's on my wishlist so I can get a BluRay copy.
Old 21st November 2019
  #466
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


Found this on a list of best sci-fi films on Amazon Prime. In High Life, a man and his baby daughter are the last survivors on a spaceship that's hurtling through space at nearly the speed of light. What I like about this movie is that it's not a monster or horror movie like so many other science fiction films try to be. This one is a human drama that explores the effects of isolation deep in space. It's less Aliens and more Solaris in that way. There's a lot more to it than that, but it's hard to talk about this movie without giving away the little surprises that make this tale so intriguing. This is the first time I've seen Robert Pattinson outside of the Twilight movies, so it was a little bit of a shock to see him emote and express himself like a human instead of a Hollywood robot. All in all, great movie, and it's on my wishlist so I can get a BluRay copy.
Hahahah... One of my favorite science fiction stories I read when I was 14, "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock.

A man is sent back through time to meet Jesus, but when he gets there he discovers there was never a "Jesus" and he becomes Jesus himself to fulfill the prophecy.
Old 21st November 2019
  #467
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Hahahah... One of my favorite science fiction stories I read when I was 14, "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock.

A man is sent back through time to meet Jesus, but when he gets there he discovers there was never a "Jesus" and he becomes Jesus himself to fulfill the prophecy.
Well thanks for the spoiler, ya jerk!
Old 21st November 2019
  #468
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


Isn't it funny how a movie can impact you one way when you're a kid, and then be completely different when you grow up and rewatch it? Like Poltergeist has always scared the hell out of me, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles went from being an important element of my childhood to being kinda crappy when I watched the show as an adult. So it turns out that Leviathan is the same way. This movie scared the snot out of me when I was a kid. I'd have awful nightmares about scaly creatures that could grow and fester inside of amputated limbs. Watching it now? Well not only is it not scary, but it's also quite ridiculous. If you've ever wished you could be part of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but didn't know what movie to give commentary to, this would be a great start. The laughs far outnumber the frights. So basically you take an all-star cast (you can tell where most of the budget with this movie because we've got Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson, Hector Elizondo, Richard Crenna, and Daniel Stern), give them the corniest script ever, throw some then-popular horror movie tropes in the mix, top it off with awful editing, and then season it with flamethrowers. Why have they got flamethrowers in an underwater vessel? Because Aliens had flamethrowers, and everybody thought Sigourney Weaver was cool as hell dropping one-liners and killing baddies. And there's a corrupt corporation, too! Also gotta love how there's a break in a water line, and the ship's computer knows down to the second when the vessel is going to implode.

If you're looking for a good movie, or even an okay movie, this ain't it. If you're into bad movies and like laughing at Hollywood mistakes though, this is your flick.
Old 21st November 2019
  #469
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post


Isn't it funny how a movie can impact you one way when you're a kid, and then be completely different when you grow up and rewatch it? Like Poltergeist has always scared the hell out of me, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles went from being an important element of my childhood to being kinda crappy when I watched the show as an adult. So it turns out that Leviathan is the same way. This movie scared the snot out of me when I was a kid. I'd have awful nightmares about scaly creatures that could grow and fester inside of amputated limbs. Watching it now? Well not only is it not scary, but it's also quite ridiculous. If you've ever wished you could be part of Mystery Science Theater 3000, but didn't know what movie to give commentary to, this would be a great start. The laughs far outnumber the frights. So basically you take an all-star cast (you can tell where most of the budget with this movie because we've got Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson, Hector Elizondo, Richard Crenna, and Daniel Stern), give them the corniest script ever, throw some then-popular horror movie tropes in the mix, top it off with awful editing, and then season it with flamethrowers. Why have they got flamethrowers in an underwater vessel? Because Aliens had flamethrowers, and everybody thought Sigourney Weaver was cool as hell dropping one-liners and killing baddies. And there's a corrupt corporation, too! Also gotta love how there's a break in a water line, and the ship's computer knows down to the second when the vessel is going to implode.

If you're looking for a good movie, or even an okay movie, this ain't it. If you're into bad movies and like laughing at Hollywood mistakes though, this is your flick.
Oh yes, the best movies I saw when I was 13.



(Oh and the original Star Wars)
Old 21st November 2019
  #470
Lives for gear
la grande bellezza (The Great Beauty) Subtitled


Sumptuous and self-indulgent, Sorrentino's latest is a Fellini-like feast for the eyes.
An ageing writer has spent many years seducing his way through the lavish nightlife of Rome for decades, but after his 65th birthday, he starts to look past the nightclubs and parties to find a landscape of exquisite beauty.
Release date: 6 September 2013 (United Kingdom)
Director: Paolo Sorrentino
Music composed by: Lele Marchitelli
Awards: Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
Screenplay: Paolo Sorrentino, Umberto Contarello
Old 27th November 2019
  #471
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar


Caught Eli on Netflix the other night. In the middle of this wild horror renaissance we're in the midst of, they can't all be winners, right? This movie isn't bad, it's just not very good. The whole movie, you know something wacky is going on because they won't stop dropping hints. There's a bit of a twist in the end regarding in what way things are wacky, and it's a neat twist, but not worth sitting through the whole movie to see it.



Also checked out In the Tall Grass. I'm one of those people that likes Stephen King's stories, but hates his writing, so it's always a treat when there's a movie adaptation, especially when it's done well. It's typical Stephen King fair, but not as enthusiastic or lively as his early works. His son had a hand in it and it shows in the way there's kind of a throwback to Stephen King's darker works. It's a movie that doesn't make any sense, but in a good way. Nothing is really explained, and it's that mysteriousness that makes it enjoyable. Like Eli, this isn't the greatest film, but I think this one is worth sitting through just for the weird ambiance, especially if you like your horror with a slice of existentialism.
Old 1st December 2019
  #472
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Watched "The Irishman" the other day and was incredibly disappointed. I read the book many moons ago so figured with the cast and director it was going to be a great movie.

It was long and slow which I can deal with but Pacino was awful as Hoffa - way over rated as an actor in my opinion. DeNiro and Pesci were good but the movie was mostly dull.

I've not been all that impressed with the stuff Scorsese has been putting out for quite some time now.

Read the book - pass on the movie.
Old 1st December 2019
  #473
I recently watched the Omen. I have seen the original trilogy in the past, but this one is the 2006 remake of the first film. It's just as good if not better than the original. It was well done!

Old 1st December 2019
  #474
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
My partner liked [Scorcese's "The Irishman,"] though.
Couples need fresh things to disagree about.

Speaking of which, I've been watching and re-watching "The Death of Stalin." Played almost entirely for laughs, if you can imagine, by a stellar mostly-Brit cast including Michael Palin, plus Steve Buscemi as Nikita Kruschev and Jeffrey Tambor as I-forget-who. I think it's total genius and my wife thinks I'm an idiot for thinking that.
Old 1st December 2019
  #475
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I recently watched the Omen. I have seen the original trilogy in the past, but this one is the 2006 remake of the first film. It's just as good if not better than the original. It was well done!
Thanks for that. I have this remake on DVD, but I haven't watched it because I was holding out to watch the original first. If it's comparable to the original, I'll have to actually watch this real soon.
Old 2nd December 2019
  #476
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Derp;14356824]Thanks for that. I have this remake on DVD, but I haven't watched it because I was holding out to watch the original first. If it's comparable to the original, I'll have to actually watch this real soon.
Old 9th December 2019
  #477
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Had kind of a dull weekend, so I caught some flicks:


I grew up as a fan of Venom, but I had low expectations for this movie, so that's why I'm only recently seeing it. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. It's obviously not in any way a deep or serious film, but it's a great popcorn film for fans of anti-heroes. A lot of what made this movie great though is Tom Hardy. He plays Eddie Brock very well and his improvisation was great. (The scene with the lobster tank was apparently not in the script at all; dude just hops into the tank and starts eating live lobsters like a maniac.) If you're in any way a fan of superhero movies, I think this is a good one where you don't have to be a total geek to enjoy it. Also, I'm now really looking forward to the sequel because of who's going to play Carnage.


The Bay is... kinda hard to define. It's been a day later, and I'm still trying to figure out what I think of it. I hate found-footage movies, but I picked it because it was on Tubi (I absolutely love the selection on this service, it's free, and I don't mind the commercial breaks), was directed by Barry Levinson (Rain Man!), and has a surprisingly good Rotten Tomatoes rating considering it's a horror flick that flopped pretty hard in theaters. It's got a very thinly-veiled theme of "don't **** with the environment or bad **** happens" and it handles it in a creative way. (Not really a spoiler because it's right there at the beginning of the movie, but the issues in this film are caused by chicken antibiotics and lax government oversight from too many agencies.) There wasn't any surprise to this movie, but it seems (to me) to be very realistically done and horrifyingly plausible. It gets pretty graphic at times (it's not often I'll stop eating while watching horror movies, but this is one where I had to put the fork down), but the message sticks with you. I kinda want to run down to the Gulf with a mop and some bleach.


This one's pretty well-hated by critics, but I still had to see it because I saw the cover of this on VHS at a video store as a kid and thought it was super cool. Plus it's got Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton! How cool is that? Well, not very cool at all actually. Brain Dead is a bit of a dud. It's a 'psychological' horror with a tired plot: Doctor investigates a crazy patient and starts to go crazy himself. Who's the real looney!? I'd think that for its time, it would have been novel, but I'm guessing by its rating that it was old hat even then. It's well acted, well filmed, and well edited. It's just that the script and the storyline both suck. There's a 'twist', but if you've been paying attention to the opening scenes, you'll already know exactly what that twist is.

Old 10th December 2019
  #478
Lives for gear
Thank you,
Old 10th December 2019
  #479
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
In spite of me saying that I'm going to spend less time in front of the TV...


So my wife found a way to get me excited about a movie that I had passed over a hundred times because it looks kind of cheesy. The description she gave to me was "a girl gets her period and becomes a werewolf-" and I stopped her right there because it was already just too awesome of a description. So Ginger Snaps is part drama, part dark comedy, and part horror. It's a coming-of-age tale about an outcast teenager that gets her first period and then gets bitten by a werewolf the same day. So not only is she dealing with puberty, but she's got an insatiable urge to kill. The story has more to do with her little sister though. Before all of this happened, they were extremely close, and now she's having to cope with her big sister's hormones and fits of rage. She just wants to get her sister back to normal. All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It's tame on the horror and the laughs, but high on emotion. Also, the soundtrack is pretty rad.
Old 10th December 2019
  #480
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
In spite of me saying that I'm going to spend less time in front of the TV...


So my wife found a way to get me excited about a movie that I had passed over a hundred times because it looks kind of cheesy. The description she gave to me was "a girl gets her period and becomes a werewolf-" and I stopped her right there because it was already just too awesome of a description. So Ginger Snaps is part drama, part dark comedy, and part horror. It's a coming-of-age tale about an outcast teenager that gets her first period and then gets bitten by a werewolf the same day. So not only is she dealing with puberty, but she's got an insatiable urge to kill. The story has more to do with her little sister though. Before all of this happened, they were extremely close, and now she's having to cope with her big sister's hormones and fits of rage. She just wants to get her sister back to normal. All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It's tame on the horror and the laughs, but high on emotion. Also, the soundtrack is pretty rad.
Gingersnaps is a brilliant film!......not least because 'Ginger's' sister looks strangely like Michael D'addario from 'The Lemon Twigs'.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump