The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your movie reviews
Old 16th September 2019
Oooh I have to watch that!

But Ruprecht and his Truck tyre in the Steve Martin one is a classic scene..
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

After reading the advice of Stephen King, I'm cutting back on my movie/TV watching and getting back into reading for fun. The other night, I had pizza and wings for dinner though, and you can't do anything but watch TV while binging on pineapple pizza and chicken slathered in sauce. So continuing my low-brow comedy fetish:

I've yet to see a Paul Feig movie that I didn't enjoy, and this was no exception. My gut ruptured like that scene with the defibrillator in The Thing because I was laughing so hard. It's got a predictable plot (of course, since it's a sendup of spy flicks), but it's still very worth watching. Plus, Jason Statham was HILARIOUS as a satire of the roles he normally plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
One of the most adrenaline-filled scenes in cinema. Even as a kid, I would cheer on Ripley after that line. I love the Alien movies so much. I've got a small collection of random Alien merch: A lunchbox, a couple action figures, a plushy facehugger, a spring-loaded facehugger egg for the office, the picture books about Jonesy, and that awesome Alien book that came out a few years back with the blueprints for the ship and little "evidence" slides.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

“Babe A Pig in the City” is a fantastic movie and anyone who thinks different is wrong. There, I said it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

We Have Always Lived in the Castle was great. As is the case with other Shirley Jackson adaptations, it's more of a drama than a horror, but it's an intriguing story about a troubled family. In this movie, a rich family remains housebound and remains shunned by the town they live in after one of the girls has been acquitted for the murder of her father. A distant cousin comes to visit and upends the twisted stability that the family found in this life. The principal actors were surprisingly good with their roles (I honestly didn't think Alexandra Daddario had that in her). Crispin Glover does a particularly memorable job with the role of the crazed uncle. All around, a very beautiful and enjoyable film.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

We Have Always Lived in the Castle was great. As is the case with other Shirley Jackson adaptations, it's more of a drama than a horror, but it's an intriguing story about a troubled family. In this movie, a rich family remains housebound and remains shunned by the town they live in after one of the girls has been acquitted for the murder of her father. A distant cousin comes to visit and upends the twisted stability that the family found in this life. The principal actors were surprisingly good with their roles (I honestly didn't think Alexandra Daddario had that in her). Crispin Glover does a particularly memorable job with the role of the crazed uncle. All around, a very beautiful and enjoyable film.
Gonna watch this today!

Also Marianne on netflix is really really creepy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:

Ever since she was in that It's Always Sunny episode, I can't say no to anything Alexandra Daddario does. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but will anyway: I watched the Baywatch flick. Anyway, I'm definitely going to have to check this out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Good movie, was thrown my the witch stuff but it had a good story line.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Also Marianne on netflix is really really creepy.
I saw that last night when I was browsing. I'm trying to stop watching so much TV and read more, but man, that one is tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5cc4b50 View Post
Ever since she was in that It's Always Sunny episode, I can't say no to anything Alexandra Daddario does. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but will anyway: I watched the Baywatch flick. Anyway, I'm definitely going to have to check this out.
I thought she was just another (eerily) pretty face, but nope: She can act, too!
Old 3 weeks ago
I recently watched Mimic 2 & Mimic 3 (The Sentinel). Mimic 2 wasn't bad IMHO but Mimic 3 was a lot worse.

Anyways the first movie in the franchise is the best, Mimic, and if you're gonna watch it, watch Mimic (The Director's Cut).

The story line is about an experiment to eradicate cockroaches in New York City that carried a disease that was killing children. The experiment goes horribly wrong and mutates some of the nasty roaches. They grow as tall as an adult human and "mimic" a human being. At night they stalk and kill people. The first movie is pretty damn creepy and will give ya the willies!

I own the first movie but had not seen the sequels. I'm gonna buy the 3 movie collection from Amazon for 10 bucks to have the complete set.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I'll have to give it a rewatch sometime. I don't remember liking it when I saw it, but that probably has to do more with the fact that 1.) I was a lot younger when I saw it and 2.) I think this came out around the same time as Phantoms, and Phantoms was just such an eerie ass movie that it got all of my attention.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Talk about a fun movie! Rim of the World is one of those alien apocalypse disaster films (think Independence Day and Battle: Los Angeles) but from the perspective of some teenagers at a summer camp, and it is legitimately funny and exciting. It's ridiculous and over the top, but that's kinda the point of the movie. I'm not normally a McG fan, but after this and The Babysitter, I'm starting to warm up to his sense of humor.

Speaking of McG, though: I can admit this in pseudo-anonymity, but I actually really enjoy Terminator: Salvation. I know it's blasphemy, but I think I like this one more than T2 and almost as much as I love the first Terminator. There. I said it. Put me on your ignore list if you must.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Shazam - not bad, not great. Silly fun basically.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:

"Word b*tch, Phantoms like a motherf*cker."
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Christian bale's freakout during the filming of salvation was its main redemption in my opinion...
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Christian bale's freakout during the filming of salvation was its main redemption in my opinion...

Shouldn't expect much from Salvation as a flick. From what I heard the DP was a real amateur.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Shouldn't expect much from Salvation as a flick. From what I heard the DP was a real amateur.
I think it was generally poorly written.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I think it was generally poorly written.
And how was it? I hope it was f**king good, because it's useless now, isn't it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
And how was it? I hope it was f**king good, because it's useless now, isn't it?
Wut? You mean because the new movie messes with the canon or whatever?

Like I wrote, I really think it was a pretty poorly written movie considering the actors in it and the money spent and the franchise (brand)...

Still, it was "great" compared to "Genisys", and frickin' "The seventh seal" compared to the new Star Wars nonsense...
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 5cc4b50
The "how was it" and amateur DP come from Bale's rant. I haven't actually seen Salvation, or any of the Terminator movies after T2.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The "how was it" and amateur DP come from Bale's rant. I haven't actually seen Salvation, or any of the Terminator movies after T2.
You do it one more ****ing time and I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired. I'm ****ing serious. You're a nice guy. You're a nice guy, but that don't ****ing cut it when you're ****ing around like this on set.
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:
You do it one more ****ing time and I ain't walking on this set if you're still hired. I'm ****ing serious. You're a nice guy. You're a nice guy, but that don't ****ing cut it when you're ****ing around like this on set.
I think Mattias' point has been proven. The rant video has far surpassed the film's viewership and ability to stick into our collective memory.

"Let's not take a f*cking minute. Let's go again."
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

lol...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I saw JOKER today.

One of the best movies I've seen for a while. Joaquin Phoenix is absolutely brilliant. Oscar nomination for sure I reckon.

It's quite disturbing and dark, but it certainly moved me and my 14 & 16yo kids. We discussed the movie for sometime afterwards.

The Score was great too

Last edited by stixstudios; 2 weeks ago at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Not telling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

More evidence that not everybody likes the same thing: I started reading "The Haunting of Hill House" because I loved the show so much. What's interesting as I'm reading though is that I'm not imagining the characters from the show. The people who fit the roles in my head better are the ones from the 1999 version of "The Haunting" which is much closer to the book it turns out. I didn't realize that Catherine Zeta Jones, Lili Taylor, Liam Neeson, and Owen Wilson had played the parts so perfectly, but as strange as their characters were in the movie, that's pretty much how they were in the book. Reading up on the movie, it got critically destroyed. So I guess I'm the only person that liked that movie in the first place, but twenty years later I'm rediscovering it and appreciating it more than ever.
Old 2 weeks ago
A horror film that parents can relate to:
Quote:
A relaxing Christmas vacation turns into a terrifying fight for survival as the children begin to turn on their parents.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1204946_children
Tasteful low-budget gore with delightful suspense.

By-line: "You brought them into this world....now they will take you out."
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Toy Story 2 - a worthy successor. I heard 4 was out and realized I never saw 2 or 3.
Old 4 days ago
My local library puts on a free monthly "bad movie night". I went for the first time this month as they were showing "The Abominable Doctor Phibes" with Vincent Price.

I loved that film way back when, and it still had that campy vibe going. Totally different from Vincent's earlier stuff- much less serious, so it's a lot of fun to watch if you like his films.

P.S. Hey! I just got my 10-year pin. Cool!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Toy Story 2 - a worthy successor. I heard 4 was out and realized I never saw 2 or 3.
I took my girls to see the Toy Story movies 1 And 2 when they re-released them and were playing in the theaters... good stuff, 4 hours of candy and popcorn. Also this:

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search