The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your movie reviews
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Tonight I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's a great thriller packed with suspense and a wild twist at the end.
I'll check it out...

Old 18th June 2019
Gear Guru

I watched The Perfection last night. "Genre-bending" is an apt description for it. It's got a lot of twists and turns. None of this movie is what it seems. I definitely enjoyed the ride. Make sure to pack a strong stomach though, for multiple reasons.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Searching - A Korean American man loses his wife to cancer and several years later his only daughter goes missing. A really interesting film, shown mostly from the perspective of him searching the internet, her online accounts etc for clues. And a damn good flick IMO, none of the characters are perfect heroes or terrible monsters.....they're flawed human beings, like the rest of us, with good and bad. Very realistic. This should have gotten WAY more attention than it did.
Old 19th June 2019
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Shazam - kind of silly and hokey - but in a good way.
I couldn't stand the hokeyness. (A plastic Costume with a light in it?) My kids enjoyed it though.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear
THEY...ALL...SUCK!

This review applies to any movie released after Pacific Rim...and maybe before.
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
THEY...ALL...SUCK!

This review applies to any movie released after Pacific Rim...and maybe before.
Probably ought to apply that to Pacific Rim as well to be on safe side. Don't want to be exclusionary.
Old 19th June 2019
A few nights ago I watched Jack Reacher starring Tom Cruise. It's a pretty good action film about a military contractor that has gone rogue.

Old 19th June 2019
Deleted df98c51
Pacific Rim had horrible scaling. The size of the CGI's was off scene to scene. An oil tanker should be longer than 4 lanes of traffic. As a family movie perhaps kids like it.

Marvel has no story, you have to like,,, feed it your's.

Why the suck? Movies were fun.

Movies were quotable.

Marvels Endgame movie is supposedly being re-release again on the 28th. With a post credit scene. Greedy mofo's.
I missed it. 3 hrs of superhero spacemen is too much. Put it on the rental list.
Old 20th June 2019
Fathers day watching with the kids (boys 13, 12 & 8) was

Daddy's Home
The Muppets

A good time was had by all!

Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
The Muppets
The Muppet movies are classic. Even the newer ones are pretty decent.
Old 23rd June 2019
Deleted df98c51
I like movies with a cocaine theme. De Palma did it well, portrait the romance of it. Tarrantino did it with True Romance and Pulp. There is just something cineamatic about it. Its like cocaine is the fuel for a good story. The element 115 if you will.

I like military conquest type movies too. There is just so much of a chess game to it, to build a story off. It becomes rich storytelling.
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Fathers day watching with the kids (boys 13, 12 & 8) was

Daddy's Home
The Muppets

A good time was had by all!

Can't go wrong w/the Muppets. Jim Henson was a genius. If they liked that you should find DVDs of the old show from the 70s, great stuff and (for its time) a great cross-section of guest stars.

I tried and failed to finish watching "Split." It's (kind of) the sequel to "Unbreakable," although Willis appears only briefly. I wouldn't say it was bad, in fact the main actor was very good, but they movie was just not that interesting to me. There were better split personality movies.
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Guru

Been watching stuff on 'Tubi' lately. Free streaming platform with a some advertisements, but what's cool is it's got an emphasis on older movies, especially in the horror section. So, I got to check out The Gate and House this weekend. The Gate has aged pretty well. It's still as creepy to me now as it was when I was a little kid. I love the claymation effects at the end. House was one of those movies I'd always meant to check out, but never got around to. Turns out it's not a serious horror at all. In fact... it's pretty funny in a b-grade comedy kind of way. The plot is a bit on the flimsy side, though. Don't try to let it float on its own because like a colander, this one has a lot of holes.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
A few nights ago I watched Jack Reacher starring Tom Cruise. It's a pretty good action film about a military contractor that has gone rogue.

Oh I thought this was much better..
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Stumbled on an unusual ad on FaceBook last night for a movie available on Tubi. I figure it's been a long time since I've seen a real indie film, so I gave it a shot.

Nothing Really Happens is an absurdist surreal dark comedy that bounces around between a couple different subgenres. Think Brazil meets Wrong Cops with a twist of Lost Highway. It's also very funny. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. The flow of dialog is insane. If you're in the mood for something funny and weird, I recommend it.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Stumbled on an unusual ad on FaceBook last night for a movie available on Tubi. I figure it's been a long time since I've seen a real indie film, so I gave it a shot.

Nothing Really Happens is an absurdist surreal dark comedy that bounces around between a couple different subgenres. Think Brazil meets Wrong Cops with a twist of Lost Highway. It's also very funny. I haven't laughed this hard in a while. The flow of dialog is insane. If you're in the mood for something funny and weird, I recommend it.

Man, I love Tubi, mainly for all the crappy B-flicks. No other streaming service offers up as many movies with the word "bikini" or "massacre" in the titles as they do (Bikini Swamp Girl Massacre being the clear zenith of films on tap). The overall selection of more mainstream flicks is pretty good too. Especially for the price (if it's free, it's me). I'm def going to have to check Nothing Really Happens out.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Man, I love Tubi, mainly for all the crappy B-flicks. No other streaming service offers up as many movies with the word "bikini" or "massacre" in the titles as they do (Bikini Swamp Girl Massacre being the clear zenith of films on tap). The overall selection of more mainstream flicks is pretty good too. Especially for the price (if it's free, it's me). I'm def going to have to check Nothing Really Happens out.
Agreed. I'm addicted to Tubi. In general, I do enjoy Netflix, but I watch a lot more older movies, which Tubi has (Nightbreed, Lifeforce, Flowers in the Attic...) Plus dude... a whole category just for Full Moon Pictures? How cool is that!?
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Watched Nothing Really Happens last night, what a wild flick. The ending was a bit flat, but it kind of felt like the writer was in a corner with no way to maintain the energy of the film and still wrap things up nicely. Tons of great lines in it, some really clever stuff.

Had to search Full Moon Pictures, looks like it's right in my wheelhouse! If Beach Babes from Beyond and Sorority Babes In The Slimball Bowl-o-Rama are even half as good as Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death I am in for a real treat. Malibu Express looks pretty good too.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

I have a soft spot for Full Moon and Charles Band films in general as I grew up on them. I love me some b-grade horror.
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted df98c51
Boobs and sword play? DeathStalker series?

Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post

I just skimmed through it on Tubi. Mud wrestling, bloody hammers, and Roger Corman? I'm in!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post

Hahahha...

This was the first movie I did special-makeup effects for when I was still a teenager living in Arizona. At least they let me play co-pilot in the helicopter scenes... The Director radioed me once during that..."Mitch stop laughing!!! You're supposed to be the ****ing bad guy!"

Old 26th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Hahahha...

This was the first movie I did special-makeup effects for when I was still a teenager living in Arizona. At least they let me play co-pilot in the helicopter scenes... The Director radioed me once during that..."Mitch stop laughing!!! You're supposed to be the ****ing bad guy!"

That is awesome! Had to fast-forward to the helicopter scene. You definitely look like a ****ing bad guy!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Jonah Hex
awful....just awful...baled after 20m

I want that 20 minutes back.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

US last night with my daughter.

weird

I got Get Out

Not sure I got this one
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
US last night with my daughter.

weird

I got Get Out

Not sure I got this one
It's taking a lot of restraint to not run out and buy the BluRay right now. I liked Get Out (I LOVED the original ending and wish they'd kept that in the movie instead of as just an extra feature) and have nothing buy high expectations for Us.
Old 1st July 2019
Not a movie per se, but it's an outstanding series! Jack Ryan by Tom Clancy.

A ex-marine, now a CIA analyst, discovers high dollar transactions en-route to terrorists in the Middle East. The series is excellently carried out with very good actors, fantastic music score, and high definition, or 4K for those that can stream in ultra HD.

Highly recommend!

Old 1st July 2019
Gear Guru

Warning: I'm probably going to be on an anime kick for a whole minute while I get my cyberpunk fix going. Some jerk posted a video of a synthwave track with clips from older anime, and it jogged my memory that anime didn't always have to be about kids stuff.

This one's on Tubi as well as YouTube. Ignoring the goofy name, Lily C.A.T. is actually a whole lot of fun. It came out in 1987, and it's a very clear ripoff of Alien, but it's got some nifty twists. Namely, instead of a xenomorph, the chief baddy is actually a bit of extraterrestrial bacteria that's mutating out of control. There's some other differences from Alien involved, but I don't want to spoil any surprises. It's barely over an hour long, so I'm sure you can find time to watch it.

Black Magic M-66. This one's only a couple hundred bucks on Amazon if you want a hard copy. LOL! A couple experimental military androids accidentally get switched on while being transported. For some stupid reason, the scientist that wrote the test program for them set his granddaughter as the target. So these things go on the loose, a journalist finds out about them, and in typical theatrical fashion, she manages to stay a couple steps ahead of the military. So of course, she is the only one that can save the little girl while these androids go on a massive rampage of murder, destruction, and general mayhem. The plot is ridiculous, but the destruction is fun. Things go bang pow boom.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

A ex-marine, now a CIA analyst, discovers high dollar transactions en-route to terrorists in the Middle East. The series is excellently carried out with very good actors, fantastic music score, and high definition, or 4K for those that can stream in ultra HD.

Highly recommend!
I thought the first one was pretty good. Didn't realize there was a "series" of them, will check

On a recommendation I saw "Glass" last night. I thought it sucked tbh.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Highly recommend!
I thought the first one was pretty good. Didn't realize there was a "series" of them, will check

Despite not being crazy about "Split" I saw "Glass" last night. I thought it really sucked tbh. Very disappointing sequels to Unbreakable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search