The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Goodbye Netflix - who's better?
Old 7th August 2018
Lives for gear
Goodbye Netflix - who's better?

Have had them for years but I'm done. Every time they make a change it's for the worse. They've screwed around with the user interface numerous times - again, always making it worse - and now in another pointless stupid move, they have stopped allowing people to post reviews of what they've seen. I get that this can be debatable in its value, but it has helped - for example, if something is almost universally panned, it's a near-given that it does indeed suck (I've tested this theory enough to say that with confidence). And their original stuff underwhelms me more and more, so no big loss there. Time to check out the competitors. Others that you have and like and why?
Old 7th August 2018
Deleted e999d8e
Let's see...competition...

My girlfriend comes over to my place, we have cocktails, and then she rides me like a dimestore pony. I still haven't found my remote, dammit.

Seriously, though, I catch free stuff on Vudu. I am a Forensic Files addict, a binge watcher. I love old truCrime TV shows. A-list movies I just buy on disc. It bothers me to rent stuff or pay for subscription access.
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

BBC iPlayer
Old 8th August 2018
Lives for gear

So many options. HBONow, Hulu, Amazon, streaming TV services with on demand content and DVR.

I'd recommend hopping on DirecTVNow for their 3months/$10 promo and adding on HBO for $5/month which includes the HBO streaming app. That'll get you through the next 3 months at least. Then hop to whoever has the best promo at the time.
Old 13th August 2018
Google has a movie renting service (Play Movies) and it's not bad. Not "great" as the catalogue is a bit slim but you can find some decent movies in there and the rental is quite affordable. You have 30 days to watch, with 48 hours once you hit play.
Old 16th August 2018
I use On Demand, it comes with my cable service. I prefer to buy my favorites though and on Blu-Ray.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I use On Demand, it comes with my cable service. I prefer to buy my favorites though and on Blu-Ray.
Man I'd cut cord.

I've tried Sling, Spectrum's Streaming service (NOT recommended, the worst of them for many reasons) and DirecTVNow so far (there's also Youtube TV and Playstation Vue) and don't miss cable a bit, just as good, all the main channels without the 2000 filler channels, plus DVR, on demand, and access to any channel apps.

DirecTVNow's 3 months at $10/month can't be beat. They gave me a fourth month for $10 after some technical difficulties, and then I cancelled that account and opened an account from another email for another 3 months for $10 (I'll keep doing this until the discount ends). HBO is just $5 more. So I'm on 7 months of TV + HBO at $15/month.

Good times for the consumer because these companies keep discounting to try to land this whole new demographic of cord cutting TV watchers. I've been bouncing around from deal to deal the past few years. Its as simple as clicking "cancel service" and signing up for another one to move from one to the other.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

I pay an average of 212 a month for everything Directv offers. I really enjoy watching tv, plus I have netflix, hulu and amazon prime. If its ur bag, cable is legit and channel surfing is where its at. You have to know what to watch to watch it.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
We'll agree to disagree - cable/TV in general IMO has gotten so lame and dominated by crap that I gave up cable years ago and never looked back; don't miss it at all.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear

i will agree with that. All the qvc and news channels and advertising channels really suck the life out of cable. But its a diamonds in the rough like succession, billions, twin peaks the return, true detective, power and outcast just to name a few.
Old 1st September 2018
Lives for gear
Any channel that spews any kind of advertising at the top/bottom of the screen WHILE THE SHOW IS GOING ON is IMO a POS channel I have zero interest in (one of many reasons I opted out of cable).
Old 2nd September 2018
Gear Guru

I watch more Amazon Prime than Netflix, but it sucks, too. The best solution is to look around and see who has the movies you want to watch, and drop it when you've watched them.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I watch more Amazon Prime than Netflix, but it sucks, too. The best solution is to look around and see who has the movies you want to watch, and drop it when you've watched them.
If you got amazon, watch Jack Ryan
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
i will agree with that. All the qvc and news channels and advertising channels really suck the life out of cable. But its a diamonds in the rough like succession, billions, twin peaks the return, true detective, power and outcast just to name a few.
DirectTVnow/SlingTV/etc are the answer.

A fraction of the cost, to stream only the channels that matter, with all the joys of channel flipping. No idea why anyone is still using cable or satellite. Streaming Cable TV is de-subsiziding all the crap they add on to inflate cable.
Old 3rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
DirectTVnow/SlingTV/etc are the answer.

A fraction of the cost, to stream only the channels that matter, with all the joys of channel flipping. No idea why anyone is still using cable or satellite. Streaming Cable TV is de-subsiziding all the crap they add on to inflate cable.
I may look into directvnow
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I may look into directvnow
It'll take a few weeks to get used to the different interface, but now cable seems clunky to me and I'll bring a Roku along on trips to hotels and AirBnBs and use that instead of the provided TV.

Also, the faster your smart device, the smoother and faster the channel flipping and navigation. This is important.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
It'll take a few weeks to get used to the different interface, but now cable seems clunky to me and I'll bring a Roku along on trips to hotels and AirBnBs and use that instead of the provided TV.

Also, the faster your smart device, the smoother and faster the channel flipping and navigation. This is important.
i just did a comparison and with no internet contract ill probably be paying the same for all the directvnow channels and separate internet. The pay channels push it up beyond the 100 mark a month and internet is 70. I pay 194 with taxes without sunday ticket so i might as well stay, as soon as this contract expires im probably gonna make the move.
Old 4th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i just did a comparison and with no internet contract ill probably be paying the same for all the directvnow channels and separate internet. The pay channels push it up beyond the 100 mark a month and internet is 70. I pay 194 with taxes without sunday ticket so i might as well stay, as soon as this contract expires im probably gonna make the move.
Ahh $30 internet difference, one of the few areas Cali is cheaper than other places thanks to no taxes on essential goods and regulations. That makes the difference.

I haven't priced going all out, I have the minimal package plus HBO, and caught their 10/month for 3 month deal twice in a row, adding on HBO for $5 and none of the other premiums.

When my final months are up I'll bounce to whoever is cheapest. It makes no difference really, Sling vs Youtube vs Directvnow vs Playstation Vue etc etc. Just a different app on the same devices with no contract and easy immediate sign up and cancellation, so I've bounced around to the best price the last couple years.

Cable may be the better deal if you want everything though, especially if you need a home phone line.
Old 4th September 2018
Gear Guru

I got Spectrum now, TV, internet and phone, and it is about $50 less than the same services I had with Comcast back in Minnesota.

And I still use Netflix, it is now covered under my T-Mobile plan. I pay a little for it because I have 4 users set up (my daughters use it), otherwise it would be free.
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Mostly watching Netflix and Amazon Prime Video over here. There are so may good movies & shows out there you just have to find them in the sea of dross.

I watched the original Korean Old Boy about 7 months ago. That was the most haunting story I have EVER seen! One of the (if not THE greatest) thrillers of all time!

Saw Annihilation a couple weeks back with Natalie Portman. Really good movie. Way deeper than I thought it was going to be. Had me thinking afterward. Also check out the Invited. Some awesomely wicked twists in that one.

I also love to binge watch streamed shows. A few of my favorites are Breaking Bad, Weeds, Rectify, The Shield, The Wire, DareDevil the Netflix original and True Blood. I'm currently checking out Sons of Anarchy but I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet...
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post

Saw Annihilation a couple weeks back with Natalie Portman. Really good movie. Way deeper than I thought it was going to be. Had me thinking afterward. Also check out the Invited. Some awesomely wicked twists in that one.
I'll have to check it out. Natalie is a great actress.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear
I thought that movie sucked in the extreme, but really not the point of the thread
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Guru

Several years ago, I used to spend a lot of time watching movies on Netflix, not so much now as I just don't have time.

But I was making a list of what I considered 4 and 5 star movies. I haven't updated it in a few years, but there are some good ones in here!

Sorry, it's long. I tried to attach the Word doc, didn't work. Each one has the Netflix link to the movie if anyone would like it.

5 star movies:

After the Wedding

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

The Stoning of Soraya M.

Sling Blade

Conversations with Other Women

The Hurricane

Radio Days

Transsiberian

Rabbit-Proof Fence

Waking Life

High Fidelity

Amadeus

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Shrink

The Cider House Rules

The Kite Runner

Dirty Pretty Things

Once

Revolutionary Road

The Fall

A Simple Plan

Chocolat

4 star movies:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Woodsman

Amelie

As It Is in Heaven

The Diary Of Anne Frank

Tyson

Grass

The Secret in Their Eyes

The Cove

Lars and the Real Girl

Before Sunrise

Almost Famous

Sicko

In America

Crazy Heart

Everything Is Illuminated

The Namesake

After Innocence

Gloomy Sunday

Deliver Us from Evil

Rosenstrasse
Ram Dass: Fierce Grace

Sleeping Dogs Lie

Sunshine Cleaning

Harold and Maude

The Snow Walker

Pan's Labyrinth

Elling

Cherry Blossoms

Dear Zachary

American Violet

I Have Never Forgotten You

Whatever Works

Jakob the Liar

Julia

K-Pax

Strictly Sexual

Network

Gandhi

Innocent Voices

The Visitor

SherryBaby

Trade

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Keeping Mum

Twilight Zone The Movie

Goya's Ghosts

The Counterfeiters

Letters from Iwo Jima

The Last Time

Arranged

Aftershock Beyond the Civil War

Being There

Honeydripper

Broken Flowers

The Human Stain

I Love You, Man

Wristcutters: A Love Story

Sideways

American Beauty

The Motorcycle Diaries

The Big Lebowski

House of Sand and Fog

Primal Fear

The Squid and the Whale

The Shipping News

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Swimming Pool

Elegy

sex, lies, and videotape

Little Children

The Reader

Bound

In the Name of the Father

Into the Wild

Memento

The Affair

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Frida

Secretary

Ran

There Will Be Blood

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

No Man's Land

Who Killed the Electric Car?

Requiem for a Dream

After Innocence

The Burning Plain

Crazy Heart

Deliver Us from Evil

Everything is Illuminated

Hounddog

Into the Arms of Strangers

Seven Pounds
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I'll have to check it out. Natalie is a great actress.

Definitely put it on your watchlist! It's a very tense and extremely thought provoking film and yeah Natalie rocks.

One thing I forgot to mention is the director (Alex Garland) has a really unique way of story telling. He's really doing things with the material you don't expect.

Alex also directed Ex Machina (also on Netflix), which is another brilliant and thought provoking Sci-Fi/Thriller.

I thought Ex Machina was one of the best Sci-Fi's I've seen in many, many, many years (and so did many critics). The ending will catch you off guard.

P.S. Bonus points...the music in Annihilation is absolutely fantastic and sets the mood perfectly!
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I thought that movie sucked in the extreme, but really not the point of the thread

HaHa, lol. No worries. Different strokes as they say. The movie is more intellectual than a traditional Sci-Fi thriller. The trailer makes you think there is a lot of action but the essence and beauty of this film is in the unfolding of the story and the reveal. It's a very "Alex Garland" way of story telling.

bill5...did you see the original Korean Old Boy and if so what did you think of that movie?

@ Sounds Great - Man you really have diverse taste based on your list above. Good stuff!

P.S. Some really good ones on that list too! Cider House Rules, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Watch the original Swedish version! It's a masterpiece!

The Kite Runner! Wow!!!!! Let me just say, the Kite Runner almost had me in tears at the end and I have never ever cried during or after a movie. Ever! Isn't it based on a true story?
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
he Dragon Tattoo. Watch the original Swedish version! It's a masterpiece!

The Kite Runner! Wow!!!!! Let me just say, the Kite Runner almost had me in tears at the end and I have never ever cried during or after a movie. Ever! Isn't it based on a true story?
Those were only the movies that made it to 4 or 5 stars!

One of the worst movies I saw was Irreversible.

No stars for you!
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Guru

I saw Old Boy. I think it was after I stopped keeping track. Pretty good if I recall.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Those were only the movies that made it to 4 or 5 stars!

One of the worst movies I saw was Irreversible.

No stars for you!

I didn’t like irreversible either!!! Could only get thru the first 20 minutes or so.

The movie I mentioned above was “The Invitation”. Completely different movie, different league. :0)
Old 27th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
I stick with Netflix as it just works.. Nothing streams for ultra HD as reliably in OZ.. the main competitor Stan sucks features wise in comparison.

Yes, I am annoyed they changed the system that allowed me to completely exclude types of shows. And then they removed the rating system. And now, they no longer allow quality settings override in any browser on OSX.. if i was using a metered 4G connection, i used to be able to press shift/ctrl/alt/S then set it to SD res for example, and it would never go higher than that. Now you can bring up the menu but it will no longer override any settings, no matter what. So because 4G is always fast enough for ultra HD in metro areas here, I have stopped watching netflix at all when tethered to my phone as it wipes out my data with one show and is always in damn ultra HD (or whatever the highest setting is for retina macbooks, i think it's 7500 using netflix's video bitrate number system).

They removed ratings because a couple of comedians got butt hurt that people didn't like their crappy show and lame jokes. It's scary that they changed an entire system for that.

But Stan doesn't even let you review a show at ALL or even give a thumbs up or down, the streaming is problematic on TV's when you want to pause and resume, and many other niggles. Whenever i need a fantasy fix, Netflix is always there for me, so, i begrudgingly keep it going on the 4 screen plan and let my folks log into it at their place too

Amazon prime is now in OZ, i know the selection is way better OS, but over here, it's not even close to Netflix..

I have logged in via VPN to check the netflix american catalog, and the Australian one is surprisingly very good.. no other service comes close here.. but biggest thing of all, i have had it since day one, and never, ever, not even once, had a streaming issue. It always just works. That's enough to keep it going. But their changes and attitude do suck. I agree with that.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

kodi still works..you just need too keep regularly checking forums too find new builds once one goes down.i agree Netflix is a nightmare too use.it only shows you sjw crap and stuff you've no intrest in even though its supposed to track your watching habits and only show you stuff related too it.
I love horror and scifi movies so I used too spend ages searching for stuff I wanted to watch but it would always put sjw/leftist propaganda stuff too the front even though I had no interest in watching any of that garbage.
and the final straw was when they started showing anti white racist stuff like dear white people that's when I thought not paying for this so cancelled net thing ill be cancelling is tv liscence when its due next year we don't watch hardly anything in our house.
in our house my son is always playing his video games ..my wife loves watching youtube vids and if im not playing games with my son or watching vids with wife im in the studio so we never watch tv.

and on the odd occasion we watch classic old stuff on kodi nothing beats the old comedys from the 80s such as only fools and horses/young ones...etc and cartoon shows like family guy/American dad/brickleberry..etc.

if your still wanting too keep Netflix then share it with your friends if you get the top package its around £10 but you can share the account with 4 friends so its only £2.50 a month if you only want to watch the odd movie.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search